Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Right...the eyebrows

Type
    INFP

Right...the eyebrows

What do you think about eyebrows?

I've become increasingly fond of them over the course of my life. I think my face looks much better since I started trimming them. Eyebrows frame the face and people with good eyebrows tend to be the most beautiful people. What do you think of your eyebrows in particular? Do you neglect or care for them?

If you disagree with my statement that eyebrows are the most crucial and potentially beautiful facial feature, what feature do you love the most (in essence/general terms)?

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    If you view a person's face upside down, they look like a moustache.

Edit: In boarding school a fellow girl once complimented me on my eyebrows with some enthusiasm. I only remember this because that probably was the second-strangest compliment I've ever received.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    If you view a person's face upside down, they look like a moustache.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i love eyebrows and think they're often overlooked when it comes to beauty, but i'm biased cuz i have natural good eyebrows. i've only tweezed them yet i get compliments on them regularly. i'm gonna learn how to use makeup and make them more beautiful. idk what that's gonna do to my face but i'm curious and eyebrows are the best.

so yeah i agree with you, Dot. i do love other facial features, however.

i like my face.
    chatting on discord

Type
    eNTP
    Eyebrows are awesome if you have them. I think they're my best facial feature. I was fortunate enough to be born with very expressive eyebrows--they sell stories and jokes better than any twist of rhetoric, they act as an effective "do not disturb" sign, and they give people something to look at when eye contact starts feeling awkward.

I shaved them off once, just to see. It was a terrible mistake. I looked very simple. After they grew back, a friend of my told me she was enormously pleased they grew back completely.

Eyelashes are close second. Together, they create the strongest lines of facial expression. They're the emoticons of the face.*

*Yes. I know.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    ^ as a child i got comments all the time for my expressive eyebrows. if anybody surprised me they'd do The Rock thing, the right one would raise itself and i'd be like "wut are you looking at?" then for years i hid them under bangs.
    chatting on discord

Type
    INFP
    I have double-jointed eyebrows. I can raise them in different places so that it looks like they're dancing worms.

--------------

Type
    INFP
    Another thing I have to wrangle in as I age. I think it's pretty terrible to get rid of them and paint something resembling an eyebrow in their place. I keep one raised so much I'm surprised my face isn't paralyzed in incredulity. Love how they keep sweat out of my eyes. My avatar has great eyebrows, while we're on the subject. Obligatory:

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    @Dot @tele @Hephaestus. Why does everyone have mobile eyebrows. It's unfair. I'm envious of people who can move their eyebrows independently of each other. My facial muscles are useless. I can lift both of my eyebrows together. Yay.

I'm lazy so my eyebrows usually get to fend for themselves but a few times a year I get the urge to play girl and spend half a day in the bathroom pampering myself. It's interesting that the idea of pampering myself can include yanking hair out by the roots. Also sometimes I come across an interesting technique and need to experiment. Last time it was threading, which I liked. I would like to add a warning that it's possible to slice your fingers with a thread while doing this so tweezers may be a safer option.

I look neater and more polished with plucked eyebrows so I usually promise myself that this time I'll maintain them consistently so I don't need to start from the beginning every time but that hasn't happened so far. I've been thinking that some sort of template system with homemade body sugar might work. Or not. I've not tested that one yet.

I don't dye my brows, because I have other things to use my money on and I would prefer to avoid some chemicals that are used in dyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I shaved them off once, just to see. It was a terrible mistake. I looked very simple. After they grew back, a friend of my told me she was enormously pleased they grew back completely.
    There's a Finnish model who made her career by shaving of her eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    If you disagree with my statement that eyebrows are the most crucial and potentially beautiful facial feature, what feature do you love the most (in essence/general terms)?
    I actually dislike naming something a best facial feature. But I also have an aversion to name anything the best this or that. I like looking at people and I can usually find some beautiful feature in everyone. But I can get stuck staring at something I think is fascinating so I also try to avoid staring at people since I would probably make them uncomfortable or make them think I was coming on to them. Also answering "your earlobes have a very beautiful curve" would probably be a bit creepy when asked what am I staring at. I like eyes, but it's easier to just look at people's eyes if they are talking to someone other than you. That might also be a bit creepy. "Please keep talking to each other, preferably standing towards the light so that I can stand here all quiet and observe your eye colours."

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnea View Post
    @Dot @tele @Hephaestus. Why does everyone have mobile eyebrows. It's unfair. I'm envious of people who can move their eyebrows independently of each other. My facial muscles are useless. I can lift both of my eyebrows together. Yay.
    I can only raise my left eyebrow independently. Trying with the right gets about halfway--but it's cool because those are just different expressions:

Lifted left brow + neutral right = quizzical/interested
    Lifted left brow + lowered right = mischievious/hammy mad scientist
    Neutral left + attempted lift of right = pained/Are you fucking serious?

Various shadings from context, nuances from eyelid positioning and nostril flaring, and the lips are just decorative finish.

There's a Finnish model who made her career by shaving of her eyebrows.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Haha. See what I did? Finish->Finnish. That was for me.

The model is not attractive to me, but I can see how shaving her eyebrows set her apart. She has a soft brow line, so removing the interuption of the eyebrows between her eyes and her forehead gives her a more neotenous appearance.

The blue eyeshadow in that particular photo is just atrocious though. It might be a cultural thing but I associate blue eyeshadow with trailer parks, greasy spoon diners with chainsmoking waitresses who no longer give a shit about anything (or possible never shit anymore, hence their crass demeanor), and older middle aged church ladies coping with aging by smearing on cheap makeup with a trowel. I can almost smell it just thinking about it.

Also answering "your earlobes have a very beautiful curve" would probably be a bit creepy when asked what am I staring at.
    Pffft. Try "You have a pretty mouth". It doesn't matter if it's true or not. The result is always on the "Hi! I'm a rapist!" side of creepy. By comparison, talking about earlobes is on the shy and awkward side of creepy.

I'm now thinking someone should work up a two axis chart for creep taxonomy with little zones for orientation.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.