Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP

Post AUDIOBOOKS et alii

'What are you listening to' seems to me a poor fit

There are a number of reasons to opt for audiobooks in a given situation:
    >>Mature eyes is one
    >>Edification while doing repetitious task might well be another
    >>Maybe too, there is something like the pacifier-effect at play to have someone read to us
    >>I often like to drift off to such things...I 'spose in hopes of painless osmosis

In my Beavis & Butt-head years, I had made myself a Crystal Radio from junk and had it rigged-up in my tree-fort. The floor of same was supported by four tall pine trees and the slightest breeze caused the structure to creak like a pirate ship of old.

late in the evenings, I would tune-in a local AM station and listen to, what was even then, a nostalgic throw-back called: The CBS Radio Mystery Theater. Good Times.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I like doing The Teaching Company Audio courses. Currently:

Operas of Mozart
    Professor Robert Greenberg Ph.D.

Greenberg's delivery is just as delightful and over-driven as is the subject matter's.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Yeah, TTC is great! I like the Bart Ehrman religion ones, the Timothy Taylor economics courses and ... I dont remember who gave it, but the Russian history course stands out as worthwhile as well.

For fiction, Will Wheaton's audiobook reading of Ready Player One by Ernie Cline was great. I also really enjoyed James Marsters reading the Harry Dresden books.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Just finished "The Sparrow" last night. This was followed by 2 hours of indecisive audio book browsing that ended without a decision. There's a sequel for "The Sparrow", but after reading the description to the 2nd book I decided that reading it would probably just foul up the poignant end of the first one.

I'm in the mood for some deep sci-fi book, but going through the sci-fi catalogue on audible I only found books I've already read, or what look like corny adventure/romance books. I'm open to suggestions.

I actually went down a thought trail last night, after searching for hours, that perhaps I'm too old and have read too many books. I ended up thinking up books I wish someone had written, but finding nothing that matched my thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INTP
    Only recently (past few years) have I discovered the pleasures of audiobooks and agree with the reasons previously stated. Nothing better to clean the house to or do mundane chores! I find it even keeps the most angry of drivers calm. I wonder about the role of "storytelling" in our lives and if perhaps television and movies don't quite apply? I've also been able to get non-readers to "experience" a book this way.

My experience is limited when it comes to judging the quality of audio books. I find myself to be what I consider "oversensitive" to the voices reading it. All the books I've heard I have read first and have been surprised how strongly the reader's voice colors my experience. Especially when it contrasts with my mental reading voice/tone for the book. I also discovered how frequently I make small adjustments as I read to suit my tastes like dismissing an accent, changing the pronunciation of a name, or pretending a hair color is different.

I've found surprisingly positive impacts. I tend to change reading speed and attention in response to the story; when something is enjoyable/juicy I slow down and re-read savoring every moment, but when suspense is high I rush past, skimming, to find out what is happening rather than how. Listening to a audiobook gives equal attention to all parts and forces me to pay attention to details I would normally miss and accept the intended pace.
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INTP
    I 'read' audiobooks to expand my range on what I might normally not read. It's usually multi-tasked with driving so no cost really. Audible makes it affordable (check out their sales and save your credits for stuff you know you want to read)

Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    I'm in the mood for some deep sci-fi book, but going through the sci-fi catalogue on audible I only found books I've already read, or what look like corny adventure/romance books. I'm open to suggestions.
    I liked Vernor Vinge (deep series) Old Man's War and Peter Hamilton's Void series, all relatively modern. Some of these are pretty damn long but I like the universe building of each author.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I like audiobooks for knitting. When I'm knitting something complicated, or have to read charts, I need to have my eyes free to see what I'm doing.

I'm a big fan of Librivox. It's free, and the readers are mostly not professionals, so the quality of the reading can vary, but overall it's mostly decent. What I do like about the readers not being professional is that they're more likely to just read the books straight. I've listened to a few professionally done that sound like they're over-acted and it annoyed me.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I like audiobooks for knitting. When I'm knitting something complicated, or have to read charts, I need to have my eyes free to see what I'm doing.

I'm a big fan of Librivox. It's free, and the readers are mostly not professionals, so the quality of the reading can vary, but overall it's mostly decent. What I do like about the readers not being professional is that they're more likely to just read the books straight. I've listened to a few professionally done that sound like they're over-acted and it annoyed me.
    I glad you mentioned Librivox. Sorta the Project Gutenberg of Audiobooks. A lot of the voice talent is very good and I get the impression they intended the efforts for their resume.

I listened to Ben Franklin's Autobiography and the Journal of a WWI U-Boat Commander from there collection.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    I liked Vernor Vinge (deep series) Old Man's War and Peter Hamilton's Void series, all relatively modern. Some of these are pretty damn long but I like the universe building of each author.
    Thanks. I picked up Peter Hamilton's "The Dreaming Void" last night. Old Man's War looked like an interesting premise for a book. I'm thinking it would be a good one to suggest to my dad at his age. lol

I've discovered a new sleeping pill. Audible books. Seems that I'm like a child, and need to have someone read me bedtime stories to fall asleep. Seems to put my mind into the right state. I can't follow the story unless I shut-off all the little extraneous lines of thoughts that keep me awake at night. It usually takes me a few starts to shut the background noise off in my head enough to follow the story, but once I've done that I become one with the story. After an hour or two, the story slowly fades into a dream until suddenly I wake just enough to realize I've fallen asleep, and that gives me just enough time to pause the book without waking fully. To the sleepers out there, this declaration of newfound sleep aid might seem rather trivial, but for me, it could be a life changer. I've been sleeping well for nearly two weeks now. That's probably a new record.

Of course, it's a trial to find the right spot in the book the next night. There's been a couple of occasions in which I listened all night in my sleep to wake to a finished book. I don't remember anything I listen to while sleeping, but when listening to the same sections awake I do get a sense of deja vu. There was one night in which I remember waking up, the book still playing, and actually being aware of what had been happening in the story and even being interested and continuing to listen, drifting back into sleep. The next day, however, I couldn't recall anything that had been read during my sleep, only that when I had woken in the night I could, as if the book was a dream that quickly faded upon waking to a new day. It amuses me that I'm currently listening to ""The Dreaming Void".

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I've been listening to an audiobook on my mobile. I was reading Kindle books on it, but the dark evenings make staring a screen whilst walking along barely lit pavements a danger - as it is hard to see where you are going with no night vision and without seeing the ground in front of you!

So, I've been listening to Richard Evan's Third Reich Trilogy. Only a third of the way through the first volume.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein