Thread: The long silver stumble

Type
    INTP

The long silver stumble

I have older parents in their mid 60s. The past few years my father's memory has been slipping. He forgets recent events and his overall sense of time is very poor. He'll ask you to repeat recent conversation topics two or three times.

Still, he's able to talk about past events with lots of clarity. He's also able to watch movies and tv shows and is able to discuss overall themes and motivations. He's been to the doctor and after a number of tests, they conclude nothing is wrong. Ha.

My concern of course is that it's going to get worse. I've tried bringing it up with my mom, and while she recognizes it's happening, she doesn't want to talk about it.

Type
    INTP
    Who knows, maybe its nothing. These sorts of situations are pretty delicate, but he's been to a doctor for tests so its seems like there is at least a certain amount of awareness. Talking about it is always better than ignoring it, even if it's painful.

There are some good books on the subject with real steps that people can take regarding diet and lifestyle changes that can positively affect different neuro-degenerative diseases. Perhaps giving them some information like this with real steps they can personally take towards being proactive would help remove some feelings of powerlessness and keep the conversation rolling.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopharian View Post
    Who knows, maybe its nothing. These sorts of situations are pretty delicate, but he's been to a doctor for tests so its seems like there is at least a certain amount of awareness. Talking about it is always better than ignoring it, even if it's painful.

There are some good books on the subject with real steps that people can take regarding diet and lifestyle changes that can positively affect different neuro-degenerative diseases. Perhaps giving them some information like this with real steps they can personally take towards being proactive would help remove some feelings of powerlessness and keep the conversation rolling.
    I think my problem was I didn't have an actual plan when I brought things up with my mom. I'll do some research and see where that leads me.

Type
    INFP
    I don't know quite how old he is but something I noticed in the aged in my life is that normally alert and fully capable people will have memory/problem solving issues when mildly ill. Like resources are being drained away to fight the issue. Could be something totally minor like the sniffles or a uti...
    Oh fuck it, Its the 90's.

Has he been to see a geriatrician? There are special tools to evaluate cognitive function that they use that a regular primary care doctor might not (or you can see someone in neuropsych, too). However, depending on the root cause, the changes may not be reversible.