Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanki Online

Type
    INTP

Tanki Online

This thread is a continuation from the posts in the rants thread between me and @OrionzRevenge about Tanki Online

You can play it here

My username is Slothe (if you say I recommended you I'll get crystals (the game currency))

Anywho, it's an awesome free mmo browser based game where you shoot each other in tanks.

So in the last post I wasn't sure if I wanted to give ricochet a try, but I went ahead and got it. Holy cow, that gun is amazing. It's *my* gun now. It's way more powerful than twins and you can also actually aim with it. Bouncing the plasma off the walls is also really awesome and easy if you're a geometry nerd (and I am). It also seems really cheap to upgrade too.

If you join, post your username and let's play!

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Ricochet seems (don't own it) extremely effective at closer ranges. It's 'spay' weakens with distance, but too close in and you can cause yourself splash damage.

Along with the Freezers, Flamers, and blood suckers they are the guys you see camped out by the flag in a CTF.

I played with the Twins, Rail-gun, and the Shaft Sniper Gun but I just seem to have more fun with the turret everyone replaces when options open.

I don't ever expect I'll be a top dog using Wasp/Smokey but it seems a good fit for maximum fun for my taste.
    I loose punch at distance but I can still reach across the map and sting a sniper into relocating.

Mostly I like to slam into their side at full speed and start blasting while their tracks are in a pinch and can't move.
    I'm also upgrading 'weight' (which is a funny concept for light-weight and fast chassis) so I can bulldoze them sideways...or even push them back.

I 'don't think 'weight' actually decrease speed ???? I hope not.

One gripe I have is that I can't find a website that gives detailed information about the concrete numbers and the Nuts & Bolts.
    Nor can I find full overhead maps of the various locations. You would think the geeks would be on that with a quickness.

My ScreenName is the same as here. I'm not even sure if you can Friend someone without locating them in game or chat first????

Anyways. Here is what I most often look like:

Sometimes I use white paint in snow conditions.

I mostly play Servers En1 or En2 for the crowd and, for now, I mostly like CTF & TDM on Berda and Rino...I love the long straights to run along.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    Ricochet's weakening with distance is nothing compared to Twins. I have the most fun with it, and to me it seems to give the most versatile experience. I can "snipe" at medium to semi long distances (useful for taking out shafts and rail guns since they can't turn quickly). I can also rush in and spray, similar with Twins. I can also hit people in areas that no other weapon can reach via the bounce affect. The last part makes it a blast (pun intended).

When I bounce off walls usually takes people a few seconds to realize which direction I'm actually in, and by that time I've already got the jump on them with 3 or 4 hits (enough to take out a hornet or wasp if they have any prior damage, and it doesn't take that many more hits to take down a hunter either).

Don't count out your combo. From what I've read there's people at very high ranks that play wasp, and I've also been reading that smokey is super popular and respected at the higher ranks (apparently when you hit M1 and M2 you reload faster than thunder, and you'll hit harder too). Although I'm not sure if people pair those two together. I also haven't read anything so far that says weight will slow you down. I think your tank's speed is your tank's speed, as far as I know.

I feel like the hornet/ricochet combo could work for me at higher ranks, though supposedly ricochet on a wasp or hornet isn't recommended because of the recoil on all the rapid fire. I could see this being a bit of problem with a wasp, but I think the hornet just barely weighs enough to keep it under control (I also avoid spraying anyway). I tried rolling around with the hunter, it maneuvers nicely and I don't flip as much... but it's just a bit too slow for me. I flip all over the place with the wasp, a little too hard for me to control with the way I like to play. I like to fly around and shoot from various distances, and I get the best score with the hornet. I love that the ricochet doesn't lock me into a distance as much as the other turrets, and I can also hit people when they think they're at their safest.

I look like this a lot:

I sometimes use white paint in snow too.

I'm saving up with the dirty paint when I'm able to unlock it. Upgrading my weapon to M1 is priority though. I've read you should buy a paint based on how you play, if you notice certain turrets give you more trouble than others then get a paint that protects you from those. Right now I seem to be having trouble with shafts (or at least it seems like there's an abundance of them around these ranks, I suspect a lot of them are alt accounts and people are trying them out to see if they like them for their mains), I get arrogant about my ability to out run them while I'm turning to shoot at them, and they nab me. I wonder how the weapon trends will change as people are able to unlock M1.

