Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the schism

Type
    iNTP

the schism

let's collect some ideas regarding "schism" !?

you start.
    Fuck Magic

Type
    INFP
    The schism is what occurs when fetishes collide with fuck magic.
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    While I think that whole album is underrated in some ways, I find the song a bit pretentious and formulaic. It's a fine demonstration of the band's considerable technical acumen, but I think it lacks some of the ineffable energy and frisson that make songs like "46 and 2" such a joy to listen to. Really, the Aenima album represents their musical peak, if you ask me. Lateralus is better than 10,000 Days by a significant margin, but in retrospect, listening to all of their albums in chronological succession will show that this is the one where they began to lose some of their mojo. Maynard's ego had clearly ballooned to titanic proportions, and they were no doubt dealing with the plateau and lack of drive that tends to affect a lot of bands after they've achieved considerable commercial success. It was really only a short step from there to "I think the real reason people buy our albums is because they like listening to trite hippie bullshit I thought up while I was doing acid" and "I think I'll go start fifteen different side bands."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INFP

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Here's one

Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP

Wiki: Splitting

Splitting (also called black and white thinking or all-or-nothing thinking) is the failure in a person's thinking to bring together both positive and negative qualities of the self and others into a cohesive, realistic whole. It is a common defense mechanism used by many people.[1] The individual tends to think in extremes (i.e., an individual's actions and motivations are all good or all bad with no middle ground.)

The concept of splitting was developed by Ronald Fairbairn in his formulation of object relations theory;[2] it begins as the inability of the infant to combine the fulfilling aspects of the parents (the good object) and their unresponsive aspects (the unsatisfying object) into the same individuals, but sees the good and bad as separate. In psychoanalytic theory this functions as a defense mechanism.[3] It is a relatively common defense mechanism for people with borderline personality disorder in DSM-IV-TR.

Relationships

Splitting creates instability in relationships because one person can be viewed as either personified virtue or personified vice at different times, depending on whether he or she gratifies the subject's needs or frustrates them. This along with similar oscillations in the experience and appraisal of the self lead to chaotic and unstable relationship patterns, identity diffusion, and mood swings. The therapeutic process can be greatly impeded by these oscillations, because the therapist too can become seen as all good or all bad. To attempt to overcome the negative effects on treatment outcome, constant interpretations by the therapist are needed.[4]
    Splitting contributes to unstable relationships and intense emotional experiences. Splitting is not uncommon during adolescence, but is regarded as transient. Splitting has been noted especially with persons diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.[5][6] Treatment strategies have been developed for individuals and groups based on dialectical behavior therapy, and for couples.[7] There are also self-help books on related topics such as mindfulness and emotional regulation that have been helpful for individuals who struggle with the consequences of splitting.[8]

Borderline personality disorder

Main article: Borderline personality disorder
    Splitting is a relatively common defense mechanism for people with borderline personality disorder.[6] One of the DSM IV-TR criteria for this disorder is a description of splitting: "a pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation".[9][10] In psychoanalytic theory, people with borderline personality disorder are not able to integrate the good and bad images of both self and others, resulting in a bad representation which dominates the good representation.[11] This school hypothesizes that they consequently experience love and sexuality in perverse and violent qualities which they cannot integrate with the tender, intimate side of relationships.[12]

Narcissistic personality disorder

Main article: Narcissistic personality disorder
    People matching the diagnostic criteria for narcissistic personality disorder also use splitting as a central defense mechanism. Most often the narcissist does this as an attempt to stabilize his/her sense of self positivity in order to preserve his/her self-esteem, by perceiving himself/herself as purely upright or admirable and others who do not conform to his/her will or values as purely wicked or contemptible. Given "the narcissist's perverse sense of entitlement and splitting ... [s]he can be equally geared, psychologically and practically, towards the promotion and towards the demise of a certain collectively beneficial project".[13]
    The cognitive habit of splitting also implies the use of other related defense mechanisms, namely idealization and devaluation, which are preventative attitudes or reactions to narcissistic rage and narcissistic injury.[11]
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

BeyondUrLatestAdCampaigns ciphersort's Avatar
    Type
    iNtp

Type
    iNTP
    thanks. adding to the "splitting - wiki", from the same article:
    "Main article: Transference
    It has been suggested that interpretation of the transference "becomes effective through a sort of splitting of the ego into a reasonable, judging portion and an experiencing portion, the former recognizing the latter as not appropriate in the present and as coming from the past".[40] Clearly, "in this sense, splitting, so far from being a pathological phenomenon, is a manifestation of self-awareness".[41] Nevertheless, "it remains to be investigated how this desirable 'splitting of the ego' and 'self-observation' are to be differentiated from the pathological cleavage ... directed at preserving isolations".[40]

- for the sake of balance...

enjoyed the Tango
    Fuck Magic

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    Wiki: Splitting

Splitting (also called black and white thinking or all-or-nothing thinking) is the failure in a person's thinking to bring together both positive and negative qualities of the self and others into a cohesive, realistic whole. It is a common defense mechanism used by many people.[1] The individual tends to think in extremes (i.e., an individual's actions and motivations are all good or all bad with no middle ground.)
    Awesome, you just described my ex. I had actually forgotten about this. Everyone sort of went through their regular cycle of being in his good graces, which would propell them to some kind of super-human status, and then as soon as they began to criticize him in any way or try to, you know, simply stand by their own points of view without kissing his ass, or maybe by not including him in everything he thought he was entitled to be included in, they would rapidly descend from their pedestal and begin to collect negative traits to conform a whole new personality. It was as if he began to hate them with the same passion that he liked them in the beginning.

I think it had a lot to do with narcissism and the refusal to be seen as anything but praise-worthy to other people. Something that I feel ashamed to recognize now is that he actually got depressed when he was around people smarter or more knowledgeable than him and they were better at engaging a group than he was on any particular topic (he didn't care when that person was me, because in some weirdly possessive way, I guess my being his gf meant it was... still him, somehow, in his mind). It's just so petty and loathesome to derive misery from being around interesting people, it makes my skin crawl to think I was involved with him. These people find manipulation as easy as breathing though. So I suppose I get to tell myself that.

Oh yeah, the whole pedestal thing happened to me as well, of course, he went from idolizing me to saying he was going to kill me.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    It's mental insulation against the perpetuation of a social cycle , but also a form of brutality.