Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Echoes of the Browser Wars

Type
    INTP

Echoes of the Browser Wars

Microsoft's new "Spartan" browser?

The question is, will anyone care?

The browser wars are just about over. Microsoft has lost. Heck, they were never really winning, they just kept going while Netscape tripped over itself for about a decade.

On the one hand, perhaps they've finally figured out that the "Internet Explorer" name wasn't doing them any favors, regardless of what progress they made or attempted to make. On the other, the name "Microsoft" itself has about as bad a tarnish as IE. So they could call their next browser "free gold and blowjobs", and still they'd be shunned when not simply ignored.

Type
    intp
    They better make this backwards compatible with IE. I still struggle to provide support for software that hasn't been updated to work with versions of IE later than 7. Which, by the way, seems like the only utility anyone uses IE for anymore -- compatibility for products that need some version of IE or another in order to run.

Type
    INTP
    From what I gathered on another site's article, they will continue to package IE as a backwards-compatible measure. Meanwhile, I guess they'll march forward into the future with "Spartan". Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    From what I gathered on another site's article, they will continue to package IE as a backwards-compatible measure. Meanwhile, I guess they'll march forward into the future with "Spartan". Something like that.
    I cringe at the added compatibility complications that might arise from yet another browser. Although I suspect it will essentially be IE under the hood with a different wrapping.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    The question is, will anyone care?
    Given the general reaction to Windows 8/10 and Surface I think the answer is pretty self-evident.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    From what I gather, they are going to fork Trident (the rendering engine). One for IE/compatibility, one for "Spartan" ongoing? so in a sense, yes, it is just repackaged IE, at least to start?

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    From what I gather, they are going to fork Trident (the rendering engine). One for IE/compatibility, one for "Spartan" ongoing? so in a sense, yes, it is just repackaged IE, at least to start?
    Out of interest have you ever worked on your own HTML/CSS/JS rendering engine?
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    That's a tall order. Not really. I've written XML-dialect parser/UI-renderers before, but that's a much smaller scope than a fully fledged HTML/etc parser/renderer.

edit: oh, but I have written/am writing my own javascript parser/interpreter/"compiler"/runtime, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    I did this about.. rrr.. 12 - 15 years ago?? A long time ago. Basically back before smartphones but at the advent of mobile phones with proprietary browsers. The project was to develop a platform independent browser and server side XML (basically proprietary CSS before CSS was a thing) that could transform HTML/JS written for PC's into something usable on the phones and small devices of the day. I only remember at the time trying to explain just how impractical the project was while simultaneously working on it. I did some contributions to the Mozilla project at the time, since I was knee deep in the tech. The project made a few bucks for a short time before device advancements made the technology obsolete. The CEO got rich before pulling the plug, anyway. Bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INFP
    Seriously, they named their new browser for this guy?

Ungh... I guess Cotrana wasn't enough in some lame marketer's attempt to recapture the dudebro.