Thread: American Remakes of British Shows

Type
    INTP

American Remakes of British Shows

For the most part, I generally prefer the originals - for example, The Office and Broadchurch (the US version is Gracepoint). A notable exception being Shameless - I simply can't stomach the UK version, while I have been thoroughly enjoying the US remake.

Watching both versions of a show does seem to point to interesting cultural differences - for example, because I've been living in the States for just over 15 years now, I actually became anxious when the British detectives in Broadchurch were chasing after a person of interest without guns. Obviously the US version had them immediately drawing their weapons.

I haven't watched the UK version of House of Cards yet.

Any others worth paying attention to?

Type
    INTJ
    I remember there was a US remake of 'coupling' which I found funny as a teen (mostly for the socially awkward Welsh character) - the US version was really bad. All of the characters were kinda too attractive and plastic looking and the comedy was just lost, mostly because they copied most of the script verbatim. I think the Brits are very good at awkward humor (like David in the office and most of the show itself)

Coupling seems to have been remade into multiple versions:

original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hstPHM3R1dY

US version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...zLX5m0BI#t=571

Russian? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9DHX24IkcU

edit: probably a bad example - the US one seemed kinda funny to me this time around - what's happening to me!?
    Last edited by Limes; 01-15-2015 at 07:42 AM.

Type
    INTP
    I don't know why the US version of Top Gear bothers. I think they don't understand that the greatest part of Top Gear's attraction to Americans is not that it's about cars but that it's British. Americans dig British shit in general.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    I don't know why the US version of Top Gear bothers. I think they don't understand that the greatest part of Top Gear's attraction to Americans is not that it's about cars but that it's British. Americans dig British shit in general.
    I tried watching that and just didn't really like any of the hosts. The formula is lost. You need the fat middle weight right wing curmudgeon (how will they find one of those stateside?) the middle aged former hippie and the young short arse. They should probably find a young Japanese car enthusiast, a right-wing Detroit muscle meathead and a California hybrid hippie. <shrug>

Type
    INTP
    Yeah, in general I don't like American remakes. The Office is an exception. I like the British one better but the American one is sufficiently different that it stands in its own right.

I went through a How to Look Good Naked phase and I really loved the British show. The American version, in contrast, was a lot shallower, more focused on very superficial cosmetic changes as opposed to dealing with people's underlying issues and self esteem.

Type
    INTJ
    I just looked at a list on wikipedia, it's longer than I thought it might be.

Some quick observations:

I like the US version of Antiques Roadshow, good conversion, but I would like to see more people who are clearly pretending not to be disappointed when they find their bed pan isn't worth pish.
    Airline - enjoyed seeing airport operations, lioke ih' a loh' - especially MIA, which is like a mini city within the city.
    Being Human - American version was clearly better
    Cash Cab - Have not even seen the UK version, but I'm a big fan of the US version - I'm a Ben Bailey fan.
    The inbetweeners - US version su-huh-uuuucked
    Little Britain USA - Go home wit dat shit
    Kitchen Nightmares - Gordon Ramsay is the shit - he once told a bunch of dudes harrasing my [female] cousin in London to Fuck off under threat of violence, big ups to my homeslice. Also, I have a harder time eating out now, so thanks for that.
    Shameless - disliked both versions
    All in the Family (a remake of "till death do us part") - meh, they're both good.
    Wife Swap - where is your god now