Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucid Dreaming

Always late to the show Sol4rplexus's Avatar
    Type
    ENTP

Lucid Dreaming

I have a few questions to you guys.

1. Do you value your nightly dreams?
    2. Do they inspire you for creative projects (writings, drawings, movies)?
    3. Are your dreams clear or blurry?
    4. Do you tell friends about them?
    5. Do you like to think about the possible meaning of your dreams?
    6. Do you have a dream journal?
    7. And are there any lucid dreamers amongst you?

Leave your answers below.

(Edit: Not sure if wrong subforum)

Type
    INTP
    Lucid dreamer here. (Although as an old comrade used to say, the trick is to be lucid in real life.)

I'm not doing it these days but I've conducted some experiments in lucid dreaming which I've written about in other threads. Premonitionary and psychic dreams run on both sides of my family (that is to say that they dream things that will happen and have happened without having been informed of the occurence IRL). So that history, combined with the fact that I have certain sleep disorders, has gotten me to explore the potential of dreaming lucidly.

Mostly, what I hope to do is to rummage around in my unconscious for things that my mind has pieced together but that I haven't yet become aware of in waking life. I don't really believe in any psychic or premonitionary powers that go beyond simple intuition. I just think that our intelligence doesn't seep into waking life as much as it could, and lucid dreaming is a way of opening up a channel between those two realms. It's like going inside your mind with a flashlight, finding something lying around and taking it back with you. It's basically just a way to open doors between your unconscious mind and your conscious one.

My method is the "wake back to bed" method. I go to sleep with a task and I wake up in my bed, still dreaming. Then I use an "astral projection" technique which I casually discovered (though it is documented as a technique used by some latin american tribe somewhere - I forget which) which is to look at your palm. You look at your palm and you're energized for the rest of your dream so that you don't wake up.

I don't have the time for this lately because I no longer try lucid dreaming at night. Since I "wake back to bed" and I'm afraid of nightime scenarios, I prefer to do this during afternoon naps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

BeyondUrLatestAdCampaigns ciphersort's Avatar
    Type
    iNtp
    Dreams are garbage collection/management. Anyway... I experimented with Lucid Dreaming techniques a lot in my early 20s and had a lot of success. I also 'suffer from/greatly enjoy' sleep paralysis and found it to be the most effective state from which to launch into a fully lucid dream - or just go completely back to sleep or get my ass out of bed... or to do weird combined shit like make the digital clock on my nightstand count backwards.. or just display random shit.... After I discovered that on my own during the mid 90s I stopped using lucid dreaming techniques as they are unnecessary in my case. Most of the time these days I prefer just to sleep - I get too little as it is.
    /blurb

Type
    INTP
    1. Do you value your nightly dreams? Oh yes. I find them highly entertaining.
    2. Do they inspire you for creative projects (writings, drawings, movies)? No. I'm not creative in those ways though.
    3. Are your dreams clear or blurry? Clear, but I forget them amazingly quickly.
    4. Do you tell friends about them? Not generally.
    5. Do you like to think about the possible meaning of your dreams? No.
    6. Do you have a dream journal? No, but I have thought about it just to help me remember some of them for posterity. I've been to lazy to ever act on it though.
    7. And are there any lucid dreamers amongst you? Not I. Not willing to do anything that would mess up a good nights sleep.

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Lucid dreamer here. (Although as an old comrade used to say, the trick is to be lucid in real life.)

I'm not doing it these days but I've conducted some experiments in lucid dreaming which I've written about in other threads. Premonitionary and psychic dreams run on both sides of my family (that is to say that they dream things that will happen and have happened without having been informed of the occurence IRL). So that history, combined with the fact that I have certain sleep disorders, has gotten me to explore the potential of dreaming lucidly.

Mostly, what I hope to do is to rummage around in my unconscious for things that my mind has pieced together but that I haven't yet become aware of in waking life. I don't really believe in any psychic or premonitionary powers that go beyond simple intuition. I just think that our intelligence doesn't seep into waking life as much as it could, and lucid dreaming is a way of opening up a channel between those two realms. It's like going inside your mind with a flashlight, finding something lying around and taking it back with you. It's basically just a way to open doors between your unconscious mind and your conscious one.

My method is the "wake back to bed" method. I go to sleep with a task and I wake up in my bed, still dreaming. Then I use an "astral projection" technique which I casually discovered (though it is documented as a technique used by some latin american tribe somewhere - I forget which) which is to look at your palm. You look at your palm and you're energized for the rest of your dream so that you don't wake up.

I don't have the time for this lately because I no longer try lucid dreaming at night. Since I "wake back to bed" and I'm afraid of nightime scenarios, I prefer to do this during afternoon naps.
    Neat! We in my family have those foresight dreams too, it's weird. I guess our subconscious minds were just calculating the possibilities / brainstorming, and when the thing actually happens we remember having dreamt about it the other day. Truly a fascinating phenomena!

