Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Just Threw a Dinner Party

Type
    INTj

I Just Threw a Dinner Party

... and it went well. Like, really well -- among adult friends, who work for companies like Microsoft and a teacher. Steak, quinoa salad, romaine salad with raspberry Gorgonzola dressing, hard cider, wine, and chicken teriyaki lettuce wraps -- it was pretty damn good food, we took turns cooking stuff as we're all foodies.

When was the last event you hosted? Do you enjoy dinner parties? Do you find alcohol to be an effective social lubricant?

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    When was the last event you hosted?
    i honestly don't remember. it had to have been way back, in my childhood.

Do you enjoy dinner parties? Do you find alcohol to be an effective social lubricant?
    1) YES 2) no, not for me
    chatting on discord

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    1) YES 2) no, not for me
    You do? Seems like a pretty affirmative yes, so could you explicate? Alcohol doesn't loosen you up?

The last time I cooked for a group, it was just that--stirring up a good risotto with some sides. I was cooking in someone else's home for everyone. Before I moved, though, we threw a few good dinner parties. The last was a disaster, with a fluctuating head count and nobody helping with cooking nor cleanup, which led me to mostly give up on the endeavor. My favorites were a giant fondue party and the excuse of a great pan to make a great paella. My friends did some great raclette parties, too, with my raclette maker.

Type
    xxxx
    You do? Seems like a pretty affirmative yes, so could you explicate? Alcohol doesn't loosen you up?
    i love food and alcohol just makes me self-conscious (but some is OK)
    chatting on discord

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I like smaller dinner parties and eating out. I also like eating in, its just that we live in such a small space its rarely ever practical.

I remember the spousal unit had a couple of friends back in the can that we would meet up with sometimes on a Friday night after work. Then we'd pop off just the 4, 5, or 6 and go to an indian restraunt and catch a meal, or a thai one, or whatever fancied us at the time. Most of my high school friends, for what one will say of them, think that stopping in at KFC is the height of dining...the few other friends i've made now live in other cities...

Anyway, i enjoy small groups and good food. I don't really do large groups, and I don't do the alcohol thing. But the wife likes a glass on a social occasion or when we're eating out together.

I find that setting eminently pleasurable, and hope you all take that into account, because if i ever meet any of you, its likely going to be walking and then dining :P (possibly on some kind of loop)

Type
    INFP
    I prefer restaurants. It feels less rude if my flight instinct demands that I leave. Plus, when people know you're a cook, eating at their house becomes fraught with value judgments. Sure, booze can alleviate some of these problems but, again, I'd rather just drink at a bar. When people, especially couples, invite me into their nice homes I feel like this:

I'm down for game night, though. Cookouts are also mostly awesome.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    I threw a dinner party once while living in Berlin a few years ago. It all started in a very cultured manner, as one would expect. It all ended in four drunken guests falling asleep on the floor, two people engaging in intimate activities on my balcony, of who the male party later moved to my bed with yet another female conquest (where I found them), and me having to accompany my then-best female friend to the hospital at four in the morning.

Lesson learned: If you're conscious of having a vehement, anacreontic nature which may set more tepid characters alight, don't host dinner parties.

Type
    INTP
    When was the last event you hosted? Do you enjoy dinner parties? Do you find alcohol to be an effective social lubricant?
    1. I've never hosted a dinner party. I like cooking with friends though.
    2. Depends on the company. A dinner party with friends , an obligatory formal dinner party often .
    3. Yes, it removes my self-censorship filter which leads to me saying more than I normally would which sometimes leads to thinking fuck I shouldn't have said that the next day. And it seems to fuck up my brain chemistry so I don't drink much.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnea View Post
    2. Depends on the company. A dinner party with friends , an obligatory formal dinner party often .
    same. cooking together to me is kinda intimate-feeling. i wouldn't wanna do it unless they're close-ish friends
    chatting on discord