Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Je suis charlie

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    ^ This upsets me more than anything else.

Humor is my religion. This is like attacking a church.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post

Me too. I especially like satirical cartoons lampooning sacred cows (like religion). Unfortunately, nut bar Islamists are a cunning group. This may spell the end of any more cartoons targeted at them.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Me too. I especially like satirical cartoons lampooning sacred cows (like religion). Unfortunately, nut bar Islamists are a cunning group. This may spell the end of any more cartoons targeted at them.
    It's not as though there is any shortage of potential targets to hamper free speech, so fuck that. Expect random attacks every few years if we fail to profile radicals (let alone deny entry) in Western countries.

This comes immediately following an anti-immigration march in Germany. I expect tensions will be high in Europe for some time.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    ‘More will follow': ISIS fighter praises Paris massacre

Tragically, it should seem that American journalists have a better grasp of what's going on than most European governments:
    Terror in Paris shows the limits of appeasement

Type
    Xxxx

Je suis charlie

This sucks. I'm sad, upset and disgusted.

There has been posts in the "articles that don't deserve their own thread" thread but it does, so there.
    Post updates on the terrorist hunt here.

And i have a question, do you support charlie hebdo's publication of the prophet cartoons? Or does that make them the useful idiots of radical islamism and marine lepen's right?

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Animals View Post
    There has been posts in the "articles that don't deserve their own thread" thread but it does, so there.
    I think a mod should probably move them here.

Difficile est satiram non scribere.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    PLEASE STOP making posts in this thread that DO deserve their own thread. And sorry to single you out but it was you this time. :P

Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post

Stephane Charbonnier was a fucking shithead. That's my political analysis. I could take a picture of the prophet and publish it in the crummy periodical of some forgotten town of the Argentine interior, and these fanatics would put a target on my head too, all the way from the other side of the fucking planet. It's that easy. You're not doing anything original or combative in insulting their deity and their religion, just joining the gang of imperialist propagandists that have been singling out Islam for the last 13 years.

"Hey, we insult Christians and Jews and atheists(?) too." Who the fuck cares what else they insult? The people being insulted by this don't care how egalitarian they are in their insults. That's not their logic or concern; only an outrageously self-centered prick could even use that as an argument. And FWIW, for those who think it means anything, it's not even true. Not when you consider the geopolitical circumstances and ideological crusades that have so far defined the century. You have to be politically tone-deaf to the extreme to pretend that doesn't make a differrence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Animals View Post
    Post updates on the terrorist hunt here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    I think a mod should probably move them here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    PLEASE STOP making posts in this thread that DO deserve their own thread.
    I moved the posts that seemed related in a quick survey, for I agree it is a topic that merits its own thread.

Carry on.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Stephane Charbonnier was a fucking shithead. That's my political analysis. I could take a picture of the prophet and publish it in the crummy periodical of some forgotten town of the Argentine interior, and these fanatics would put a target on my head too, all the way from the other side of the fucking planet. It's that easy. You're not doing anything original or combative in insulting their deity and their religion, just joining the gang of imperialist propagandists that have been singling out Islam for the last 13 years.
    Believe in God and other magical entities IS inherently funny and deserving of all the ridicule that can be given as far as I am concerned. Religious belief and its delusions has done more to enslave peoples' lives, make them prey to exploitation and indeed keep those same empires afloat that just about anything else in the world.

People don't seem to have any issues with satirising political ideologies. And these at least are attempts to analyse the real world. What gives religious beliefs any right to respect?
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein