Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Sony Hacking

  1. #1
    Senior Member Spartan26's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,921

    Sony Hacking

    This is part of an on-going assault as Sony's computer system was majorly hacked. Previously, the hackers released some emails of studio head, Amy Pascal. Some people were calling for her head. Having worked in business affairs, I didn't think what she was saying was bad. At least, what I saw. It's really common place. In fact, it displayed more of a sense of humor than I knew she possessed.

    Anyway, a couple of huge theater chains are deciding not to show The Interview. Apparently, some of the code of virus or warning message that was sent to Sony was written in Korean. I'm not entirely convinced that this is coming from North Korea, despite the threat not to show the film that seems to disparage N. Korea's leader. I tend to believe this was instigated out of some outsource company, prolly handling digi-f/x that felt they should've gotten paid more or got cut out of business. Maybe a South Korean company, with The Interview just being a show of solidarity against westerners exploiting them for profit w/out consideration for their value as people.

  2. #2
    schlemiel Faust's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    This is part of an on-going assault as Sony's computer system was majorly hacked. Previously, the hackers released some emails of studio head, Amy Pascal. Some people were calling for her head. Having worked in business affairs, I didn't think what she was saying was bad. At least, what I saw. It's really common place. In fact, it displayed more of a sense of humor than I knew she possessed.

    Anyway, a couple of huge theater chains are deciding not to show The Interview. Apparently, some of the code of virus or warning message that was sent to Sony was written in Korean. I'm not entirely convinced that this is coming from North Korea, despite the threat not to show the film that seems to disparage N. Korea's leader. I tend to believe this was instigated out of some outsource company, prolly handling digi-f/x that felt they should've gotten paid more or got cut out of business. Maybe a South Korean company, with The Interview just being a show of solidarity against westerners exploiting them for profit w/out consideration for their value as people.
    Sony just cancelled theatrical release - http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...the-interview/

    I think you're right. The message from the hackers, as though written from North Koreans, itself seems theatrical if not contrived or amateurish, for a governing body anyway. Must be disinformation. It could just as well be the Chinese, but I guess South Koreans are just as likely. I actually wonder if the angle of using the film as the motive was an afterthought to the successful hack.

    We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places “The Interview” be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to. Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made.

    The world will be full of fear.

    Remember the 11th of September 2001.

    We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time.

    (If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.)

    Whatever comes in the coming days is called by the greed of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

    All the world will denounce the SONY.
    durr how do I writes terrorist statement?

    They're hackers. Nothing would have happened showing this movie, but it's bad press to do so.

  3. #3
    Ieilaelite pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,954
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sony was behind this themselves. Makes for great publicity.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Desolation Row
    Posts
    3,903
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sony was behind this themselves. Makes for great publicity.
    Agreed. Now the movie is on everyone's radar.

    I think there's a good chance this is a brilliant publicity stunt.

  5. #5
    schlemiel Faust's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,401
    U.S. links North Korea to Sony hack

    Huh. My favorite part of all this is that everyone, seems like, doubted they were even capable of it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    LA County
    Posts
    2,766
    Hmm. Sony. Japan. Hostages.

    That makes more sense.

  7. #7
    Hasta Siempre Madrigal's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maņana
    Posts
    9,714
    The whole Sony thing is so fucking retarded on both sides I can barely follow the story. All I gotta say is they better not touch a hair on Seth Rogen's head.

    </3

    (Like anything's gonna happen to anyone, this is so fucking stupid, my God.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

  8. #8
    Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Posts
    5,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    The whole Sony thing is so fucking retarded on both sides I can barely follow the story.
    The whole thing kind of reminds me of the Tom Lehrer quote about how the day Henry Kissinger won the Nobel peace prize was the day political satire died. The whole story line would have been the premise for a dystopian parody a scant few years ago.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

  9. #9
    Senior Member Spartan26's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,921
    Met a friend for lunch on the Sony lot today. So many areas of the company were affected. I bought a few items out of the studio store and they were writing out by hand every item that was purchased because it would be easiest way to re-establish inventory. She was pointing out quite a few people who's ID was jacked. The only way they knew was when they'd get an email from eBay or PayPal sending them their receipt thanking them for their purchase. A few who worked there thought they should still release movie. I asked if they were going to have employee screenings for it and found out they had suspended screenings of all films since the hack. That'd suck since Sony was good about offering screenings just about every night of the week and not just Sony product. It was funny (odd/surreal) to put faces to names of some of the people whose emails wound up in the Hllywd trade publication. It's like really dude, you think that way??

  10. #10
    Hasta Siempre Madrigal's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maņana
    Posts
    9,714
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    The whole thing kind of reminds me of the Tom Lehrer quote about how the day Henry Kissinger won the Nobel peace prize was the day political satire died. The whole story line would have been the premise for a dystopian parody a scant few years ago.
    It just gets better.

    George Clooney Tried To Get Hollywood To Support Sony

    He's so fucking adorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •