Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INTP Hypocrisy

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP

INTP Hypocrisy

As we all know, INTPs are naturally keen on observing and criticizing the world around them, and they're generally right about things. However, this only seems to apply to externalities, i.e. INTPs are much less likely to be able to accurately describe themselves, their own behavior, and how both compare and relate to others.

I believe this makes the INTP particularly susceptible to hypocrisy as well as unintentional (if not deliberate abuse of) pretext. This is probably most obvious when it comes to romantic relationships where emotions can be particularly charged.

What do you think?

Type
    INTP
    I often make it a point to criticize actions in general that I'm currently/recently finished/planning on doing.

Hypocrisy is one of those things human's do that irks me to the point where I often like to air my grievances via humor.

Regarding your point: I think the INTP's inability to see himself (speaking from personal experience) is more a consequence of the fact that he refuses to label himself. It's not that we don't notice what we're doing, it's that we don't identify our actions as being "us". Thus, we may contradict someone's conception of who we are... but we never saw it that way to begin with.

I think we take care to couch our statements properly so that we can get away with doing lots of things without actually contradicting our stated positions. When asked what moral code I follow, I prefer to tell people i don't follow one. You know immoral things when you see them... there's no need for a code.

When emotions run high, I've done some things that I wouldn't recommend other people to do, that's true... But it's not like I feel the need to justify it after the fact. Revenge is its own reason.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

BeyondUrLatestAdCampaigns ciphersort's Avatar
    Type
    iNtp
    @P-O
    That was all... awesome

I think this thread is done.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    I believe this makes the INTP particularly susceptible to hypocrisy as well as unintentional (if not deliberate abuse of) pretext. This is probably most obvious when it comes to romantic relationships where emotions can be particularly charged.
    Do you have any specific examples? Because theoretically what could or could not be hypocrisy is very much dependent upon the circumstances.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Hypocrisy in romantic relationships? What planet are you from...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by P-O View Post
    It's not that we don't notice what we're doing, it's that we don't identify our actions as being "us". Thus, we may contradict someone's conception of who we are... but we never saw it that way to begin with.
    I'm not going to give examples. I'll just say that the INTP flavor of hypocrisy is more clear, obvious, seemingly blatant but at the same time the person is also clearly unaware. A caricatured example:

INTP: *picks up a biscuit* You know I really hate it when you eat biscuits. *starts eating biscuit* You really need to stop eating biscuits. *munch munch* Why are you always eating biscuits?

if (otherPerson.type == xxxJ) {

Other person: Well, now that he/she mentions it, I do eat a lot of biscuits, but I find something about this situation highly unsettling and eventually I'll spontaneously figure it out and act out.

} else {

Other person: You're eating biscuits!

}

Type
    INFP
    This article should be transferred to the wiki and or have it's own stickied thread.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    I feel like I'm always aware of potential contradictions at some level, even if I don't vocalize them. I try to reconcile them as best as I can. I'm trying to decide whether this stuff applies to me or not; I think that it doesn't, but what if it does and I just didn't notice? It kind of bothers me when people have a set of firm convictions, well established, that contradict each other, and they don't even seem to notice. I'd like to think I'm not guilty of it.

Quote Originally Posted by PO
    I think we take care to couch our statements properly so that we can get away with doing lots of things without actually contradicting our stated positions.
    I think I do a lot of this. I tend to view it more as applying the same standard to myself that I would apply to others, rather than getting away with something, though.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    This article should be transferred to the wiki and or have it's own stickied thread.
    Well yes, the inability of the intp to see the subjective/historical basis for their own opinions/statements/feelings would have to be right up there. Not that i'm convinced other types/people CAN do that, they can't and are just as commonly hypocrites/insufferable as a result, but the intp feels a need to reconcile things with a general base logic, and is therefore more likely to frame their own actions and beliefs in a "folk-logic" of reasonableness/rationality.

I hate to give any concrete examples, because such things lie almost at a sort of insecure heart of most INT's that necessitate an almost reflexive emotional negative response, and I like getting along with people on this board. Ayn Rand's entire work is, i believe, and orgiastic example of this phenomenon for instance.

And if you do want to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, you can trap a large number of intps by trying to get them to state the logical/reasonable basis behind their feelings on art, photography, literature, fashion, merit, music, technology, politics, culture, personal habbits, etc.

All those things that don't have any logical basis because they do not have an inherently binary, ordinal, or otherwise "obvious" classification or commonly self-referential basis. Frame it with hows and whys to try suck them into using their logical mindset to discuss/frame/anchor the topic, rather than feelings and impressions and other "wishy-washy" language. Then just sit back and start collecting the bullshit...

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    ^ This sounds like reverse-snobbery.

What I know for a fact is that it's fun, and I don't care if it isn't what normal people do. Being verbally expressive is awesome.

Otherwise we get vapid conversations like:

"I like mittens."

I prefer "I find mittens vastly superior to gloves because the reduced surface area allows for greater heat retention."

As for history, I think some people can be aware of the history, and still hold a certain position. Knowing what shapes one's opinions is not always going to change someone's opinions. I may bring a particular perspective to the table, but knowing how a certain perspective has influenced my opinion can sometimes strengthen my resolve. Some things really are non-negotiable, especially if no one has presented a compelling counter-argument.

I don't think INTP's like to believe things "just because." Perhaps some people think it is rude and insensitive, but I think it's a great strength.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 01-18-2015 at 03:46 AM. Reason: removed derail