Page 946 of 949 FirstFirst ... 446846896936944945946947948 ... LastLast
Results 9,451 to 9,460 of 9485

Thread: Little rants that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Here's one I think the tinfoils and I can both agree with, though possibly not about the specifics: certain elites have a vested interest in returning our mindset to a feudal one as preconditions for a quasi-feudal economy.
    I didn't realize we'd left a fuedal mindset. I thought we just made the houses non-royal, quasi-dynastic, and something to gamble on. Corporate logos are the new family crest.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by last_caress View Post
    The conspiracy tards are killing this site.
    The non-stupids need to post some more to bump up the average post quality around here.

But then they leave instead of contributing

Type
    INFP
    Here's my own late-night rant about conspiracy theorists: They are just raw egotists.

There exist professional watchdogs, think tanks, professional investigators, and technical experts of every possible political stripe that are paid hundreds of millions of dollars or more to peruse exactly the same materials as the conspiracy theorists, and they fact-check and run to the press or courts when an occasional tidbit seems to have some substance. But the conspiracy theorists think they have more insight than the mega-million-dollar lawyers and think tanks and experts. The conspiracy theorists watch a few dozen brain-dead Youtube videos and think they can pull the truth out of their ass.

It's all ego.

Think of the fortune-teller or psychic in a cheap little storefront shop or even just the average housewife who thinks she had a premonition the last time something bad happened to a family member 500 miles away. Why do they do that? They want to think they have some insight, that they're a little more tapped into the cosmic web than the rest of humanity, that they're special in some small way. Frankly it scares the shit out of them to think that they might not be special, that "this is as good as it gets," and that there's nothing for them but a cold grave at the end. So they clutch at any little sense of significance, weave a little personal myth about special powers they have out of minor daily coincidences that happen to them, etc.

Or they become the serial murderer or the bandit on the run, living large and supposedly proving that the laws of others don't apply to them. Or they become the pharaoh or Rockefeller building pyramids and empires and enormous monuments to themselves, thinking they're standing out and proving their specialness and beating cheap, common mortality that way. And so on. People act out in one manner or another, and then they weave the craziest rationalizations to justify their actions or beliefs.

It's also aluminum-foil-hat crazies sleeping in the park, curmudgeons with a permanent chip on their shoulder, and people who use the word "sheeple": "I have special powers of discernment and insight. I can see connections and networks and truths that no one else can see." And so on.

We all do weird shit to affirm our significance in the world and the universe, despite every indication that we are, in fact, totally insignificant. And the explanation is always the same: Ego. It's the ant shaking its fist at the universe and yelling, "I exist!" There's nothing wrong with the ant's action. But objectively speaking, the universe remains unaware of the ant's existence; the ant's gesture only has meaning in the ant's mind. But it soothes the ant's ego, so it's all good. Again: It's all ego.

Religion is another one of many little games we play to frantically try to prove that we have a special place in the universe, that is, that we're the apple of God's eye and immortal like gods ourselves; and thus we try to deny that we're just "ashes to ashes and dust to dust" (worm food). Religion is mostly harmless, a socially-sanctioned outlet for out-of-control egos. Religion is better than becoming a serial killer or bandit on the run. Institutions (churches) are created to herd people toward religion for fear of what might happen to all those oversized egos otherwise.

And really, that's all there is to it. Freud wrote a lot about this stuff. His book "Civilization and Its Discontents" isn't specifically about the place of religion in society. But it's about the larger question of balancing the needs of millions of egos against the needs of civilization, that is, the need to get people to quit being such individualists and needy assholes and instead work and live in harmony. Thus, religion becomes one of several outlets for soaking up some of the oversized ego and helping to keep people mollified.

Anyway, that's my rant about conspiracy theorists. I kind of enjoy watching them a bit and seeing what their theories say about their egos. But eventually it gets repetitive and I just tune them out. It's just ego.
    Last edited by RDF; 10-11-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Don't forget being dumb or mentally ill. You have to be pretty dull not to be willing or able to differentiate expert opinion from woowoo internet garbage.

I enjoy my mind trash but at least I recognize it for what it is.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by RDF View Post
    Here's my own late-night rant about conspiracy theorists: They are just raw egotists.

There exist professional watchdogs, think tanks, professional investigators, and technical experts of every possible political stripe that are paid hundreds of millions of dollars or more to peruse exactly the same materials as the conspiracy theorists, and they fact-check and run to the press or courts when an occasional tidbit seems to have some substance. But the conspiracy theorists think they have more insight than the mega-million-dollar lawyers and think tanks and experts. The conspiracy theorists watch a few dozen brain-dead Youtube videos and think they can pull the truth out of their ass.

It's all ego.

