Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Documentary ideas

Type
    INTP

Documentary ideas

Me and a friend of mine would like to start producing short documentaries during our free time ( we both have fulltime jobs and other staff to do).
    I have worked in the past as tv reporter and my friend has experience with the camera.
    We want to do this as a hobby mainly to feel more creative and share our work on youtube or something similar.
    We have the video camera, microphones, tripoid, voice recording machine, editing software.
    We are thinking 5-10 minutes short docs.
    So shoot us with ideas.
    Its been a very long time since i did any journalistic work so please consider me a novice.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    People who quit their day jobs to pursue their dream, highlighting their daily struggles and perhaps also presenting one who "made it". Seems to be a topic many people would be curious about.

Type
    INTP
    excellent idea!thanks.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    The Secret Life of... : Let basement dwellers and other assorted losers tell you what excites them.

County Lock-up: Interview detainees and cops.

Public Opinion: On a busy street corner, ask random people questions like "Are you Charlie?" or just ask them what their opinion is without specifying the topic.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    Job Search: Document an unemployed or unemployed guy or gal (preferably both), as they apply for jobs and go for interviews. Make sure to interview them at various points to catch up on how their despair is developing.

The Interviews: Document employers as they interview endless streams of job searchers. Make sure to interview them periodically to catch up on how their cynicism, general mistrust of humanity, and/or superiority complex is developing.

This dog and her owner: http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/01/1...alone-dog-park What does she do alone at the dog park?

Techie or Not: Find the interstitial situations where the non-tech educated interact with tech workers, document their interactions, interview the non-techies about how they think the technology in question works as well as what they think of the tech workers, interview the tech-workers about how much they hate and make fun of the non-tech workers behind their backs. Obvious examples where this might take place: Freelance web/software developers working for small businesses, IT guys/gals in just about any kind of workplace, so on and so forth.

OkStupid: Document guys/gals as they venture forth into online dating via any means - OkCupid, Tinder, eHarmony, Craigslist, whatever. It would be especially interesting if you found someone who regularly meets up with people from Craigslist.

Meh, I'm out. For now.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    A day in the life of an ISS astronaut.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INFP
    Local history (But really dig into the less public facing facts if there are any fun ones to investigate.) I once spent a week just researching what Native American peoples who formerly lived in my area and discovered a local forest preserve was once a tribal staging ground. Even though my town has a historical society, nothing immediately public exists about it before the first settlers and quickly moves from there to the 20th Century.

Type
    INTP
    Perhaps related to ideas posted above... Pick a landmark -- either popular or fairly unknown -- and do something on its history, cultural significance, how/why it has changed, as such. Bonus: focus on something either unknown or commonly misunderstood about it.

Interviews on elementary and yet often confused/mistaken subjects, contrasted with an easily digested "actually,..." didactic of the material. For instance, ask people to explain their understanding of, say, gravity, time, (heck: light, relativity), etc. Or asking people to list and indicate the general location of their major internal organs -- and as a bonus, what they do. The idea is to be amusing and yet informative. Any subject that could be interviewed about and presented, as such.

Type
    xxxx
    choose a focus that not everybody has access to, that you have access to. something local and relatively hidden/unknown.

(i just read a book on this subject and) i'd be interested to watch a documentary about sweatshops/subcontracting companies in the US for whom labor violations constitute business as usual, that hire predominantly immigrant workers. it's a pretty dark reality. i'm appalled but not surprised to hear about some of the details, since this shit happens around where i live.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    choose a focus that not everybody has access to, that you have access to. something local and relatively hidden/unknown.
    Yeah. I think doing 'day in the life' style documentaries caters for this as it gives a good sense of what is interestingly different from most people's experiences juxtapositioned with the mundaneness of the subject without it becoming a kind of exhibition or seeming false and stylised and therefore more a kind of fiction.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein