Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 New Year's Resolutions

Type
    INTP

2015 New Year's Resolutions

Are you making any resolutions this coming year?

Type
    INTP
    Haven't quite decided what my goals are for the coming year just yet... Here's what I posted last year:

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Focus on developing better theremin technique, maybe take lessons. Look into accessing funding for artist development.

Cull things. Discard things that I don't need or use. Sell them or craigslist or donate.

Move to England.

Get a new job. Corollary goals include portfolio development, networking, etc.

Deal with my investment situation. Learn about investments and such and rely less on the bad advice of others.

Write more and actually finish stuff.
    I accomplished and/or made significant progress on 4/6. I put theremin on hold when I moved to England but maybe I can get a new one now that I have a job. I haven't really finished any significant pieces of writing this past year. But overall... not bad, I guess.

Type
    INTP
    Last year I made a resolution to be more active on social media (seems useful for my line of work, so I decided on that as a resolution).

This year, I realize it only seems that way. As long as I'm paying attention to other people's posts, and reaching out to colleagues about jobs privately that's just as good.

I'm not sure if/what resolution(s) I'll have this year. I read an article years ago saying that making resolutions are counter-productive, and that you're better off taking action the minute you decide you're going to change something as opposed to waiting for an artificial start date. Supposedly you're rewarding a pattern in yourself that makes it okay to put things off, and they made an argument that that very behavior is why you weren't already doing the thing you're making your resolution in the first place.

It's probably more applicable to some resolutions more than others though, imo.

Type
    INtP
    ^You are active enough with your bazillion friends.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Create a professional website. Use it as a basis for developing my web development/Javascript skills which have kind of atrophied due to primarily working on enterprise systems the last couple of years.

Start putting out feelers for a serious attempt to get a PhD studentship in 2016.

Try to curb my habit of drinking excessively when given the opportunity.

Travel more.

Continue to improve my German skills, with focus on grammar and sentence structure.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Try to curb my habit of drinking excessively when given the opportunity.
    Motherfucker. I gave you multiple opportunities!!!

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Motherfucker. I gave you multiple opportunities!!!
    I know. But see here's the thing, I usually only drink excessively when there is a large crowd of people and/or dancing and I need to rid myself of my aversion to social events.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've followed through on my 2014 resolution to read a book a week so far. Pretty much anything I ever wanted to read under 200 pages.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Well, last year I said I wanted to move (probably London/US/Germany). I did in fact get resume and shit in order, but didn't go overseas (well, as in I actually went overseas to new york/San fran, but I took up a job in Melbourne and moved there instead). As part of going overseas, I did renew my passport, and I went to the physio and got my Achilles working to the point where I can cycle into work now, walk decent disand did a boxing class again recently...I doubt i'll ever run again though...

So, given that I like looking back and seeing whether I've done shit, lets have a crack at this:

- Need to get me two books (at least) written in 2015.
    - Present some stuff to data sciency people.
    - Cycle and box at least 3 times a week for the next year without pussying out. Get and remain fit.
    - Put out feelers to let me get out of bank if I choose to...
    - If not buy house, save shitloads of money and buy nothing...well ok, maybe not nothing.
    - Try not to get fired, but don't sweat it if you do...

Think up an optional extra...

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ahcir View Post
    ^You are active enough with your bazillion friends.
    As I read this I'm sitting alone in a diner eating eggs. So joke's on you!

HAH!

:/