Also it looks like you're right about the adding a friend thing, we'll have to decide on a battle to meet up in.

I've been doing a lot of TDM today, it's better exp than regular DM.

Type
    INtP
    Yeah, Ricochets are tough customers. In 1 on 1 open field charge I rarely beat'em.
    I need to get a lot better at turning in a dog fight circle and rotating my turret to bare.

I wanna freak'em out with a Parthian Shot too.

There is just so much without proper online support. That I can find anyways.

On the forum, the Admins say multiple accounts are ok, but initially I opted to have my password stored and I never have an option to log out in order to setup the new account.

I've been thinking about starting over so that I can recoup all the crystals spent exploring other Turrets & Chassis.

I'm one of those fools that wants to go back and fix the past.

One more thing I failed to mention about why I like the Smokey is that there is no visible trail. I think Shaft isn't visible in normal mode but it's too front heavy for the little Wasp.

Is it true Ricochets have good automatic vertical aim?
    I read that at wiki.

For everything else except Shaft in sniper mode you have to find a hill or ditch to elevate by increments for high & low targets.

If I were to consider a Paint for protective value, I'd go vs the damn frost sprayers. Can't run away after you get chilled.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    I've been thinking about starting over so that I can recoup all the crystals spent exploring other Turrets & Chassis.

I'm one of those fools that wants to go back and fix the past.
    I totally did that. I got up to the 3rd rank and then changed my account for that same reason. I even thought about doing it for this account, but I'm almost staff sergeant, and know hornet/ricochet is the way I want to go.

I think Shaft isn't visible in normal mode but it's too front heavy for the little Wasp.
    I saw a guy today with wasp/shaft. When his turret was turned at 90 degrees, he fired and knocked over onto his side from the recoil. It was hilarious to watch.

Is it true Ricochets have good automatic vertical aim?
    I read that at wiki.
    It's good, it's not great. It (the auto aim) gets more effective as the target is farther away.

If I were to consider a Paint for protective value, I'd go vs the damn frost sprayers. Can't run away after you get chilled.
    I haven't had much trouble with them. They usually don't try to fire until they're right up on me, and by that point I've usually gotten at least a shot or two on them before they get me. I usually out blast them.

It must take a lot of skill to effectively play Freeze. You have to always try to get people from the back (down fall to my turret is that it doesn't swing incredibly quick, so if they chill me from the direct back I'm screwed if there isn't a wall to bounce off of). In videos I've watched of high ranks Freeze seems to be popular.

Type
    INTP
    @OrionzRevenge

I'm going to be playing for probably the rest of the night into the wee hours tonight if you want to find/create a battle we can link up in and be friends.

Also I hit Staff Sargeant!

I thought a little more about how you were thinking of restarting to save crystals and be more stream line. I've been watching youtube videos of gameplay and people talking about different things worth purchasing or not and it seems like even the high ranks sometimes spend crystals on shit they don't like in the end (sometimes worth 20k crystals) and I think "you know, I've probably only spent 1200 crystals that I feel were wasted and that's really like 3/4 of a day of work... and will decrease as I rank up" so maybe its worth keeping with this account to save your rank since it seems you're in love with wasp/smokey. Just a thought.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    @OrionzRevenge

I'm going to be playing for probably the rest of the night into the wee hours tonight if you want to find/create a battle we can link up in and be friends.

Also I hit Staff Sargeant!

I thought a little more about how you were thinking of restarting to save crystals and be more stream line. I've been watching youtube videos of gameplay and people talking about different things worth purchasing or not and it seems like even the high ranks sometimes spend crystals on shit they don't like in the end (sometimes worth 20k crystals) and I think "you know, I've probably only spent 1200 crystals that I feel were wasted and that's really like 3/4 of a day of work... and will decrease as I rank up" so maybe its worth keeping with this account to save your rank since it seems you're in love with wasp/smokey. Just a thought.
    You Go!

I see we played about 3o minutes as team mates in Barda TDM...
    I entered when we were off about a of quarter the Blue teams score.
    LOL, I love that underdog chaos of desperate tooth & nail stuff when they surge and sit at the teams spawning base & block the exits.

