Thread: Requiem of the Disbanded

Type
    INTP

Requiem of the Disbanded

This thread is for disbanded acts or otherwise no longer performing bands. Maybe they just fell apart, maybe someone died, or -- heck -- maybe they should have disbanded but haven't ... lingering on uselessly if not shamefully. Acts whose members are all dead shouldn't count, heh.

Disbanded: Born in Winter
    http://borninwinter.webs.com/

Unfortunately I can only find live performances videos which don't do the band justice. Anyhow, first they lose their lead singer (who was awesome), then they limped on with a new one, and finally they disbanded.
    Sad, I really liked their sound, even after the frontwoman switch -- and that I sorely missed the original.

Spoiler: Original Frontwoman

Spoiler: Same Song, Second Frontwoman

Should Disband: Evanescence

Do I really need to explain why?

Type
    INTP
    Every time I hear a Sublime song on the radio, I shed a single internal nostalgia-induced tear, simply because of all the memories I had listening to their music. I heard also that they've decided to go back on tour under the same name with a new lead singer, which I can't really say I agree with.

However, I kinda wish I lived in some alternate reality in which it was possible for the original Smashing Pumpkins to come back together, if nothing else to salvage the reputation of Billy Corgan -- Even though it would be nothing but pure internal chaos for them to ever reunite, I do prefer the slightly pretentious, arrogant, but still creative genius Corgan as opposed to the washed up, ornery grouch Corgan.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Dude, these guys did a one-off reunion tour a couple of years ago and I wasn't able to go see them because of my ex's stupid crazy bullshit. I was extremely... disappointed. I think they were already broken up by the time I heard of them, so seeing them live was a big unrequited fantasy dream for years, and I had to miss my one chance.

Fuck. For my money, one of the best hardcore bands to ever pick up instruments. They were my go-to recommendation for people who didn't "get" hardcore but were curious about the appeal of the genre.

Damn. Now I'm feeling all wistful and shit. This was some kick-ass fucking music.

"Rather be forgotten, than remembered for giving in."

\m/

Type
    INTP
    Not sure if this a disbanding exactly, but to my dismay I just learned about Alissa White-Gluz's departure from The Agonist. I guess she's going to join Arch Enemy, in replacement of outgoing Angela Gossow.

I'm pretty disappointed by this development.... a big part of what I liked about The Agonist was how Alissa could do both clean and growled vocals so very well, and how her mix-up between the two styles suited the overall dissonant, heavy style of the band. The contrast in the resulting gestalt sound... so fucking pitch perfect I wish I could begin to describe what my synesthesia does with the sound.

Anyhow..

Spoiler: Example

This one starts out pretty growl-heavy, but taken as a whole it demonstrates what I mean by the perfect mixture of clean and growled vocals, together with the overall sound. I can't tell you how many times I've probably nearly blown out my speakers to this particular track, haha.

... and what's more, she's not just a studio creation.... this is the actual live performance whose video was used over the above studio recording...

Get over the shitty sound quality, and see for yourself:

What bothers me is that Arch Enemy has been all-growl vocals. I'm wagering that they'll just have Alissa do growls, which would be such a disappointing waste. (That, and I don't like all-growled vocals as a style, regardless of how good the instrumentals are...)

What bothers me is that even if Alissa does take her clean/growl mix style over to Arch Enemy, it just won't ... fit. Arch Enemy's sound (at least as it has been up to now) doesn't suit her style as much as The Agonist's does.

What bothers me is that, regardless, I really like The Agonist's sound apart from Alissa, but without her ... it just won't be the same. Together, they were much more than the sum of their parts... now gone.

Type
    INTP
    Sister Sin just announced they are no more as of today. This comes as a very unpleasant surprise.

It stings for me because this was the band that truly catalyzed my re-awakening into heavy metal music back when, and so had remained a "special" band to me. I'll never forget the first time I heard Sister Sin. It was exactly what I needed to hear at that moment, for reasons I could neither have predicted or explained at the time. I can remember everything about that moment. The sun, the smell in the air, everything. Blah.

Form me, it all started with this:

I guess it will end with this: