Thread: Lesser know programming languages that pay

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Lesser know programming languages that pay

This popped up in slashdot today. I must say I've only really used MATLAB\OCTAVE of this although a former colleague of mine works for salesforce and has raved about APEX though I've never used it. Anyone have experience in these? It seems they are for the most part domain specific languages, which kind of reduces the mystery about why they pay well.

I'm not sure I care too much for the idea of App Inventor - my experience with GUI programming hasn't been great - although maybe the horror that was Bosch's Visual Rules has unfairly biased me. I still kind of associate it with Scratch in my head.

Of them all Opa sounds the most interesting. The world is overflowing with languages that compile to JS these days - but this does seem to offer the potential to create genuinely server/client side JS programs relatively simply. I'll be interested to see if it takes off.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    I gave App Inventer a try several years ago and couldn't get my head wrapped around it.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I have to contest MATLAB being described as "lesser known". At my school literally every engineering major must learn it, and from what I gather it's widely used in industry and has been for a while.

That gui-based IDE looks absolutely horrible to work with too. I'm trying to imagine who it would be good for, but I can't think of why you would want to spend all that time fucking around with a gui to write a program when you could just... learn a programming language.

I think this article from the same site did a better job with pretty much the same subject. Oh, and it's the same author too. Weird.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Haskell is something I've been meaning to learn a lot. Functional languages are starting to get pretty big in industry.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein