Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O High Their

Type
    INTP

O High Their

Hello!

I don't know where to start. CONFESSION! I used to stalk INTPc in high school around 2006 (It seems like many people did this around this time -- ? I'd be mildly interested in anyone's opinion on why that year). I did a little in college off and on too. Usual reasons: took a Myers Briggs test in a mandatory high school "career" class and became interested, especially for answers to those "big" pressing questions / affirmation of my unique special specialness. You know: what should I be when I grow up, what should I major in, should I go to grad school, how do I find a job that won't drive me to some sort of psychosomatic disorder ... ? And also, the special flippant and out from left field remarks and comments that only INTPs can give and appreciate. Probably lots of it went right over my head too. Perhaps that's a shame.

I hadn't really checked INTPc out much in the past 4 years. I checked it out the other day and everyone seems to be over here now since circa December 2013, huh? Nifty. Glad to be aboard and fashionably late. I brought whiskey.

Never been active on a forum before. I probably will continue to just read. Here's some things I'm mulling over now, though:

1. I just transitioned to a new job that I actually like a lot. As part of the hiring process I got to take a real Myers Briggs test. I haven't seen the official result yet, but I know it was INTP. I know the boss is INFJ and I replaced, I think, an ENFX. Anyone have insight on working with INFJs? We really hit it off together. Most of the stuff I drag up from the Internet is all about how INTP and INFJ are perfect romantically .... ugh.

1a. Also thoughts/threads on gender and Myers Briggs? All these romantic pairing write ups assume the INTP is a guy as a matter of course. I'm a lady INTP, which makes some of them hard to read when they get lazy and start flinging around pronouns and I'm trying to read all about myself.

2. I find it hard to type others. I can't type my boyfriend of 7 years. Every time I come up with a new possible type, I read about it and conclude it's not right. My current theory is ISFJ. Oh, and these romantic pairing theories pretty much think this is the worst pairing for an INTP ever except maybe ESFJ. I kind of get it. It's a shame that affirming all the things that don't typically work in a relationship are what's solidifying my hypothesis of his type, though.

3. Freelancing. Good idea? Waste of time? What kinds of people would be good at it? I feel like I wouldn't be able to "sell" myself well enough to make it work. It seems like this would be a problem for INTPs in general. I think technical writing would be a fun gig to get into somehow, but I'm at the very beginning stages of considering it. I don't even know where to start as far as maybe doing some free/fake work to make a portfolio of sorts and even less idea of making it a legitimate business as far as legal bits, taxes, contracts, covering my ass, etc. But dang does it sound like a great INTP job.

Can't wait to bop around here. Or at least I'll try to off and on. Cheers!

Type
    intp
    Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    1a. Also thoughts/threads on gender and Myers Briggs? All these romantic pairing write ups assume the INTP is a guy as a matter of course. I'm a lady INTP, which makes some of them hard to read when they get lazy and start flinging around pronouns and I'm trying to read all about myself.
    An interesting topic! I guess I should ask before projecting my own experiences- have you had much interaction with people who identify as INTP, and what gender were they?

Type
    INTP
    An interesting topic! I guess I should ask before projecting my own experiences- have you had much interaction with people who identify as INTP, and what gender were they?
    Nope, none at all!

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    hey, welcome. we have some pretty cool lady intps here. C:

3. Freelancing. Good idea? Waste of time? What kinds of people would be good at it? I feel like I wouldn't be able to "sell" myself well enough to make it work. It seems like this would be a problem for INTPs in general. I think technical writing would be a fun gig to get into somehow, but I'm at the very beginning stages of considering it. I don't even know where to start as far as maybe doing some free/fake work to make a portfolio of sorts and even less idea of making it a legitimate business as far as legal bits, taxes, contracts, covering my ass, etc. But dang does it sound like a great INTP job.
    idk, i tried this (as an illustrator), but i've been really lazy about it. i'm thinking about getting a rep to do the marketing for me one day, hah. the idea of freelancing appeals to me a lot, but it also means you never escape your work.

Type
    INTP
    Oh, and these romantic pairing theories pretty much think this is the worst pairing for an INTP ever except maybe ESFJ. I kind of get it. It's a shame that affirming all the things that don't typically work in a relationship are what's solidifying my hypothesis of his type, though.
    Reading about ideal romantic pairings can be of interest but is really useless when it comes to predict the long term success of a relationship. A person in general is so much more than just a personality type. Even more so in a romantic/sexual relationship. I have been together with an ESTJ for more than a decade. This is NOT considered a match made in heaven, but for us it has worked out VERY well.
    I was Isagel in another place....

