Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little subforums that don't deserve their own identity.

Type
    INTP

Little subforums that don't deserve their own identity.

What the FUCK?!

Seriously? It took this forum less than a fucking day for its members collectively to fold, to give up on any pretense of confidence, creativity, or individuality. Less than a day to decide, once and for all, that opening an idea up for discussion for a window of more than maybe, ohgoshwhatifmommysees, four or five hours is all that we have the fortitude to stand?

This forum is empty. Not just the RR&H section, the whole-fucking-forum. But let's take this subforum as an example of how to do things wrong: locking every rant, every rave, and every stupid idea into three shitty rehashed rambling blog-format threads has an equivalent retardation level to being the kid who arrives at a pristine sandbox, but doesn't dive in to see what he can build. Instead, he just pulls out three grains of sand that he now arranges linearly, now in a triangle pattern, and... fuck, I guess it's just co-planar and co-linear variations after that.

"Building a castle out of all that sand? Gee, I don't know, Suzy; that sure sounds awful messy! Why, while you were talking about your new silly castle, I rolled this little bit into fifteen discrete positions. Fifteen triangles to your one crappy castle! Wh-why are you looking at me like I'm dead inside?"

That's because you should be asking about what's inside Suzy's castle, Billy. You shouldn't care if it's messy, because messy is fun. You need to drop those three grains of sand, Billy. You need to attempt to form that sand into the most terrifying face that I could never imagine. I don't want to see you rearrange the same triangles again. I'm totally over triangles.

EVERYTHING deserves its own thread right now. It doesn't matter if the thread sucks. You know why? It'll just sink. Don't worry, at this early stage, your failed thread is not necessarily indicative of any personal failings. This place just doesn't have the activity level to support your idea yet. Even if it turns out that you are a wholly repellent human being, that's okay: I'm pretty awful, too. We can hug it out. And maybe after hugging, we can...?

If your thread doesn't sink, but doesn't fulfill the purpose you intended for it? Then you've just achieved something GREAT! It may be frustrating the first time you see something get threadjacked or repurposed--just accept that those lumpy masses of unexpected growth are the roots of greater ideas, and not some kind of cancer that need not exist.

Consider an idea left out in the open, ready for a response. By its solitary nature, it is more likely to see a reply: it may connect with someone new and draw them out. Or maybe it will draw out often-lurkers such as myself to appear out of nowhere and give an unexpected (or predictable) performance! Science has proven that every new thread is 452% more likely to become the moment that defines the forum or the community for a new member than a useless threadnaught intended for a closed group of vetted initiates. Who are you to argue with science? Obviously some kind of kind of conservative, anti-scientist jerkbag.

Put another way: the more active discussions we have running simultaneously, the more active and--just maybe--new members we might end up pulling in.

More activity and more newness means maybe this place can have an actual identity of its own, rather than be remembered as one of a dozen spin-offs, knock-offs, and jerk-offs spawned from some parent community. You're already on pretty shaky ground if you're doing little more than copying some of the worst institutions from the parent community because they're comfortable. Fuck you, and fuck your feelings of comfort!

To produce a repeated reduction one more time for the sake of being redundant again: limiting the opportunity for response limits everyone's opportunities to be surprised. And you're a bunch of fucking morons if you don't think that places like this don't run on novelty as much if not more than they run on community.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I don't want to talk about that.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    What hath come out of the Wilderness eating Locust?!

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I am READY TO START A NEW THREAD!

Type
    INTP
    This sounds dangerous. I think we should ban Rhu.

Type
    INxP
    "Triangles are my favorite shape, three points where two lines meet."

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    This sounds dangerous. I think we should ban Rhu.
    Nonsense.

First of all -- I say bullshit on that idea of yours, sir.

Second, if you felt that strongly about it, you'd have posted a thread about it. Which you did not. So you are twice dismissed from having made a post of merit in these parts.

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhu View Post
    What the FUCK?!

Seriously? It took this forum Polemarch, that little shitface less than a fucking day for its members collectively to fold, to give up on any pretense of confidence, creativity, or individuality.
    Oh, I'll be watching YOU.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    Alright, alright, ok, you win! Please stop choking me now, I submit

Type
    INxP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhu View Post

I know it's getting old. No more after this. I fucking pinky swear.