Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: board games

Type
    INTP

board games

I happen to live by a sizable board-game store and thinking of investing in a few games to host with in the future. The ideal would have been to find a cafe reminiscent of that in my hometown which allows you to pay one fee for the day to play any of the 300+ games you'd like in-store. That doesn't seem to exist here, unfortunately, so I'm taking the initiative to get something going - my colleagues are lazy fucks but they'll come out if I plan for this.

I quite enjoy Munchkin. In general, games of moderate-depth that won't eat up countless hours in preparation or in a single round (that's not just for my benefit.. I don't know anyone who'd geek-out that much here). Resistance was also fun, might have been more appealing if it wasn't entirely about bluffing but it's short and sweet.

So, recommendations? I hear Eldritch Horror is like Arkham Horror without the bullshit.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I really enjoyed Dominion when I lived with a housemate who had it. Also Carcasonne.

Type
    INTP
    Eldritch horror is a bit better than Arkham horror, but is a nightmare to set up and explain.

I'm still in love with Agricola, which can also be difficult to teach others. I recommend having them watch a video, this is my favorite.

Dominion is a good option.

Pandemic is a quicker, easier cooperative game than the horrors. Cooperative games are a nice change of pace.

Gloom is pretty funny, rather enjoyable. Watch it played

I also personally enjoy Ticket to Ride with the 1910 expansion, but it is easy to play on steam.
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    intp
    Lords of Waterdeep (D&D universe)

Catan obviously

Coup is an even simpler game in the spirit (and universe) of the resistance games

Dixit (pictures) / Say Anything (words) / Cards Against Humanity (dirty words)

Hive

Type
    INTP
    Apples to Apples is a predecessor to Cards Against Humanity. They are played pretty much the same way, but Apples to Apples is... tame.

Cribbage is one of my favorite board games--though in truth, it doesn't require a board. If you can keep track of score in Scrabble, you can keep track of a Cribbage game--first one to 121 or more wins!

Scrabble, of course--and maybe a few Scrabble variants--like Upwords or Scrabble Cubes--not those bullshit "special editions".

Parcheesi is ok.

Boggle is ok.

But other than Cards Against Humanity, or Apples to Apples, stay away from any game involving rotating subjective judgement. CAH & A2A usually result in laughter, but games like Thinkblot are just Risk in disguise: there will be tears, and possibly blood. You'd be safer volunteering to mediate an argument between a married couple in a mall.

I recommend losing some time here.

I really want to play this:

--Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I actually enjoy Apples to Apples. Cards Against Humanity is the same thing, only with a gimmick I find juvenile and uninteresting.

As far as board games qua board games, I tend to stick with the classics--Risk, Scrabble, etc.

"Chinese Checkers"--the Checkers variant with something like eight players on the board--can be good fun with a group, affording some of the enjoyment of Risk (tactical alliances and so forth) without the complex play mechanics or timesuck factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    I'm going to recommend you do not actually buy cards against humanity.

It's the same as apples to apples, but with apples it actually matter which cards you lay down and how they match up. With humanity the funniest, most shocking card wins.

All they are are jokes on cards. Funny, amusing... sure. But it's barely a game.

After you have heard the same jokes/seen the same cards so many times it stops being funny. The novelty wears off. Better to play here and there at a party than own your own box of jokes.

Type
    INTP
    Yeah I don't understand why people keep insisting on CAH, it might be the dullest popular game out there.

Thanks for the recommendations. I had a good feeling about Gloom, might also get Dominion, Pandemic and Lords of Waterdeep.

Catan is ok but 3/4 board game nights in the past have just been Catan nights. Might as well omitt it.

Type
    INtP
    Another vote for Dominion. Carcasonne is enjoyable too.

Puerto Rico and Eurorails are also fun, but they both have a slightly higher learning curve (more rules, math, or complicated strategy) and a lot of small pieces to mess with during the game. I don't think it's bad enough to be a deterrence, but it's something to think about.

Ticket to Ride is also a good time. Some might say it's a bit lesser depth, but still has great replay value. Also on game night when people are too drunk to be able to learn more complicated games, they are always able to learn how to play this right away and jump in easily.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    Another vote for Dominion. Carcasonne is enjoyable too.

Puerto Rico and Eurorails are also fun, but they both have a slightly higher learning curve (more rules, math, or complicated strategy) and a lot of small pieces to mess with during the game. I don't think it's bad enough to be a deterrence, but it's something to think about.

Ticket to Ride is also a good time. Some might say it's a bit lesser depth, but still has great replay value. Also on game night when people are too drunk to be able to learn more complicated games, they are always able to learn how to play this right away and jump in easily.
    Have you played Agricola? I have Puerto Rico and we barely learned, can't get anyone to play. How does it compare to Agricola?