Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Substance Induced Altered State.

Type
    INTP
    Especially Christ Mass.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    INTP
    Lucid dreaming, and its evil twin, sleep paralysis, with the lovely accompanying hallucinations.
    Sleep deprivation leading to a shared perceived reality juxtaposed with an internally perceived reality (similar to the movie Big Fish).
    Intense focus or "flow" while troubleshooting/problem-solving/creating solution.
    Neurological connection with music (separate from just listening to music).
    When I played piano as a teenager, I was also able to enter that state of flow.
    Walking/driving on autopilot while the mind is otherwise occupied.
    Intense daydreaming that can lead into lucid dreaming if done when and where I can fall asleep.

All of these and others are less likely to occur when I have a stable work routine (and have to use a sleep aid to sleep), and more likely to occur if I have time off work and can revert back to night owl hours.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I get stress hallucinations. Being anxious will make me see things moving at the edge of my vision when nothing is there, hear what sounds like speech in random background noise, things like that. I also get premonition-type things when I can "feel" something behind me, around me, watching me, whatever. It's worse when I'm sleep-deprived.

This is a symptom of a genetic disorder I have, I'm told.

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    I get stress hallucinations. Being anxious will make me see things moving at the edge of my vision when nothing is there, hear what sounds like speech in random background noise, things like that. I also get premonition-type things when I can "feel" something behind me, around me, watching me, whatever. It's worse when I'm sleep-deprived.

This is a symptom of a genetic disorder I have, I'm told.
    That's interesting. I've rocked sleep deprivation as a lifestyle before and the symptoms (or manifestations) you describe are one and the same. Never had it brought on by anxiety, but I don't struggle with that to an extreme degree. The weirdest is when you're sitting there at night staring at a computer screen, then look around and realize you've invented your entire peripheral vision and are in fact no place like home.

Some of my favorite nights have been spent walking at night flat out tripping on no sleep, feeling like every car's grill was trying to speak to me.
    every sunday morning

Type
    xxxx
    sleep deprivation, flow during creative activities, sexual arousal (and sex sometimes), anger (mind moves rapidly), being in love (addiction/withdrawal), meditation

Type
    INTP
    Yes, meditation, too.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    IXTP
    I've heard that Binaural beats can put you in a meditative kind of trance and certain ones can even give you out of body experiences, but it's never really worked for me, it mostly just makes me get drowsy. For the best results you need really high quality studio headphones, regular headphones just don't have a flat enough frequency response.

full of shit Dr. Fungi the Fifth's Avatar
    Type
    intp
    Changes in perception:

Sometimes I feel like I'm stoned when I'm driving, and everything just slows the fuck down.

Also, staring at certain patterns cause a rippling effect, such as the visitor's bathroom at my workplace. It has a weird marble-like pattern on the tile, and everytime I take a dump I feel like I'm tripping out.

Though when I think about it, I get the feeling that past experiences with hallucinogens have given me superpowers to alter my own perception with little effort, and even involuntarily.

drugs r bad

Type
    INTP
    Drawing table + blank paper/blank canvas + quiet and time

Type
    INTP
    Video games - esp. ones that require fast thinking/reflexes, like Tetris.

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Mass.
    While Episcopalian services aren't Mass, they are still rituals. For me, it is like meditation.