Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do INTPs test people?

Always late to the show Sol4rplexus's Avatar
    Type
    ENTP

Do INTPs test people?

Hi!

The type INTP seems quite fascinating to me in many ways, and their honest, yet unpredictable ways never cease to excite me. A question that has been on my mind for a while is if INTPs tend to test others by behaving in a certain, often unsettling way, just to see how the other person would react to it.
    INTPs, have you ever caught yourself doing this in a conversation with a friend or even your partner? If yes, can you name example situations when it happened?

Liebe Gre,
    Solar

Type
    INTP
    Yeah, I ask questions and pose statements that test for N/S when I've undertaken to get to know someone new or better. In the process some of T/F comes out. P/J is either obvious up front or takes a great deal of time to clarify, strangely. I/E is usually pretty obvious based on the nonverbal behavior which supervenes upon the conversation overall.

Why do I "test" people? So I can try to adapt my own behavior to best deal with the situation.

Type
    ENTP
    I didn't exactly mean to ask if they MBTI-test others, but rather if they try to figure them out in other ways, for example to tell the person a lie to see if they believe you or how it will affect their trust towards you.

Type
    eNTP
    If I test people, it's by Shibboleth, and it's more a trial balloon to see if a topic of interest is shared.

However, I can say that sometimes I test out ideas by pretending to espouse them, just to hear a counterargument that isn't my own voice. No specific instances come to mind simply because they were transient tests. Sometimes the ideas stand up, other times they fall down and go boom. I move on with the result, the details of the experiment are forgotten as clutter. Much the same as I don't remember the measurements I made in physics or chemistry labs, or most of the homework sets I completed or tests problems I solved. The results are learned and integrated, the history forgotten.

Somehow that feels like an unintended metaphor.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol4rplexus View Post
    I didn't exactly mean to ask if they MBTI-test others, but rather if they try to figure them out in other ways, for example to tell the person a lie to see if they believe you or how it will affect their trust towards you.
    I don't test people in that manner, I observe them. The reason is, such tests are destructive tests. If you lie to someone to 'test' them, you are yourself being a person they shouldn't trust.

It might seem like a longer process to finding out how a person behaves, or how trustworthy or gullible they are, but if you practice observation, you'll find life tests them for you all by itself.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I don't test people in that manner, I observe them. The reason is, such tests are destructive tests. If you lie to someone to 'test' them, you are yourself being a person they shouldn't trust.

It might seem like a longer process to finding out how a person behaves, or how trustworthy or gullible they are, but if you practice observation, you'll find life tests them for you all by itself.
    I am aware that they are destructive, but you know, if you've been with a friend for a long time and are sure that they really like you, there is something like a risk-free zone between you two, which allows room for certain words and things you can't just say to anyone without risking losing their respect. A leeway that can be used for tests like that.

I agree, especially if a person talks a lot there is a high chance they will tell you about similar situations and what they think about them, though I think you will only find out if they are really honest about it by testing them.

Type
    INTP
    No, I don't test like that. Actually the idea repulses me and I've been unhappy with myself any time I've gotten close.

I ask many questions, and do what heph described.
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol4rplexus View Post
    Hi!

The type INTP seems quite fascinating to me in many ways, and their honest, yet unpredictable ways never cease to excite me. A question that has been on my mind for a while is if INTPs tend to test others by behaving in a certain, often unsettling way, just to see how the other person would react to it.
    INTPs, have you ever caught yourself doing this in a conversation with a friend or even your partner? If yes, can you name example situations when it happened?

Liebe Gre,
    Solar
    This doesn't sound like INTP behavior at all. If an INTP says something unsettling, I doubt very much that it's for the attention. It's probably more likely they simply have unconventional ideas.

"Testing" seems like the domain of women though, culturally. Like they're socialized to be less direct, so instead of confronting something they start pushing buttons. I can't fucking stand it when I perceive a guy testing me. As if I don't know what's going on. As if I haven't been raised to understand it as if it were my own language. I feel such a role reversal that it brings out sadistic tendencies in me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    ENTP
    Interesting... Thanks for the replies.

Type
    INxP
    INTPs are extremely uncomfortable with manipulation of pretty much any kind. For instance, despite working for a major retailer, I would be the first to say "This product is crap, do not buy it" or "There is a much better deal on this item over here" than to try and pressure someone into buying something based on imperfect information. If I tell them it's crap and they still buy it, fine, that's their prerogative, but I don't fuck with people's thoughts or emotions as I would resent the same being done to me.

In fact, such "testing" as you call it would be tantamount to emotional terrorism in the eyes of many INTPs. The idea of behaving purposefully irrational "just to see how someone will react" is akin to lighting something on fire "just to see if it will burn."