Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Rule

Type
    eNTP

Social Rule

This thread is inspired in part by the ongoing conversation about checkout queues and spot saving practices. It's also inspired by an event that happened to me recently.

I was getting ready to sit down at a table in a waiting room, and the guy already sitting there informed me that his friend was already sitting there, and had just left for a moment. The marvelous thing about this is, that was sufficient for me to decide to sit elsewhere, even though there is absolutely no rule of law that says I must. Even though I don't give a fuck what either of those two thought of me. There's no real rule about this sort of thing, it's just a common courtesy issue that reeks of potential exploitation.

The question is:

What sorts of customs do you know of that you (and others) observe as if failure to observe them was illegal? Things that you know the cost would just be apoplectic harassment, but ultimately, no real repercussions could be legally brought to bear.

They're interesting because they operate on more or less the same level as law, without the same enforcement potential.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INTP
    There's no law against saying the word "potato" loudly over and over for the entire duration of any time I spend in public, but I choose not to in order to be courteous to those around me.

Type
    INFP
    Asking people in any waiting room why they are there, with the exception of places where objects are fixed.

Impeding someone in a wheelchair. Touching someone's chair without express permission, even as an accident.
    Oh fuck it, Its the 90's.

Type
    INFP
    I would often like to give a shotgun handkerchief to anyone over the age of 20 who consciously fails to cover their mouth when coughing or sneezing in a public space.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    1. Not saying "bless you" or some other meaningless ritual for each consecutive sneeze if someone sneezes more than twice. Nothing is more obnoxious than putting up with this during allergy season. Nothing is worse than spending a pollen-ridden May day, and having to respond with "thank you" seven times, as though some kind of avant-garde music composition was being performed.

As a matter of fact, "bless you" is a stupid custom, and I never say it. It does nothing whatsoever for the person it is being "thoughtful" towards, and is sometimes, in fact, not a blessing at all, but a burden. Occasionally, I'll say "gesundheit" because it happens to amuse, but I think that anyone who believes saying such a thing is mandatory is foolish, and I suppose I don't care much if I earn their disfavor.

2. Putting your purse, bags or feet on the seat next to you on public transportation if it is crowded, ESPECIALLY if there are no other seats left. I always walk up to these people (if they happen to be awake), and ask if I can sit there. It always works, but frankly, someone shouldn't have to do that. I agree with the posters they just put up that instruct passengers: "Unless your bag paid, move it."

Obviously, if the vehicle is mostly empty, I have no problem which such a thing.

Last edited by msg_v2; 01-07-2015 at 11:14 PM.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    It's odd to attribute it to men, as though it was something only they did. I don't have statistics on breakdown by gender, but I assure you, it is hardly unusual to see a woman doing this.

Also, it looks like some of those people just have long legs and would be taking up too much space regardless of where they put them.

This guy, for instance, looks almost like he's trying to not take up too much space. His feet do not take up much of the aisle. I'm not sure what that is to the right, but it does not appear to be a doorway, so it isn't as though he is blocking the door. Nor does the train seem especially crowded, as they can take an unobstructed picture. It does appear that there is more space just off frame
    V

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    This guy
    Is this a picture of you? Be honest.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Is this a picture of you? Be honest.
    I'm not that tall, I don't wear glasses, and my hair is dark blonde rather than black.

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    ]Putting your purse, bags or feet on the seat next to you on public transportation if it is crowded, ESPECIALLY if there are no other seats left. I always walk up to these people (if they happen to be awake), and ask if I can sit there. It always works, but frankly, someone shouldn't have to do that. I agree with the posters they just put up that instruct passengers: "Unless your bag paid, move it."

Obviously, if the vehicle is mostly empty, I have no problem which such a thing.
    Exactly. Similarly you shouldn't sit on the aisle seat of a 2 seat bench and be an obstacle to accessing the empty window seat when there are few to no other seat options for people entering the bus or train. An exception is if you're getting off at the next stop or 2. Then you can get up and invite somebody in search of a seat to take the window seat. I did that last night. Though the invitation was without words exchanged, rather eye contact and the implicit invitation of me getting out of the way.

A rule I observe and wish others would observe is to leave others space. This morning I got on an uncrowded bus but I was unnecessarily crowded by another human. In fact the bus was so uncrowded that there were seats available. But at most my stop was 3 stops away if the bus actually stopped at all the stops. So I stood by the back doors. Some other guy boarding behind me came and stood inches from me. Why!? We were the only 2 guys standing on the entire bus. I understand he probably wanted to make a quick exit at the train station (part of my calculation too) but come on don't unnecessarily crowd!