Page 818 of 818 FirstFirst ... 318718768808816817818
Results 8,171 to 8,178 of 8178

Thread: Little rants that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic
    Stress reallocation results, to a point, in a body that need not experience stress in the recurring situation that caused it stress...I think it is important to periodically push yourself out of your comfort zone so that your homeostatic condition isn't one that renders you too fragile...
    I'm not sure cold works like that when you're an adult. Children who experience cold sometimes have high cold tolerance as adults but the only benefit I have good recollection of for adults is that you lose weight, which has to be weighed against increased chance of getting sick (which was discovered several years ago). If you think you're becoming mentally tougher from being cold, I hope that brings you happiness but I don't think it's helping the way you think.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I'm not sure cold works like that when you're an adult. Children who experience cold sometimes have high cold tolerance as adults but the only benefit I have good recollection of for adults is that you lose weight, which has to be weighed against increased chance of getting sick (which was discovered several years ago). If you think you're becoming mentally tougher from being cold, I hope that brings you happiness but I don't think it's helping the way you think.

Shivering is a terrible weight loss strategy. If you want to use the inefficient transfer of chemical energy into mechanical energy to stay warm, there are more efficient ways to go about it than shivering. Like how about a workout.

What it works like: sureness levels ... well I'm never 100 percent sure about anything I say. But this is all based on my understanding of how it works which is mostly science, partly experience:

It takes adults, on average, 10 days to acclimate to a relocation to a colder or warmer climate. It takes children, on average, about 14 days. Children and tiny people, because of their surface area to mass ratio, find it easier to get rid of excess warmth and more difficult to maintain body temperature. Your comfort zone will be determined by the conditions you usually experience. If your comfort zone and your environment do not match most of the time, your comfort zone will change. If you do not ever force yourself outside your comfort zone, you will narrow your range of experiences. Possibly not a logical course of action for a self-professed curious person.

While I consider a person who is unwilling to experience anything outside their comfort zone to be mentally fragile, I do not consider being willing to push the boundaries of your comfort zone to be the standard for mental toughness. At best it is the bar for barely average toughness, or at least it should be. The ability to push yourself to extremely uncomfortable situations without focusing on discomfort and without relying on lengthy acclimatization simply because circumstances demand it ...that's mental toughness. Going a week without power after a blizzard huddling around meager heat sources without whining about it to all the people in the same boat...that's mental toughness.

I set the thermostat as low as possible for comfort in the winter and as high as possible for comfort in the summer because being acclimated to the opposite of the weather conditions makes me less likely to experience comfort outdoors and because it save a lot of money. If I never give in and crank the heat, I can easily become accustomed to 60 and a hoodie in the winter, and an extra blanket at night. After a while, you don't even notice any more. It isn't even uncomfortable. Adjusting my comfort zone doesn't make me tough, it makes it easier for me to be comfortable.

It isn't the immune system of your body that is affected by cold, it's the fact that rhinoviruses last longer in temperatures a few degrees lower than body temperature, which is what your nasal cavity temperature is when you are breathing cold air. Extremely dry air (cold air holds less moisture) can also compromise the sinus surfaces and result in an higher risk of viral infection. But your immune system is fine. Combine this with the tendency for humans to huddle and to congregate indoors, and you get an increased incidence of viruses that attack the respiratory system specifically when it is cold. You'd have to undergo severe cold stress to damage the whole immune system.

The temperature doesn't significantly affect my happiness level provided it does not present a survival struggle. I spend a lot of time outside in the summer and can cut the grass at noon on a hot humid day without feeling unhappy. Hell I even wear full over the ear headphones sometimes. No mental toughness required, just plenty of fluids. Enduring a burning building inside bunker gear ... that makes you mentally tough.
    Last edited by Sistamatic; 01-16-2018 at 02:08 AM.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INFP
    I need an app that removes the word 'so' from the start of sentences.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Jesus, Craigslist. Calm down.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I had to travel across two continents in the dead of winter to sit onsite with a retail client because they negotiated a contract where they don't pay travel and expenses. Consultant bums on seats.
    The highlight of those frequent weeks for me are in-n-out, hotel points, airmiles, and spending $50 per night at the supermarket, just to stick it to the man on the reacharound. Have a $4 meal and a haul of jerky, cashews, dairy, coffee and confectionery, like a willy wonka pirate with a penchant for African coffee and eating soap.
    We live here now.

Type
    INTP
    Last week sometime, I slipped on a little ice outside work and knocked a fence post. Quite minor - nothing serious. Dented the fence a little, had to have the steering re-aligned as I'd actually hit the wheel.

Anyway, what I'm really fucking sick of is every single bastard person in the building asking one at a bloody time over the last week, "I 'eard you 'ad a bump. Car OK? You OK?" Yes, my car is fine. I'm fine - everything is fine. I haven't spoken to you before, so fuck off. It was over a week ago.

I swear, I'm gonna end up sending an all departments e-mail about it just to tell them to stop asking about it.

Type
    INTP
    There's this great opportunity I can help get you!

uh nope sorry we have to give it to someone internally

This has happened way too many times in my life.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have a pain in a small area of my lower leg, just above my right ankle, front outer area. I Googled "above ankle pain" with low hopes but I actually discovered there's such thing as a high ankle sprain.

"A high ankle sprain occurs when there is tearing and damage to the high ankle ligaments. These injuries are much less common than a traditional ankle sprain...​High ankle sprains occur from rotational injuries, much like ankle fractures. They are common in sports, especially impact sports. An external rotation, when the foot is turned towards the outside with respect to the leg, most commonly causes these tears."

I wasn't doing a whole lot to cause this but I did do a little woodworking yesterday which I don't do often. Maybe the way I carried the sawhorse with a small piece of wood clamped to it. It's pretty pathetic if I can't do that without stretching first.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.