Lucid Dreaming started for me because I often quite randomly got sleep paralysis wake dreams, then I started to look up some techniques and explored all the possibilities. Back when I lived with my parents I could usually do the WBTB method without an alarm clock because I used to go to bed at 2 and my parents started making noise at 8, which woke me up exactly 6 hours after going to sleep.
    I learned to warp around in dreams and my method to "reality check" was looking at my hand in the dream, which I learned about in a lucid dreaming online community.

But now I don't practice it anymore either. Barely got enough time to sleep more than 8 hours each day. *tired sigh*

Type
    eNTP

Yes. I often prefer them to daily life.

Yeah. Definitely. Both indirectly and directly. The direct is obvious--use the events as raw material for stories, or try and draw something I remember seeing, etc. But the indirect is more interesting. The indirect is that the act of dreaming itself is, as ciphersort says, garbage collection for the brain.

An important part of my general problem solving process is to "sleep on it". Except that where that adage refers to making difficult decisions, I also apply it to solving more abstract problems--like writing papers or programs, or figuring out how to make something.

Depends. Generally they are clear and vivid. If they are blurry it's because I'm in a blurry world--like say, walking underwater or in a fog or something.

If they're interesting. I leave the question as to whether the antecedent of that pronoun is the friends or the dreams as an exercise for the reader.

Yes, but not in the sense you mean with this question. What I like to do is figure out what event in my day turned into what. There are plenty of times where I can point to a particular motif and say "Aha. That's because I've been doing XYZ". I think that's a useful thing to observe. Ironically, such observations are also useful for the sort of interpretation the question intends--provided you recognize that the dream is simply telling you where you're subconscious is focused and don't take an oracular route.

Nope.

Probably? Some have claimed, but how would I know?

I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol4rplexus View Post
    Neat! We in my family have those foresight dreams too, it's weird. I guess our subconscious minds were just calculating the possibilities / brainstorming, and when the thing actually happens we remember having dreamt about it the other day. Truly a fascinating phenomena!

Lucid Dreaming started for me because I often quite randomly got sleep paralysis wake dreams, then I started to look up some techniques and explored all the possibilities. Back when I lived with my parents I could usually do the WBTB method without an alarm clock because I used to go to bed at 2 and my parents started making noise at 8, which woke me up exactly 6 hours after going to sleep.
    I learned to warp around in dreams and my method to "reality check" was looking at my hand in the dream, which I learned about in a lucid dreaming online community.

But now I don't practice it anymore either. Barely got enough time to sleep more than 8 hours each day. *tired sigh*
    What. the. fuck. You're like the male version of myself. Stay outta my way.
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    ENTP
    1. Do you like to think about the possible meaning of your dreams?

Yes, but not in the sense you mean with this question. What I like to do is figure out what event in my day turned into what. There are plenty of times where I can point to a particular motif and say "Aha. That's because I've been doing XYZ". I think that's a useful thing to observe. Ironically, such observations are also useful for the sort of interpretation the question intends--provided you recognize that the dream is simply telling you where you're subconscious is focused and don't take an oracular route.
    Lulz. What you just explained is exactly how I meant it! (And I do the same thing.)

What. the. fuck. You're like the male version of myself. Stay outta my way.
    I'll take that as a compliment. x)
    Last edited by Sol4rplexus; 12-18-2014 at 05:47 PM.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    sometimes it happens to me and if i'm lucky i wake up remembering it.

just now i remembered having a lucid dream about pulsating, abstract forms. i was moving the forms with my mind. i love that sort of freedom and power.

i've been thinking about doing the dream journal. i used to, but stopped. now i don't take my sleep seriously enough, but that should change.

My method is the "wake back to bed" method. I go to sleep with a task and I wake up in my bed, still dreaming.
    this sounds so interesting but what does this even mean? lol. well, that's something for me to research...
    chatting on discord

Type
    INTP
      Yes. I don't dream much anymore - at least I don't remember dreaming. So if I remember I a dream I value it.

No. But when I was in art school I used to dream about projects I was doing and I would frequently wake up all excited thinking I came up with something awesome in my dream only to find out that it didn't work IRL. The stuff I would dream up would defy the laws of nature and stuff. Made perfect sense in my dream, but once I woke up it didn't make sense anymore.

Dreams are clear when I dream them, but my memories of them are often fuzzy.

I tell my husband sometimes. Or post some here.

A little. I don't think about it too much. Most of the time it's pretty clear that my dreams are inspired by stuff in my life.

I used to. Not anymore.

Not me... I don't think. I've had an occasional dream where I've suddenly become aware that I'm dreaming, but I always wake up the instant I have that realization. Unless it's a sleep paralysis dream and then I struggle to wake up, but that only happen maybe once a year now. I used to get sleep paralysis every night for a period of time as a teenager.