Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    [animal photos]
    love them. out of curiosity, where is your ranch?

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    If you think silkies are funny, you should see a Polish chicken. They have a feathered crest, but unlike the mildly dignified Sultans, theirs is a poof-ball that flounces like a feathery koosh.
    silkies are awesome and polish chicks are the cuuuuuutest
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

chillest-ass amphibian is my fav of the latest batch. Love the lighting and the wet pavement texture.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    love them. out of curiosity, where is your ranch?
    Arizona but it's not my ranch. It belongs to a friend who got a spectacular new job she could not pass up. I am managing the ranch for her for an indefinite period and having a blast. These first few weeks I am doing everyone's job with them so I understand the nuances of their work and the individual animals they deal with.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Formerly PiccoloNamek Lunar Delta's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    We got some snow, so I decided to go for a walk.

What this shot is missing is a lone person standing or perhaps walking between the tree and pole, just out by themselves. It would greatly add to the sense of isolation.
    Quote Originally Posted by omnirook
    I like it cold - and raining. That keeps the public private - behind closed doors, where they belong!

Type
    INTP
    ^
    Nice! I'm always drawn to shadows like in the 2nd photo for some reason, and I like the softness of that one too. For a minute I thought the first one was the moon shining through the trees instead of a streetlight.

Type
    INTP
    Went out walking again; it's still snowing. I just can't resist the way shadows are cast on this type of snow. It's so powdery and translucent that the light penetrates several millimeters down before it is stopped; that is why the shadows are so soft and diffuse: the actual shadow is inside the snow, not on top of it. Lovely.

This one has no real photographic value, I just thought it looked cool. One high pressure sodium light in between two mercury vapor lights. The steam is a nice touch. I spent several minutes here warming my hands over one of the mercury lamps.

I like it cold - and raining. That keeps the public private - behind closed doors, where they belong!

Type
    INTP

Type
    INXj
    I always find the horizon fascinating. Here's some of mine.

Back when I was in Agra. A little tilted angle.

And this one's taken with my baby

Type
    INTP
    Was walking around and managed to capture this. Such skies are rare here in western Oregon.

Misc images:

I really wish my regular camera wasn't broken. It's so limiting using the one I have now.

Type
    INfj
    Wouldn't be an INTP forum without self-indulgent metacommentary.

So, these photos, and the ones that people have taken in other threads, are amazing and gorgeous and I love to just look at them. Until, that is, I start to imagine the place in which those photos were taken. It's probably not as comfortable as my computer desk. It's probably a little cold or a little warm, it probably smells a bit (but maybe it smells nice, I don't know.) It occurs to me that that photo consists of the most beautiful possible frame for the situation as it was; in other words, everywhere else besides that photo is probably less interesting or pretty. So these artists distill the beauty of the moment or the place into a single 2d image. And I wonder if it's not just human bodies, but everything that has its standards impossibly raised. When I travel, I don't feel excited to see new sights or anything, because the most exciting sights are already captured by photographers and other artists and I can view them from my home. Likewise, most experiences that can be had abroad are also available in my city.

I don't know. Am I thinking about this wrong? Do others feel differently?
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.