Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: quitting smoking

Type
    INFP
    I got an e-cig today. I haven't smoked in a few days after not having smoked for about a week and a half about a month back. It does the trick but looks ridiculous. Anything to not lust after carbs like I do cold turkey.
    Even if I knew that tomorrow
    the world would go to pieces,
    I would still plant my apple tree

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    If you have been at it a week >>> KEEP GOING! You Can Do It.
    This. I recommend against any nicotine substitutes, I think cold turkey is the best way to go. People I know who've tried to quit with substitutes always seem to suffer and struggle for longer periods with the substitute.

Exercise is great for quitting, I think. The endorphins and things can help with cravings, but also I think it's good to have the feeling that you're sacrificing comfort for self-improvement, a reminder that you're accomplishing something. Pay attention to the good things you notice, the improved lung capacity and smell and taste.

It will get easier as you keep going. The longer you stay off of them, the more you have to lose by going backward. I smoked between 10 and 20 cigarettes a day and I've been off for 3 or 4 years. I hardly ever get cravings anymore. I even find myself disgusted occasionally by second-hand smoke now. Good luck, believe in yourself

Type
    INFP
    E-cig is my favorite thing. Sure, it feels like cheating and I'm more addicted to nicotine than I've ever been post-Operation Enduring Freedom, but I haven't smoked since xmas eve and I'm not even tempted.

Type
    INxP
    In an abstract sense I want to give up but in a concrete sense, smoking is one of the few things I find quite pleasurable. There are so many aspects of smoking I quite enjoy and that are so deeply ingrained in my day-to-day life, I know it would be hard to give up. I'm struggling just to keep my habit under a pack a day.

Even though it does occasionally disgust me, I've never tried to give up and I don't know what would convince me that it is time to give up. I hope I do though at some point. I dunno.

I smoked cloves for a bit when I was 21. anything else was too revolting and I quit that shortly after I started. I tried smoking cigars briefly too. overdid it and felt sick. done with that too. I just generally had an aversion to it from two heavy smoker parents.

my asshole "dad" used to smoke with me in the car and the windows rolled up when I was a kid. dick.

my mom smoked winstons for over 30 years and finally quit after many times of telling my poor step-dad to hide them and about ripping his head off when, following instructions, he refused to give them back to her, which he of course did lol. I couldn't believe she finally quit a few years ago cold turkey. she used to cough routinely. now not at all. what did I tell you?

cigs don't really do much for me but make me cough and feel vaguely and not entirely pleasantly weird at most.
    if I'm going to fuck up my body smoking something, I'm going to at least get something out of it.

Type
    INTP
    I'm in love with nicotine lozenges. I smoked for 12 or 13 years (dont remember anymore) about a pack and a half at my worst. Quit 5 years ago. (I think?)

But lozenges... we are soul mates. The "minis" are the best.
    Don't remember changing this.

Senior Member Snake Champion
    Type
    INTP
    I just quit on and off. One and done. (pack that is).

Type
    INTP
    I was never a smoker, but I grew up in a family with a history of various addictions, and happened to study the underlying philosophies and psychology of what seems to make programs like AA effective for people in the long run.

In my own observation, it is exceedingly difficult to stay quit when you are fighting your attraction to the object of your addiction. What seems to work better is when you develop a stronger attraction to an alternative--where you quite not because you are anti-smoking, but pro-health; where you are not anti-drinking, but pro sobriety.
    In the case of programs like AA, they don't really vilify drinking...everyone's in the same boat, and all that would do is burden everyone with an excess of guilt to deal with--which increases the likelihood of relapse anyway.

As above, in Sappho's case, the love of the fresh air exceeded the love of cigarette smoke. In your case, perhaps a love of the taste of good food might exceed your love of smoke. For other people, their love for their kids or grandkids eventually replaces their attraction to smoking.

In short, it isn't about what you're against, it's about what you are for.

Type
    INFP
    Four months a few days ago. Still on the e-cigarette daily. Easiest time I've ever had not smoking. My endurance and sense of smell feel like non-smoker levels. I'm shooting for July to be off of the e-cig. I'm pretty confident that I won't smoke again in my life, thanks to vaping. Cigarette smoke smells like ass to me nine times out of ten at this point (that tenth time, though).

Type
    xxxx
    This is how I quit smoking:

> be a daily smoker

> quit for two months (its hard, but you just have to push)

> smoke again, but like a lot in one night : half a pack of reds. get extremely nauseous and be sick for the rest of the night

> quit for another month

> start smoking socially (only bumming off others) but feel sick everytime

Aversion therapy. You start to associate smoking with dysphoria and malaise, as opposed to the high. I used to plan my day around cigarettes but now I dont even get cravings anymore.