Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodreads

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx

Goodreads

who's on goodreads?

let's share our links and keep track of what we're reading! mine's in my sig.

(i'm gonna read more instead of hang out on forums while i've got classes cuz i'm a Good Student now.)

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I am.

Oh and I fully agree that reading more is a Good Thing, you learn infinitely more from that than the echo chambers online. The thing you might find difficult at times is that the internet is addictive primarily because everything is so quick and rapid. Your brain is sort of wired up to want that kind of stimulus. A good book is a much more long term, patient pleasure in the manner of drinking a glass of wine. It is hard to transition to it.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    I am.

Oh and I fully agree that reading more is a Good Thing, you learn infinitely more from that than the echo chambers online. The thing you might find difficult at times is that the internet is addictive primarily because everything is so quick and rapid. Your brain is sort of wired up to want that kind of stimulus. A good book is a much more long term, patient pleasure in the manner of drinking a glass of wine. It is hard to transition to it.
    for sure. it's hard to transition to reading again and ignore the internet. even sometimes when i'm reading i'll have this urge to stop in the middle, thinking "i have to tell someone about this!!!" it's not totally unhealthy, but it is instant gratification mentality that the internet and social media is constantly reinforcing and it doesn't help when one is looking for a form of long-term escapism and/or learning. (loneliness and lack of stimulation while reading? i would've found that concept bizarre in my teens.)

it's weird, but i see goodreads as a sort of compromise there.

it takes a lot of time (and it's easy to underestimate this amount) to really get through a good-sized book, too.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    it takes a lot of time (and it's easy to underestimate this amount) to really get through a good-sized book, too.
    Yeah. Once you start reading regularly though your speed does go up even if you don't try speed reading techniques, primarily because you get better at filtering through the relevant information. It's very much a skill that grows or atrophies with practice, reading well.

For me setting a regular routine of reading in various 'off-times' like waiting for the laundry to dry or when travelling by public transport helps because it gives you a hook to start reading a book, and then if you like the book enough you start finding snatches of time elsewhere to get it done.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INFP
    (in signature.)

I stopped using it as much but I still love it. Bookhunting is so fun.

I also struggle to focus on books. I actually built up my endurance manually by setting a timer for 30 minutes, an hour, etc, to break out of the instant gratification cycle.

Type
    xxxx
    yep, i read in bed cuz i have the perfect reading setup there, with a lamp clipped onto the headboard and books on my nighttable. procrastination time is reading time now (and sometimes it can last... quite a while). i also always have a book with me when i go out to fill the down-time.

Type
    INTP
    Me!

Excuse my profile though. I didn't touch it for about four years and have only just decided to update it again recently.

Type
    intp
    Mine's in my sig.

To add to the discourse on book reading- I recently read a book that had a fair bit of redundancy in the core arguments. It bothered me a bit, but I came to appreciate it in a way that I wouldn't tolerate in an internet-reading environment. The redundancy and re-stating in different contexts was very helpful in building a stronger understanding, which I often lack from more concise statements.
    I wanna see your goodreads, so add me.

Type
    Xxxx
    https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4487816-yhwh

"I wanna see your goodreads, so add me"

Type
    xxxx
    tiny rant: people who rate books (poorly), that they can't finish.

trust me, i get it in most cases... but dude.