Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blowing off the GRE

Type
    INTP

Blowing off the GRE

Mostly because I signed up for it when I thought I would probably go to grad school, but instead I decided to go back for another Bachelor's and learn a trade, and I'm not sure if the score will even be useful by the time I do decide to go to grad school.

Also, I just don't feel like studying. I know I'll do well if I don't study, but I could knock it out of the park if I do.

Blah.

How do you solve those things that are like "One faucet can fill a bathtub in 12 hours, and the second faucet fills the same bathtub in 4 hours. How fast does the bathtub fill if both faucets are on?"

Also I should mock up some essay outlines.

I have less than an hour until the baby wakes up from his nap. To study or to surf the web..?

Type
    INTP
    You could say that the capacity of the tub is x gallons. So the first faucet fills at x/12 gallons per hour and the second at x/4. X/12 +x/4 = x/3

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    What were you going to do a masters in?

I am vaguely thinking about applying for PhDs in the States - on the basis that funding for Computer Science and PhD studentships generally seem a lot better - not this year but the next so I suppose I should take some interest in this.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

A Transient Configuration Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    The scores last 5 years. I'm studying for it now but it is boring and makes me sleepy within minutes of looking at it no matter how much sleep and coffee i apply. My training challenge is to teach myself to concentrate on something boring for 3.5 hours, so my main strategy is forcing myself to do nothing but gre practice questions for 3 uninterrupted hours 2x per week.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

This SEP field is glorious!

Type
    eNTP
    I too am planning on a GRE trip this year. I'm still planning on working the machining angle, but I'm planning on spending this year putting together an admission packet to try for a MFA in creative writing.

Let's not discuss the marketability of that degree, lets just acknowledge that if I had one, I'd probably be employed, despite the stereotype--it's easier to convince HR people you can write if you have a degree in writing than a degree in applied maths.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    I'm convinced that the GRE doesn't exist to be a gauge of your mental capacity so much as a gauge of your willingness to put in hours and hours of work doing something horribly tedious on a consistent basis. If you're either 1) brilliant enough that you only need to go over the stuff once or twice or 2) determined enough that you can study something you loathe for 2 hours a day every day for however many months that takes, and then have it all accumulate in a good score, congratulations, you have what it takes to go to grad school. If it drives you crazy, maybe consider a different path in life. Because you're probably going to have to spend a lot more than 4-6 hours a week doing things you find boring and repetitive if you want to go into academia.

Type
    INTP
    The little J on my shoulder shut off my laptop right after the OP, so I at least got a few practice questions in.

Thanks, p_p. The units always mess me up on those rate problems, but I figured out that if you make rate * time = (whatever the hell you're trying to do (fill a bathtub, make widgets, whatever)) and combine the rates as needed, it works.

2 hours a day for months...??? That is wayyy too much studying. If I put in 40 hours of studying total, I'm sure I'd do great. This is gonna be more like... 2. But I did take both the GMAT and the TEAS within the past two years, so I'm not totally unprepared.

My plan is to do an accelerated nursing program, which will get me my BSN in just over a year starting in the fall. I then plan to work as a regular nurse (maybe ER) for at least a year or two before going for my master's/doctorate/whatever they're peddling by then. You can go straight through but I think that I'll benefit from the added hands on experience.

I know that nursing is a very unINTPish profession, but a) employment, b) I hate staring at a computer screen all day, and c) it should work out that I have a constantly evolving career... and it will look like it's on purpose instead of me just being a flake. I'm excited about that.

All I know about getting a PhD is that you have to specialize like crazy. Pro: PhDs often get paid... in peanuts. But I guess it's better than nothing. An MFA just sounds like a tar pit for trust fund kids, but that's just my gut reaction.

Type
    INTP
    A PHD in nursing? Is this so you can actually lecture on the subject?
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    A PHD in nursing? Is this so you can actually lecture on the subject?
    Yes. That's actually my fantasy for, say, twenty years from now.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Yes. That's actually my fantasy for, say, twenty years from now.
    <off-topic>
    From your forum persona I can't say I would automatically peg you as a nursing type. Medievalist, maybe - though now I think about it medieval history, or history generally isn't particularly strong in the US universities compared to here. Perhaps because it isn't connected to the national identity. One of the modules I did at uni - actually probably my favourite one - was an interdisciplinary history/archaeology class on the development of English national identity in the Anglo-Saxon period (i.e. that vague borderland between Late Antiquity and Early Medieval) - which was striking in terms of how historically contingent and politically motivated the whole concept of England was (in response to the Viking invasions and Alfred's land grabs) - and how the construction of the myth of a population transfer by supposed Anglo-Saxons was also taken seriously by historians for such a long time also.
    </off-topic>