Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: quitting smoking

Merry Christmas
    Type
    INFP

quitting smoking

I was busy travelling so I ended up not smoking for a day and that turned into a plan to stop completely. I haven't smoked since last Tuesday. It might be my pessimistic imagination, but the effects seem to get worse every day. I can't focus at all and I have really important work I need to finish. I'm crying all the time. I slept through most of today.

So my plan was to stop all at once but I'm not sure that's a good strategy anymore; maybe I should do it more gradually. I'd like to be happy. Is there any way to do this without so much stress? Has anyone here quit smoking?

If not, I guess this thread could just be about strategies for overcoming bad habits

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have quit many times. I'm an expert.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    I quit once, but it only lasted for 4 months until life went to hell in a hand-basket.

I have spoken with scores of recovering Hard Drug addicts that still smoke and tell me it is far worse.

If you have been at it a week >>> KEEP GOING! You Can Do It.

Contemplating now resorting to a gradual reduction is what in the RE-Hab trade we call Stinking Thinking. That little Devil on your shoulder kinda stuff.

Maybe check to see if your insurance covers Nic Patches. If so, get your doctor to prescribe you a weening prescription.
    Or E-Cigs.

Anything is better than pulling carcinogens into your lungs constantly.

Remember to breathe deeply when you feel stressed.
    Drink fruit Juice to cleanse.
    Maybe put a rubber-band around your wrist and give yourself a little snap when you get the urge.
    Soon, you'll start to notice how great everyday foods taste.

Best of Luck
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    Nicotene Lozenges - they worked for me and my wife, although you might get hooked on them for awhile too. At least your lungs will thank you.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Try drinking mate. It helps with the oral fixation and it'll give you an energy boost when you think you need to concentrate. Also, cardio when you're feeling stressed. I started 6 days a week because that was the only thing that could help me deal with the anxiety.

Sometimes you have to quit many times before you quit definitively, so don't get discouraged.
    Last edited by Madrigal; 12-24-2014 at 04:11 AM.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Merry Christmas
    Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ahcir View Post
    I have quit many times. I'm an expert.
    I'm sorry that you're an expert. Have you finally succeeded?

Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    If you have been at it a week >>> KEEP GOING! You Can Do It.
    Thanks.

Maybe check to see if your insurance covers Nic Patches. If so, get your doctor to prescribe you a weening prescription.
    Or E-Cigs.

Anything is better than pulling carcinogens into your lungs constantly.

Remember to breathe deeply when you feel stressed.
    Drink fruit Juice to cleanse.
    Maybe put a rubber-band around your wrist and give yourself a little snap when you get the urge.
    Soon, you'll start to notice how great everyday foods taste.

Best of Luck
    Good advice.
    I'm looking forward to tasting things.

Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Nicotene Lozenges - they worked for me and my wife, although you might get hooked on them for awhile too. At least your lungs will thank you.
    I'll research this. They sound intimidating for some reason but they're probably ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Try drinking mate. It helps with the oral fixation and it'll give you an energy boost when you think you need to concentrate. Also, cardio when you're feeling stressed. I started 6 days a week because that was the only thing that could help me deal with the anxiety.

Sometimes you have to quit many times before you quit definitively, so don't get discouraged.
    ordered some mate

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    I'm sorry that you're an expert. Have you finally succeeded?
    Aye lass, I'm a quitter. It's been 8ish years.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Is there any way you could take a holiday or find a temporary job near the sea, or any place with clean air? I smoked for five years and quit cold turkey when I went to work on Guernsey for the second time. The breeze was so fresh and clean that it seemed silly to smoke, so I decided to kick the Gauloises for the length of my stay (three months). After that, I never really felt a desire to smoke again.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    I have spoken with scores of recovering Hard Drug addicts that still smoke and tell me it is far worse.
    Yeah, this is why I have vowed never to start. I have poor impulse control as it is - as soon as I go down that road I'd be chain smoking before you know it. Liver cirrhosis sounds more fun than lung cancer anyway.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    intp
    I've quit many times. Fortunately, it's gotten to the point that the taste is no longer appealing. I have to be really drunk to enjoy a full cigarette. I don't really know how that happened, though. I don't think I have any more self control than before.
    I wanna see your goodreads, so add me.