Type
    INTP
    2. I find it hard to type others. I can't type my boyfriend of 7 years. Every time I come up with a new possible type, I read about it and conclude it's not right. My current theory is ISFJ. Oh, and these romantic pairing theories pretty much think this is the worst pairing for an INTP ever except maybe ESFJ. I kind of get it. It's a shame that affirming all the things that don't typically work in a relationship are what's solidifying my hypothesis of his type, though.
    I don't think there are many people who's type description describes them wholly and accurately. Even if you manage to type him properly, there will probably still be parts of the description that won't fit. If you really want to know his type why don't you ask him to do a quick online test? It won't be in depth, but it might be interesting anyway.

And hello and welcome

Type
    INTP
    1. I just transitioned to a new job that I actually like a lot. As part of the hiring process I got to take a real Myers Briggs test. I haven't seen the official result yet, but I know it was INTP. I know the boss is INFJ and I replaced, I think, an ENFX. Anyone have insight on working with INFJs? We really hit it off together. Most of the stuff I drag up from the Internet is all about how INTP and INFJ are perfect romantically .... ugh.

Agreed. I'm not convinced that INTP female and INFJ male is even remotely a good combination. Though with the genders reversed I can see how it might be a satisfying relationship. Though even at that... It always seemed to me that the reason why an INTP male, INFJ female relationship works is because an INFJ female is more likely to suppress her own needs cater to the needs of a harder to please INTP male. That seems to be the dynamic in some of the INTP INFJ relationships I've seen or heard about, which makes me feel icky to think about.

I think INTP females are such a minority that people just haven't dedicated much time or energy toward looking at how they are unique. I think there are some significant differences between INTP males and females that aren't well explored in the literature.

I agree with lots of others here that while type has an impact on relationships, individual personalities and communication styles have a much larger impact. Type-based theories can not predict the success of relationships.

And while we're on the topic, I think it would be interesting to consider same-sex relationships through MBTI. I don't think that's been explored all that much either.

Depends. How good are you at motivating yourself, keeping to deadlines? And how good are you at self-promotion? How do you feel about doing your own admin?

You may be interested in contributing to this thread.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Agreed. I'm not convinced that INTP female and INFJ male is even remotely a good combination. Though with the genders reversed I can see how it might be a satisfying relationship. Though even at that... It always seemed to me that the reason why an INTP male, INFJ female relationship works is because an INFJ female is more likely to suppress her own needs cater to the needs of a harder to please INTP male. That seems to be the dynamic in some of the INTP INFJ relationships I've seen or heard about, which makes me feel icky to think about.
    I'm in a relationship with an INFJ girl and actually the opposite occurs. I'm usually the one suppressing my desires. Just as another datum for you :P

Type
    INTP
    I hadn't really checked INTPc out much in the past 4 years. I checked it out the other day and everyone seems to be over here now since circa December 2013, huh? Nifty. Glad to be aboard and fashionably late. I brought whiskey.
    Yeah? What kind?

Can't wait to bop around here. Or at least I'll try to off and on. Cheers!
    Nice. Welcome aboard and, !

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    i was of the impression that intp men don't like doing the necessary emotional work of being in a relationship so they like being with someone (infj woman) who, by her very nature, will do most or all of it. that still makes me feel icky but for a different reason. when it comes to individual cases, though, i can't really judge, esp if the two people seem satisfied and happy with the arrangement.

I think INTP females are such a minority that people just haven't dedicated much time or energy toward looking at how they are unique. I think there are some significant differences between INTP males and females that aren't well explored in the literature.

I agree with lots of others here that while type has an impact on relationships, individual personalities and communication styles have a much larger impact. Type-based theories can not predict the success of relationships.

And while we're on the topic, I think it would be interesting to consider same-sex relationships through MBTI. I don't think that's been explored all that much either.
    all of this, yeah.

when it comes to "successful"/healthy(?)/lasting relationships, i think simple kindness--the ability to be kind, to care about another person's needs and not be an asshole--is kinda forgotten even though it makes a huge impact. this isn't exactly the same as communication styles, which is why i bring it up. it's a skill and takes maturity, too.

Depends. How good are you at motivating yourself, keeping to deadlines? And how good are you at self-promotion? How do you feel about doing your own admin?

You may be interested in contributing to this thread.
    lol i suggest that OP contribute to that thread, too.