Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Snobs: What makes or breaks a song in your eyes?

Type
    XXXX

Question Music Snobs: What makes or breaks a song in your eyes?

What music cliches do you like/dislike? Kindly give examples of things you like/hate.

Type
    XXXX
    Hate: Songs that are essentially repetition of the chorus:

Love: songs that don't bring all instruments at once, make you wait for a boner inducing payoff:

Type
    INTP
    I hate any dance music that's engineered around the drop. It's manipulative and boring.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Break: Vocalists who can't sing. Especially men who sound like little girls.

Make:
    vocalists who can sing.

Bonus points for awesome instrumental skills (seriously, shouldn't that be a prerequisite for being a musician?).

Type
    xNxx
    I'm mostly a sucker for a good mix, however that happens. There's a lot of 80s stuff on Scaruffi/Christgau's lists that I can't enjoy because of how bandpassed it is even though it's mixed really "clean".

this comes to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz1V...q&spfreload=10

And it pisses me off because the 70s were such a great mixing era, mostly. it's almost like people didn't learn how to mix the 80s until the 00s.

I even prefer all the current stupid affectations of too much noise and fake plate verbs. This sounds great to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FrE...4&spfreload=10

I pretty much listen to this exclusively for the mix, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzMr...g&spfreload=10

CUPS WIT THA ICE AND WE DO THIS EVERY NIGHT

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-OR...g&spfreload=10

bonercore. they made her voice sound so fucking good. that mix is perfection- the way the reverb on her voice backmasks the sub+ guitar that sneaks in on the second half of the chorus, wow.

Type
    INTP
    I love everything from tango to Britney Spears, so I basically have no taste.

I hate music that's for adults but sounds like it was made for 6 year-olds. Like you can sort of imagine how the tune is actually a kids' song, but some genius thought they should add a twist and make it for all audiences. Almost anything by the Beatles would fit that category. Also Frank Sinatra. Probably the same reason I hate "She" with a passion. It sounds like it might be in a Disney song but not quite because it's even too lame for that. I want to punch him in the face when he starts saying "Sheeeeeeeee" arrrghhh!

I hate anything that sounds like a taxi driver took a mic and started singing about life and love. I can't think of any singers in English so I'll skip that for now. I hate singer-songwriters that don't make their music internally coherent because they think the lyrics are so brilliant they don't have to bother. I hate the kind of reggaeton where guys with high-pitched voices sing exclusively about women leaving them. If you're going to sing about that shit all the time at least get a deep voice.

I fucking love corny shit with no self-awareness of the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I love everything from tango to Britney Spears, so I basically have no taste.

I hate (...) [a]lmost anything by the Beatles (..). Also Frank Sinatra.
    q.e.d.

Even though that particular Elvis Costello number sucks indeed.

Type
    INTJ
    I've actually thought my own dad's choices in this topic to be interesting (in a Spock-like vernacular) because they seem quote polarized. He seems to be highly offended by a note being held onto for too long.
    His least favorite song is probably "Lovely day" by Bill Withers - this song actually strongly annoys him.
    His favorite song is most likely Vincent by Don McLean.

As for me, a quick example of "Break" tracks include too much repetition or annoying jingle type "jigs" that get stuck in your head: Black Betty, Cotton eye Joe, the theme to Eastenders (UK TV soap), whole lotta love by Led Zeppelin, Dry your eyes by the streets (please do not rap with a Brummie accent, just don't)

"Make" tracks for me, largely include strong melodies, trance-like synth and chord changes that will take me back to a time and place: Sweet sensation (even though it has a lot of repetition and potentially annoying samples, it launches me into space travel about 2 minutes in) - West end girls by the Pet shop boys (Just one of those time and a place tracks - 1986, starting high school) - Baker street (another time/place)

edit: just to add, I'm not a subscriber to "Love" and "Hate" dichotomies, so I lifted Sapphos make and break

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I'm struggling to come up with a word that accurately describes my music tastes. I would describe my likes as narrative and/or pattern based. I like to listen to the music that matches my mood. I also believe I like music as an artistic/emotional medium. Lets see how emo i can get...i love music that is like a meditation on a theme. These two are some of my favourites:

But patterns/narratives makes it sound far too simple, as though I'm purely a fan of ABABAB patterns, or ABABCBC like "call me maybe" (which is catchy, and i admit i enjoy it but we shouldn't pretend its anything more than it is) posted by someone up there. Honestly though, I think i understand a lot of the dislike for the beatles. I'm not saying I dislike all of their music, but I admit that a lot of it comes off a bit childishly simple to me, and i also appreciate some people might say that about my own tastes. In fact a lot of modern pop music is, frankly, rather distasteful to me in its 2 dimensional simplicity. And that is not to say I don't like simplicity. Hans Zimmer's piece from inception is, intellectually about as simple as you can get, but I like it:

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I appreciate lyricism for those pieces with lyrics, after all, music is a medium that lets you combine the aural qualities of both melody and harmony, and the same qualities of tone, timing, and writing: