Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Left and Right: A Psychological Conjecture Game

Retired
    Type
    XXXX

Left and Right: A Psychological Conjecture Game

Pretend you are explaining the concept of left and right to someone who has never heard of such a thing, and I shall interpret your efforts in a psychoanalytical manner.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    This is the only right way to do it.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    I guess I would start by pointing out the lateral symmetry of our bodies and how each limb, sense organ, and whatnot should have a 'separate identity'.

And then talk about the system we use to do that.

Personal Anecdote: This is something that never came up until I got to first grade, and we use to have those neat wooden desk where the right side of the desk surface wrapped around forming an arm rest. Well, this was just the neatest thing to me. Anyways, it still flashes back in memory (that first day of school and learning this while becoming use to the ergonomics of that desk) whenever I need to re-affirm right-handedness.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I was going to talk about openness to change... but then I realized that was probably not what this was about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    xNxx
    A conceptual duality used to describe various symmetrical things, notably hands, quarks, and politics.

Type
    INxP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I guess it depends on who I'm trying to explain it to and what common framework we have to work with.

But my first thought would be to ask them to assume that I'm an ophthalmologist that has examined their eyes, and I'd point to their left eye and ask them to assume they have perfect vision in that eye, and then I'd point to their right eye and ask them to assume that their vision in that eye is poor. Then I'd ask them how I would could write a prescription that I could mail to the opticians so that the optician would know which glass to make clear and which to make corrective ... how could I distinguish one eye from the other purely in verbal/written language using some convention ... or maybe put another way, what relationship holds between the eye and the glass that goes in front of it.

Depending on their answer I might try use the analogy to get deeper into the notion of perspective or into the role of convention/"relativism" in language after that ... or maybe something else as needed.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    This is the only right way to do it.
    You are a remarkably well-read person, to the point where you're resourceful enough to find a quote on literally anything (and be it the greatest tomfoolery). In the past you may have been accused of quoting too much instead of phrasing your own opinion, but if so, this has likely left you unfettered since the only ones to make such slanderous allegations were the kind of individuals who "don't read philosophers because [they] want to think for [themselves]". Your passion for factual knowledge singles you out as an academic, or quiz show contestant.

Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    I guess I would start by pointing out the lateral symmetry of our bodies and how each limb, sense organ, and whatnot should have a 'separate identity'.

And then talk about the system we use to do that.
    Quite contrary to the popular stereotype of a rational, you are warm-hearted and rather empathetic, often nolens volens. Compared to other INTPs, you find it easy to figure out what people are thinking. - You also like the idea of the "ghost in the machine" and are likely to assign personalities to pets and other animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I was going to talk about openness to change... but then I realized that was probably not what this was about.
    You are dreaming of a revolution of a personal, professional or political kind - but you are not sure how this could be implemented, nor whether it would yield the desired results.

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    A conceptual duality used to describe various symmetrical things, notably hands, quarks, and politics.
    You like word games and the technical aspects of music, of which you seem to have an intuitive grasp. You consider yourself a jack of all trades and often draw inspiration from one field of your expertise to be used on another. Despite your creativity, mundane details (such as open cabinet doors or drawers) may irk you a great deal, and develop into pet peeves over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Utisz View Post
    I guess it depends on who I'm trying to explain it to and what common framework we have to work with.

But my first thought would be to ask them to assume that I'm an ophthalmologist that has examined their eyes, and I'd point to their left eye and ask them to assume they have perfect vision in that eye, and then I'd point to their right eye and ask them to assume that their vision in that eye is poor. Then I'd ask them how I would could write a prescription that I could mail to the opticians so that the optician would know which glass to make clear and which to make corrective ... how could I distinguish one eye from the other purely in verbal/written language using some convention ... or maybe put another way, what relationship holds between the eye and the glass that goes in front of it.

Depending on their answer I might try use the analogy to get deeper into the notion of perspective or into the role of convention/"relativism" in language after that ... or maybe something else as needed.
    You are a logical individual whose interest in language as a system is strong. You are likely to do very well learning foreign dialects, even though you might have fended off any trace of dialect in your mother tongue. The main purpose of language study, in your eyes, is communication (as opposed to only learning a language to read books in). During a holiday in a foreign country, you'd be the type least likely to gravitate towards your fellow countrymen, and instead seek active contact with the locals.

-------

Note: These analyses were conducted by a highly unqualified expert of ontology and do not substitute a consultation with your local doctor.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    Pretend you are explaining the concept of left and right to someone who has never heard of such a thing, and I shall interpret your efforts in a psychoanalytical manner.
    - hey man do you know what left and right are?
    - no what is all that?
    - well once upon a time there was a farmer who had a son. His son was helping him to pick up the oranges from the trees and put them in cases to sell them in the market. Those cases were heavy so each case had to be carried by both of them.
    The cases had two handles one in each side of the case.... You know this is a bad example let me try another one.
    - but i liked that story
    - anyway 150 years ago there was this hunter.He was hunting antilopes with his son.
    - wait a mintute. Why threre are no women in your stories
    - shut up and listen
    - It was early in the morning and sun was coming out. The antilope was moving towards the sun and the hunter said "son shoot that dear in the eye"The son looked at his father in the eyes and asked "which one?"
    - "Right" the hunter said in angry voice," now you think is the right time to ask me this question while the antilope runs in unknown directions and you moron left the perfect shot cause you did not know which eye to pick."
    - Is this going anywhere?
    - I dont think so
    - Well thanks for nothing.

Type
    INTP
    a friend of mine says " i will show him/her: this is left and this right"

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    - hey man do you know what left and right are?
    - no what is all that?
    - well once upon a time there was a farmer who had a son. His son was helping him to pick up the oranges from the trees and put them in cases to sell them in the market. Those cases were heavy so each case had to be carried by both of them.
    The cases had two handles one in each side of the case.... You know this is a bad example let me try another one.
    - but i liked that story
    - anyway 150 years ago there was this hunter.He was hunting antilopes with his son.
    - wait a mintute. Why threre are no women in your stories
    - shut up and listen
    - It was early in the morning and sun was coming out. The antilope was moving towards the sun and the hunter said "son shoot that dear in the eye"The son looked at his father in the eyes and asked "which one?"
    - "Right" the hunter said in angry voice," now you think is the right time to ask me this question while the antilope runs in unknown directions and you moron left the perfect shot cause you did not know which eye to pick."
    - Is this going anywhere?
    - I dont think so
    - Well thanks for nothing.
    Even though you have ideas aplenty, you sometimes struggle to make them understood to your environment. As a child, you might have wondered whether this was due to possessing an extraordinary mind, or due to other people simply being troglodytes, or both. As an adult you're gaining a clearer perspective on this existential question by the day; however, during times of stress, you may occasionally doubt your own abilities (even though you might never admit to it to anyone else but yourself).

Secretly equipped with a subtle sense for the theatrical, you strongly despise individuals who unabashedly exhibit a need for social drama. Your fine sense of humour often eludes your contemporaries, which doesn't bother you much since you crack jokes more to your own amusement than to anybody else's. You are firmly opposed to political correctness, staunch conventional morality (although there are some traditions you value greatly) and other kinds of phoniness, and often find considerable consolation and relief in satire.