Thread: former evangelical celebrities

Type
    intp

former evangelical celebrities

A thread for the refugees of evangelical nonsense to celebrate the cult celebrities who stray away from the ideology that brought them fame.

Even while I still had ties to the faith, I was ecstatic to learn that Ray Boltz and Jennifer Knapp had both come out of the closet.

He still plays at churches, but I would assume that his audience and themes are different after the bigger Christian labels dropped him.

Knapp plays music again and continues to identify as Christian, but she no longer markets music for Christian audiences. She's done some great interviews about it.

Jennifer Knapp: I have spiritual leadership in my life. The Pastoral council of those who are dear to me, who understand the scripture as sacred text —
    Pastor Bob: I don’t think they do Jen–
    Jennifer: Do not interrupt me. You are not that man in my life. [BAM!]
    Pastor Bob: I agree — I am not saying that I am your spiritual authority–
    Jennifer Knapp: But you do not know me, and you don’t have the right to speak to me in the manner in which you have publicly.
    Pastor Bob: I do have a role to stand up for the truth–
    Jennifer Knapp: In your congregation and for your community. But I ask you to not do that and not to say that you are doing that on my behalf.
    Pastor Bob: I am here as a representative of Jesus Christ.
    Jennifer Knapp: That’s fantastic.
    I wanna see your goodreads, so add me.

Type
    intp
    This thread was actually prompted by remembering that Rob Bell exists. The intellectually-bent members of my youth group were really into Velvet Elvis and his videos, but I always felt like there was a disconnect. Now Bell questions the existence of Hell and is ambivalent about the meaning of "Christian" and works with Oprah.

Type
    INtP
    Kevin Max sat at the table next to me once at a Starbucks. I have not followed him at all since I grew out of the unfortunate dc Talk stage of my life. However, in a current interview:
    "I'm vocal about the fact that I believe in Christ, but I'm scared of Christians," he continues. "The Christian public is such an intolerant bunch that I shy away from them. That makes me a thorn in a lot of people's sides because they want me to be a certain Christian widget, which I'm not and never will be."
    In the heyday of his fame he probably had all the groupies he wanted.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwitch View Post
    A thread for the refugees of evangelical nonsense to celebrate the cult celebrities who stray away from the ideology that brought them fame.
    Something slightly odd about that video is that the lyrics and the historical era are completely out of whack. If there was one thing in the middle ages that would get you brutally killed it would be renouncing the name of Christ, not refusing to.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    Kevin Max sat at the table next to me once at a Starbucks. I have not followed him at all since I grew out of the unfortunate dc Talk stage of my life. However, in a current interview:

In the heyday of his fame he probably had all the groupies he wanted.
    Oh weird. I don't think I would recognize any of them. Apparently the Newsboys (newly revived) performed in the tiny city near my hometown a couple years ago. They were also featured in that terrible God is not dead movie and, I'm told, haven't aged well.

I made an ex listen to a bunch of those groups one morning and it switched his youtube ads to Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Something slightly odd about that video is that the lyrics and the historical era are completely out of whack. If there was one thing in the middle ages that would get you brutally killed it would be renouncing the name of Christ, not refusing to.
    That reminds me... you'd probably enjoy this book review.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    That's an excellent review. Another excellent view is this.

One of the occupational hazards of being an atheist and secular humanist who has the lack of common sense to hang around on atheist discussion boards is to encounter a staggering level of historical illiteracy. I like to console myself that many of the people on such boards have come to their atheism via the study of science and so, even if they are quite learned in things like geology and biology, usually have a grasp of history stunted at about high school level. I generally do this because the alternative is to admit that the average person's grasp of history and how history is studied is so utterly feeble as to be totally depressing.
    This is something I encounter every time I wish to discuss these things.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INtP
    Oh weird. I don't think I would recognize any of them. Apparently the Newsboys (newly revived) performed in the tiny city near my hometown a couple years ago. They were also featured in that terrible God is not dead movie and, I'm told, haven't aged well.

I made an ex listen to a bunch of those groups one morning and it switched his youtube ads to Spanish.
    lol, Newsboys. Them, Audio Adrenaline, and Five Iron Frenzy were the CD's I bought when I had gift certificates to the Christian bookstore.

And I wouldn't have recognized him either except he was talking on his cell phone to a lawyer or publicist and the conversation tipped me off. And he was still ridiculously good-looking (this was over a decade ago).

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Catholic, not Protestant, but this is an interesting life story..

The Singing Nun