Thread: Playing hide and seek with "the Light" (Kabbalah)

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Playing hide and seek with "the Light" (Kabbalah)

This quote was originally from 72.com (about the 72 names of God)
    WHAT WAS MISSING
    Essentially the missing ingredient was the pleasure we derive from the challenge of playing hide and seek. In other words, our newly created existence would have been even more fun and fulfilling if we, ourselves, could create this Light of happiness instead of just receiving it courtesy of the Management.

So we said to the Creator: "Let's play hide and seek! You hide Your Light. We will find it."

BECOMING GOD
    When we work hard to find the Light, we feel a sense of accomplishment. We feel responsible for our own happiness. We feel like the cause. We feel like God. And nothing, but nothing, feels better than feeling like God, especially when we receive endless happiness as part of the package.

So that's essentially what happened. We closed our eyes, we counted to ten, and the Light hid. When the Light disappeared, this physical and dark universe erupted into existence!
    I've been finding these ideas helpful.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    We closed our eyes, we counted to ten, and the Light hid. When the Light disappeared, this physical and dark universe erupted into existence!
    Do I understand this correctly:

1. There was no universe.
    2. Yet there was light.
    3. And a hiding place for it, too.
    4. And eyes (ours, no less!) to perceive all of the above.
    5. Hence some kind of entity with a mind (else perception would have been impossible).
    6. AFTER ALL THIS EXISTED, the universe suddenly came into being. Out of nothing. Even though before, there was something.

...yeah, sounds about right.

Last edited by Sappho; 12-12-2014 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Schelling added for extra credibility.

Type
    INTP
    ..our newly created existence would have been even more fun and fulfilling if we, ourselves, could create this Light of happiness instead of just receiving it courtesy of the Management.
    Who the hell are this "We" and how can I tell them not to speak on my behalf.

Free happiness (a.k.a. paradise) straight from God? No thanks! Let's have life that for the majority of human history an be categorized as nasty, brutal and short. Idiots.

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I don't really believe in a supernatural realm - I think the universe might be like this:
    http://www.iflscience.com/physics/wh...mechanics-born
    I think we are like machines (no dualism, etc)
    But somehow I like the story behind that quote.