Anyways don't know if you saw me but I followed you on the prowl a couple of sorties for a minute.

I think it's safe to say, at our level, Ricochet is probably the Best turret overall. The guys that do all the tweaking and evaluation of balance wouldn't have priced it as much elsewise. IMO

1800 crystals!? At first I was like no way, but I saw the score before entering Barda ( I had to wait for awhile till a slot opened in a full-house of 10 v 10) and you were number one of 20 with almost 700 points at that time.

I'm lucky if I make 300/day with a death to kill ration probably about 20%.
    It's good that I find delight in my game mania and (perceived to be) Gram-pappy Tank.
    One of the enemy sent me a text saying "Hack". Seeing that I'm not, it was received much better than it was sent I'm guessing.
    I'm also guessing it's because he probably has never seen an upgraded Smokey give a Critical hit and cause the victim to have electrical arcs as an impact effect.

...I don't think you'll be in Jr Varsity for much longer and we'll be prohibited from each others games. I'm like 95% the way to Master Sgt. but it's gonna be interesting to see how much further ahead you are in a week.

Have Fun!

Type
    INTP
    ...I don't think you'll be in Jr Varsity for much longer and we'll be prohibited from each others games. I'm like 95% the way to Master Sgt. but it's gonna be interesting to see how much further ahead you are in a week.

Have Fun!
    Aw thanks. I've played a lot of counter-strike and TF2. This game is kinda a 3rd person version of both of those.

Your gram-pappy looking tank is pretty cool, and indeed looks like a lot of fun. I see that you ranked up, I'm like 75% the way to Master Sargeant. I hope to get there tonight.

I've noticed that the shorter games seem to be the best overall crystal payout if they're crowded. A 7v7 game that's 5 minutes will get me 40 crystals per game (cause I'm one of the top 3 usually). The longer Barda games we were playing last night kinda screwed me in the crystal payout per hour, I didn't totally realize it at the time. It was a lot of fun though, I don't just play this game to get crystals.

Shorter games (40 per 5 min) = 480 an hour
    Longer games = 200 an hour

I also kept getting screwed by always being thrown on the worse team, though you're right it is awesome being the underdogs scrambling to just stay alive :P it's also really satisfying to kill 3 to 4 enemies camping our spawn and regaining our ground. Even though I would end up with the highest score in the game (and sometimes the most kills), I would only get 1/3 of what the top member of the other team would get.

Also I'm considering getting the metallic paint. Realistically it's going to be a really long time before I can afford a paint that's really any good if I want to get my M1 stuff first. It's a medium shade that blends in to a lot of things at Barda and Rio, and also some thunder protection doesn't hurt either. Seems to be increasingly popular as we rank, but Freeze seems to be the most popular overall imo.

Type
    INtP
    You know?
    Having you to bounce stuff off of (in the vacuum of source material) has made me change my perspective as to how fast one levels up. You are truly racking up a good death/kill ratio and it is reflected in your Game Score = Crystals.

But my style of wanton ways is earning me experience on par... but no coins.
    LOL, kinda an object lesson for life, Having fun today, don't worry 'bout the money...said the loser.

BUT I'm moving up without the coin needed for upgrades and set aside for the big items down the road.

I'm just going to have to get better at winning fights I pick, or I'm going get kicked around a lot in the ranks ahead.

Type
    INTP
    BUT I'm moving up without the coin needed for upgrades and set aside for the big items down the road.

I'm just going to have to get better at winning fights I pick, or I'm going get kicked around a lot in the ranks ahead.
    When you get to unlocking your M1, depending on how far off you are in crystals it might be worth the investment to spend 3 bucks (when you get the 2x crystal card randomly) and get 13k crystals (double the 5k, plus the bonus 1k. You also get a bonus 1k (not doubled) for your first purchase as well). Apparently there's also going to be some kind of christmas sale everyone keeps talking about, but I'm not sure what exactly will go on sale. Anyway, for a game this quality that doesn't require a subscription 3 bucks seems worth it to me. Besides it's obvious we're already battling people that have paid way more than that.

As people are beginning to unlock Firebird M1, the Firebirds are starting to get deadly. Yikes.

I grabbed a gold box yesterday! I was in Rio, and it was on the blue side of the beach.

Also I hit Master Sargent.