Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: quitting smoking

Type
    ENTP
    I'm pleased to say that I quit almost a year ago. I rarely miss the actual act of smoking. Even when I get drunk, I still basically don't want one. The idea of inhaling all that toxic smoke and having asthma and a sore throat and coughing all the time is enough to kill off any minute craving I might have. I enjoyed the act of escaping a situation, going outside, and having something to do while thinking to myself for a few minutes. I guess I just don't do that anymore, and it's fine.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Cynical Facetious Heckler mancroft's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I recommend one of these e-cigs http://www.amazon.co.uk/eShisha-Club...s=eShisha+Club

Bought one in December and cut my tobacco consumption by over 75% instantly.

Saving a packet.
    INTPC UK Photos ... MBTI Guide

Baaaraaack Obaaamaaa.

Type
    INFP
    Seven days nicotine free. Angry all the time. No focus. Not sure it's worth it to live without the drug. Cough less and have more money to spend on stupid shit? Trust me, I spent the other day with my 97 year old grandma and I have no desire to live past a certain age. Social stigma? My personality takes care of that regardless of my personal habits. I feel like I have nothing to look forward to. Find some non-drug to look forward to? Ur funny.

I'll still inertia my way through at least a couple of more days. I should really be used to impotent rage by now.
    Even if I knew that tomorrow
    the world would go to pieces,
    I would still plant my apple tree

Type
    IXTP
    A while back I decided to quit smoking, and I was cigarette free for about a year and a half, but some stressful stuff happened in my life and I went back to smoking.

Oral fixation is a big part of smoking. Chewing gum, eat sunflower seeds and popping Altoids mints really helped me keep my mind off smoking. One thing to watch out for is over eating. Try not to cope with the stress of quitting by eating a lot of food. For some reason when you quit smoking you tend to gain more weight.

I'd like to quit again sometime in the future, but at the moment I'm kind of apathetic about it. There are worse things I could be doing, and I feel that the amount that I smoke is well within moderation. It takes me about a week to go through a pack of cigarettes. I usually smoke once in the morning, and again in the evening. So for me smoking is mostly a way to cope with stress, and depression, and general anxiety about life.

It's not great but,

Type
    INTP
    I got an e-cig about a year and a half ago. It's cool because you can choose your own nicotine level and gradually step down. There is a lot of unverified stuff floating around on how e-cigs are worse then smoking, but I'm not buying it. I imagine it's probably not a lot different than patches, but definitely not worse than actually smoking a cigarette. I can't even stand the smell of cigarette smoking and I can't remember the last time I smoked one.

Type
    INTP
    General ideas about changing habits

• You have to go cold turkey - I mean cold, especially with physical/food items. Otherwise you never lose the taste for them, which takes about 3-4 weeks.
    • Substitution to something less bad is a good idea for physical habits. When you think "I need X" then think "instead I'll get Y". Then later substitute Z for Y. I used this technique to get off sugar - all forms of it like dried fruit.
    • Mental habits are only changed at night when you sleep. That's when the brain rearranges your neural nets, repairs and such. The way to change a bad habit (e.g. worrying), is to think about how you want to be during the day. Right as you drop off, also think about this. As you sleep your brain will rework those neural nets. The next morning you'll be a little different, but you won't be able to tell (from the inside) because you just did a type of 'reboot'. Keep notes though (video/audio/written), and keep doing it. After a month or two you'll have demonstrably changed, and the notes will prove it.
    • Judge yourself at the beginning; do you really have the will to do this? If not then don't start, it'll just chalk up a failure.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Last edited by uselessbum; 09-06-2015 at 04:38 PM.

Type
    xxxx
    Try my form of aversion therapy, force yourself to smoke 3 packs in one night (if you're a less-than-a-pack-a-day-person) spend the night puking & in a haze of nausea. Repeat every night until you can't stand the sight or smell of a cigarette. Just reinforce the fact that it's a poison you're consuming.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    Try my form of aversion therapy, force yourself to smoke 3 packs in one night (if you're a less-than-a-pack-a-day-person) spend the night puking & in a haze of nausea. Repeat every night until you can't stand the sight or smell of a cigarette. Just reinforce the fact that it's a poison you're consuming.
    That happened to me the first time I ever smoked. (From one cigarette--I spent what felt like 6 hours trying to lie down without feeling like I was on one of those "spin til you puke" carnival rides.)

Not an auspicious sign of this method working for me as a way to quit (apparently "don't do that shit again" was a message that got lost on its way from my body to my brain) but I'm glad it worked for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    It is my plan to quit as many things as I possibly can before I quit this world one day. I remember that fine day I first quit smoking, some fool puffed in my face and I knocked his old ass out.