Thread: Cringeworthy things said about your type

Always late to the show Sol4rplexus's Avatar
    Type
    ENTP

Cringeworthy things said about your type

What are the most cringeworthy, untrue things you heard people say about your type that don't apply to you at all?

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    That I'm dorky, unorganized, lazy and socially inept. All those things are obviously untrue.

Type
    INxP
    ^LOL

Type
    INTP
    I always equate lazy with blowing off something that needs to be done in order to goof off and have fun. There are times I want to work on something and just don't have the energy. Returning some phone calls and organizing papers/filing/etc come to mind.

I think the shy label gets tossed around too much but doesn't apply to me. I'm not sure if it's SJs who always make this mistake or not. I get really annoyed when people make this assumption. Which is not to say I always know the perfect thing to say to initiate a conversation or can effortlessly work the room, it's just not fear or pensiveness that's preventing me from talking to people. I know it's often best to bite my tongue and walk away in unpleasant convos but 12-15 years after the fact, I still get heated up when I think of this exchange I had at an award banquet reception. The narcissist female writer who I had made brief eye contact with a couple of times but not approached her was so convinced that I was too shy to talk to people. I tried to give her a short answer of I had talked to people there and that I sometimes don't feel like talking. She kept trying to insist that I need to be brave. She got really pedantic. I wanted to punch her in the chest. Then it was basically I was too shy to approach women, [read: her]. I wanted to say she was half right. "I didn't want to talk to you because in the brief moments we've been in a shared space, though w/out interaction, my subconscious has concluded that you're are not someone I'd want to waste my time in meeting, much less engage in conversation. Thus far, every word that has proceeded from you lips and confirmed my suspicion. Remove yourself from me, you plastic, needy, generic talent, hack."

I don't know what that would've done for me. I'm sure she would've credited me being ashamed of being shy and thus validating her point, so maybe nothing gained in the long run.

This is something that's come up over the years. It's generally SJs who are surprised to see me engaged with people so freely when they previously seen me quiet. They may ask if I was sick when I first met or does it take awhile to come out of my shell. I just generally say that I didn't notice a difference, as that's the shortest way out of that conversation. Though really the short answer is "No, it's just you."

Type
    INTP
    Step aside, this has to be the pinnacle

INTP Decorating for the Thinker/Architect

Good News for the Thinker

1. You have the ability to be creative and out-of-the-box with your home. Make sure to harness that creativity in your decor choices. You enjoy thinking long and hard about things, so donít neglect you decor. Chances are if you put your head into it, you can come up with original and novel ideas!

Type
    INTP
    Heh, I have noticed that some INTPs' living space looks like a disaster. In others, it is extremely clean but bare of nonessentials. I wonder why there is such a broad range of cleanliness.

Type
    INTP
    That I am emotionally unavailable or insensitive. That I do not demonstrate my emotions or act on them in the same way (and/or at the same times) that others do does not mean they are unavailable or not felt. I prioritize my emotions differently, that's all.

Type
    INFP
    Because I roll with intuition and emotion I cannot understand logic and abide objectivity.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
    Heh, I have noticed that some INTPs' living space looks like a disaster. In others, it is extremely clean but bare of nonessentials. I wonder why there is such a broad range of cleanliness.
    I've played both sides of that street. Canonically I believe most INTP's have messy spaces. I've grown to hate them over time as they interfere with my thinking, so now prefer clean. Oddly though my workspace tends to be cluttered, I get uncomfortable if it's too clean, or too messy. At any rate personality plays a role too, not just type, as it does with all things.