Think of the fortune-teller or psychic in a cheap little storefront shop or even just the average housewife who thinks she had a premonition the last time something bad happened to a family member 500 miles away. Why do they do that? They want to think they have some insight, that they're a little more tapped into the cosmic web than the rest of humanity, that they're special in some small way. Frankly it scares the shit out of them to think that they might not be special, that "this is as good as it gets," and that there's nothing for them but a cold grave at the end. So they clutch at any little sense of significance, weave a little personal myth about special powers they have out of minor daily coincidences that happen to them, etc.

Or they become the serial murderer or the bandit on the run, living large and supposedly proving that the laws of others don't apply to them. Or they become the pharaoh or Rockefeller building pyramids and empires and enormous monuments to themselves, thinking they're standing out and proving their specialness and beating cheap, common mortality that way. And so on. People act out in one manner or another, and then they weave the craziest rationalizations to justify their actions or beliefs.

It's also aluminum-foil-hat crazies sleeping in the park, curmudgeons with a permanent chip on their shoulder, and people who use the word "sheeple": "I have special powers of discernment and insight. I can see connections and networks and truths that no one else can see." And so on.

We all do weird shit to affirm our significance in the world and the universe, despite every indication that we are, in fact, totally insignificant. And the explanation is always the same: Ego. It's the ant shaking its fist at the universe and yelling, "I exist!" There's nothing wrong with the ant's action. But objectively speaking, the universe remains unaware of the ant's existence; the ant's gesture only has meaning in the ant's mind. But it soothes the ant's ego, so it's all good. Again: It's all ego.

Religion is another one of many little games we play to frantically try to prove that we have a special place in the universe, that is, that we're the apple of God's eye and immortal like gods ourselves; and thus we try to deny that we're just "ashes to ashes and dust to dust" (worm food). Religion is mostly harmless, a socially-sanctioned outlet for out-of-control egos. Religion is better than becoming a serial killer or bandit on the run. Institutions (churches) are created to herd people toward religion for fear of what might happen to all those oversized egos otherwise.

And really, that's all there is to it. Freud wrote a lot about this stuff. His book "Civilization and Its Discontents" isn't specifically about the place of religion in society. But it's about the larger question of balancing the needs of millions of egos against the needs of civilization, that is, the need to get people to quit being such individualists and needy assholes and instead work and live in harmony. Thus, religion becomes one of several outlets for soaking up some of the oversized ego and helping to keep people mollified.

Anyway, that's my rant about conspiracy theorists. I kind of enjoy watching them a bit and seeing what their theories say about their egos. But eventually it gets repetitive and I just tune them out. It's just ego.
    I challenge you to debunk my conspiracy theories, and my political theories.

Go on, go ahead.

The problem with "your lot" is that you won't go no further than generalized derision and put your money where your mouth is.

Less rhetoric and more content - please.

Unless you think Jgyngs (or whatever) one liners are sufficient to prove your point?

In which case we must agree to disagree - we must have different standards as to what constitutes a coherent argument, and what constitutes regurgitated bullshit.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    xNxx
    Pizzagate
    has been judged to be false after detailed investigation by the fact-checking website Snopes.com and The New York Times,[46][59][60] and numerous news organizations have debunked it as a conspiracy theory, including the New York Observer,[61] The Washington Post,[62] The Independent in London,[63] The Huffington Post,[64] The Washington Times,[65] the Los Angeles Times,[66] Fox News,[67] and the Miami Herald.[5] The Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia characterized the matter as "fictitious".[5]
    Let me translate this into potato: the conspiracy stretches further than you can ever imagine. The cops and the newspapers are in on it. Fucking Fox News is in on it!

Type
    INTP
    Pizzagate

Let me translate this into potato: the conspiracy stretches further than you can ever imagine. The cops and the newspapers are in on it. Fucking Fox News is in on it!
    The media is in on it - and this is an example as to how it's impossible to have an intelligent conversation with idiots.

I don't know how anybody can sit their and bleat about the "credibility" of Fox News and Rupert fucking Murdoch.

Begs belief.

White Propaganda, Black Propaganda and "Friendly Media" all important concepts.. any takers for discussion?.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    The media is in on it - and this is an example as to how it's impossible to have an intelligent conversation with idiots.
    "The media is in on it"

Man with your rigorous qualifications for logical proof of your extraordinary claims, you must have some extreme evidence to back this up. Anything? At least some obfuscatory wall of text with a vague fascist/antigay leaning? Is it finally the jews this time?

Type
    INTP
    "The media is in on it"

Man with your rigorous qualifications for logical proof of your extraordinary claims, you must have some extreme evidence to back this up. Anything? At least some obfuscatory wall of text with a vague fascist/antigay leaning? Is it finally the jews this time?
    Sure, see above, as I was editing.

Can you please demonstrate your knowledge around the aforementioned concepts and then we will go from there.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post

I don't know how anybody can sit their and bleat about the "credibility" of Fox News and Rupert fucking Murdoch.

Begs belief.
    Trash blogs and youtube channels have no credibility. You believe it because you want to believe it.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"