Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US moves to end Cuban embargo

Type
    INTP

US moves to end Cuban embargo

U.S. moves to end Cuban Embargo - http://bigstory.ap.org/article/7f7f6...ner-alan-gross

Canadian boomers don't seem terribly happy about it. There's still a tourism travel ban apparently.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    U.S. moves to end Cuban Embargo - http://bigstory.ap.org/article/7f7f6...ner-alan-gross

Canadian boomers don't seem terribly happy about it. There's still a tourism travel ban apparently.
    I think this deserves it's own thread.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    I think this deserves it's own thread.
    Yeah, you're right.

You have the honors.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post

The trade embargo is Congressional legislation. Obama's executive orders can open embassies and issue travel visas, but I suspect the Republicans in Congress will try to obstruct this when it comes to trade policy.

Tourism is a major carrot (a lot of Caribbean economies basically run on US tourist dollars) that will presumably be held for use in future negotiations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    The trade embargo is Congressional legislation. Obama's executive orders can open embassies and issue travel visas, but I suspect the Republicans in Congress will try to obstruct this when it comes to trade policy.
    I suspect Obama is trolling the Republicans. I love it when he trolls the Republicans.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    I suspect Obama is trolling the Republicans. I love it when he trolls the Republicans.
    Sounds like a good call. I kind of doubt that the majority of the public wants our foreign policy to be completely driven by Marco Rubio and 27 old crusty Cuban exiles from Miami. This might turn out to be a divisive issue for the republicans.

Type
    INTP
    US rejects Cuba demand to hand back Guantanamo Bay base

US President Barack Obama "does believe that the prison at Guantanamo Bay should be closed down... but not the naval base", the White House said.

The land on which the base stands was leased to the US by Cuba in 1903.

The Cuban government which came to power in the revolution of 1959 has long demanded its return, saying it is a violation of international law, but the US points to a legal provision making the lease permanent unless it is terminated by mutual agreement.
    Fucking sickening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post

In what scenario does it make sense to give up the base? To build goodwill? lol
    Then why did he put the Devil in me?

Type
    INTP
    Castro never dreamed he would get it back. He just included the demand so that Obama could have a point of refusal so that he wouldnt look spineless and to make the lifting of the embargo look like a workable compromise.

Type
    INTJ
    Does this mean that Cubans in South Florida will soon be heading 'home'?