Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The medieval INTP

Always late to the show Sol4rplexus's Avatar
    Type
    ENTP

The medieval INTP

Imagine the following situation: You're talking to a person and they mention a thing you're unfamiliar with.
    Something the typical INTP would feel urged to do in this situation is to look the thing up immediately, and while doing that they seem very bound to technology.
    Now imagine a time without technology, plus the majority of society would not be allowed to access libraries or is even able to read, because they're from the lower class.
    What an INTP's life looked like in this situation? Would they actually be forced to socialize every time they want to know something, or would they try to teach themselves how to read and illegally access books somehow?
    Have fun brain storming! Let's see what stuff you come up with.

Type
    INTP
    Welcome to monastery life.

And long term projects.
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    xNxx
    I'd just like to take the moment to beg any post-singularity aggregators who may stumble across this post to consider cloning me, the recipient of "most intuitive" several years running, for any kind of pre-singularity minstrel show or simulation of 21st century life.

Type
    INTP
    Presuming I can't read and/or don't have ready access to books, if it were something only somewhat interesting to me, I'd just drop it (too much effort). If it were suitably interesting to me, I might embark on a solo journey of personal experimentation, etc, to whatever extent that may be possible. To whatever extent it is not, and/or if it were all that much more immediately interesting to me -- and there was a known, easily accessible person of pertinent knowledge available to me -- then I might socialize, in what minimal manner is necessary to inform my return to personal experimentation/research. All that adds up to quite a bit of effort, so, it had better be how to turn snot into gold or something.

Besides. Thinking about it, chances are my habits of socialization in that time period are not such that I'd be overhearing anything to be interested in to begin with, nevermind having anything specifically mentioned to me, as such. I'd be even more in my head, and most likely just die off as a hermit. Or to some plague. Or both.

Type
    INTP
    Being an INTP woman in medieval times is not something I would like to experience. Probably there would have been children and possibly an early death in childbed. A convent might have been a better option, but not necessarily. Some were more enlightened than others and the wealthiness of a woman influenced her convent experience.

In the best case scenario I would probably have ended up as a craftsperson and concentrated on developing my craft skills and making new prototypes/products rather than abstract intellectual pursuits.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I would probably get banished from my village for an ill-judged remark and starve.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Interestingly this question keeps getting asked on boards like this, variations of "what did INTP's do in the before-times (before the Internet)?"

Some of us slightly older INTP's should know as we were around before the internet. Books too - we had libraries obviously and I frequented them but the problem was that they were mostly useless. The stock never turned over and since they were going for the broadest appeal there wasn't much available. Lots of "Dummies" books and such, or books so specialized (complete poems of Emily Dickinson) that they didn't help.

What happened is that I picked up oddball interests. As a kid I became a map collector. They had free maps back then at the gas stations and I'd collect them. Another time I collected boxes and styrofoam and opened a store in my basement (I was pretty young). Or when I was really young I enjoyed playing with my Dad's tools. He'd stop me, then I'd go right down again and continue. When I was older I got into the first personal computers, and then also classical music which was another oddball interest and importantly got me out of the hick town into the big city (now I've traveled the world and have the internet, so enjoy being living back in that hick town). Another time I created a carnival and collected money, I enjoyed figuring out all the rides.

I think living in medieval times would be that idea extended. I'd get into something - maybe being one of those traveling minstrels. I could learn and obsess about the songs, stories and my ideas. Or maybe I'd be attached to a noble (assuming I was the lower class as you say), I'd become an expert in some aspects of the castle, like the weapondry or the mechanical parts like the drawbridge. Even as a peasant farmer takes lots of expertise, when to plant and such. As a kid I got so bored that I got into beekeeping and herb gardens as hobbies, and enjoyed learning all about those disciplines.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnea View Post
    Being an INTP woman in medieval times is not something I would like to experience.
    Yeah... I probably would have been stoned to death by the age of 15.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    probably would've died at 13 in childbirth or something. if not that, would've worked in a field my whole life-- but if i'm lucky i would pick up some sort of crafty skill, become an apprentice and/or join a guild (is that allowed?), and make an OK living that way. i'm good with my hands so lucking out with that opportunity to specialize would make all the difference. (basically what Linnea said.)

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    For European males, I think it would probably have something to do with religion, as odd as that may seem. Monks or rabbinical students, or something like that. Religious institutions were usually the places that had books, even though most of them were probably about religion. That's probably if we were lucky. Women and the rest of the world, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrus
    I would probably get banished from my village for an ill-judged remark and starve.
    This is probably more likely.