Page 1160 of 1160 FirstFirst ... 160660106011101150115811591160
Results 11,591 to 11,598 of 11598

Thread: Little rants that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I actually don't do that. Sounds really folksy to me.
    My last job in the US was based in Winnipeg and my coworkers there would say, "I say aboot, not aboot", effectively saying the same word twice, like a Scot.
    Scots are funny when they say "food" - it's like "Fudd" ...like hungry retards.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    My last job in the US was based in Winnipeg and my coworkers there would say, "I say aboot, not aboot", effectively saying the same word twice, like a Scot.
    I've been accused of doing the same.

Scots are funny when they say "food" - it's like "Fudd" ...like hungry retards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    I find the English add the letter R in places that don't exist. For example, idea will sound like idearrrr.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I have a client that sends me seemingly harmless jobs that end up being a gigantic kick in the face.

The latest installment was a revision of 28 docs that was about 3/4 100% matches which they told me to respect the translation memory for. The small part that didn't match was evidently translated by a non-translator and I spent a long time correcting everything. All this is a technical manual for a machine most people don't know exists.

I finally hand everything in, an hour late, and they send me back an email with hundreds of cases of "discrepancies with the term base", a term base I never had access to. The translation memory didn't even have most of these terms, or had them in small numbers. I proceed to correct these 28 documents for like 2 hours.

Now they inform me they are still checking for discrepancies and will be in touch. But I actually have a job and shit to do with my day that's not this.

I am never touching another job of theirs with a ten foot pole. I'm not even gonna lie, I'm not telling them I'm busy, I'm just telling them it's not my thing, so they stop asking.

This one beats the time they sent me a "short" translation, for which I spent hours doing formatting nobody paid me for, and maybe 45 mins on the translation itself.

Fuck yourselves with a cactus.

They just tried to send me two jobs today, even after the first had been rejected. I said, "I'm afraid I can't do it, I hope you can find a translator." Reply: "When can you have it at the earliest?" Now I'm just a broken record, "Actually, I can't do it."

I dunno how to explain I'd rather starve to death than ever deal with their shit again in any shape or form.

Type
    INTP
    My gf's dog is at the vet right now after she discovered red splotches on his belly. They determined that he has low platelets - zero platelets to be precise. They have ruled out cancer and poisoning. So apparently they are just giving him meds to boost platelets and waiting to see if it helps and hoping he doesn't start spontaneous severe bleeding. They gave her a 50/50 shot that he makes it through this, and it will be another couple days until they can tell if the meds are working or if he needs a platelet infusion. But I'm pretty sure that if he needs a platelet infusion, that is gonna get really expensive really fast. The bill so far is already pretty high. So I've got a very distraught girlfriend who is far away from me right now, and our plans to see each other next week are either postponed, or instead of her driving down here which I've been getting ready for and looking forward to, I'll be driving up there to support her while she grieves.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    My gf's dog is at the vet right now after she discovered red splotches on his belly. They determined that he has low platelets - zero platelets to be precise. They have ruled out cancer and poisoning. So apparently they are just giving him meds to boost platelets and waiting to see if it helps and hoping he doesn't start spontaneous severe bleeding. They gave her a 50/50 shot that he makes it through this, and it will be another couple days until they can tell if the meds are working or if he needs a platelet infusion. But I'm pretty sure that if he needs a platelet infusion, that is gonna get really expensive really fast. The bill so far is already pretty high. So I've got a very distraught girlfriend who is far away from me right now, and our plans to see each other next week are either postponed, or instead of her driving down here which I've been getting ready for and looking forward to, I'll be driving up there to support her while she grieves.
    Sorry to hear that. My dad's dog recently had ehrlichiosis which also presents a rash and rapidly reduced platecounts (it was too late for the dog when they diagnosed it). It's a tick-borne illness which has been making a comeback lately. I wonder if that's what the dog has. When it's very advanced they are prescribed steroids, along with the antibiotics for the disease. Good luck and I hope he's getting the right meds.

Societal egress and ennui Catoptric's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

$60 ink cartridges cost $.23 cents to make. . . Somehow I'm not surprised.

I was looking into it when I kept noticing how absurd it is that ink just dries up within a month or two, and never having used it. I've heard similarly that the printer is designed to tell you to buy ink prematurely (not unlike Apple selling $9 Iphones for $1000 and auto-"updating" to slow it down so you feel you have to buy the next one with a slightly minor revision and the same design flaws that only reinforce how fragile the product is, or how necessary it is to buy proprietary accessories or services and digital products that you are afraid to lose what has been invested in it.)

I should also mention the 'printhead' can be easily replaced for significantly cheaper on ebay (I bought two slightly used ones for $9 which would cost much more if bought directly.) A lot of electronics have common faults that are easily remedied such as capacitors being replaced on dishwasher circuit boards that are cheap (though perhaps annoying to remove sometimes,) and too often bad info is provided on solutions (how many people work in call centers oblivious to how the company is exploiting people? What does it say about their tolerance for their own Sisyphus dilemma?)

The same problem with auto repair shops that are slimy shits that people continue to believe are ethical when they lie directly to people over and over again (things like claiming special electronic equipment used to test the perimeters of combustion fuel and air intake (the same kind used to confirm you are eligible for car inspection renewal stickers which still cost significantly less) is necessary to recalibrate a car's combustion once they clear the OBD error such as by cleaning the airflow sensor which caused improper combustion (requiring a simple CRC electronic cleaning spray. Something that would take approximately 5 minutes of basic cleaning they will charge $500 and then throw magic numbers around and upsell on things like basic service. Most of the coupons they distribute in the mail are not designed to save money but just get you in the door so you are more likely to be upsold to, when they are much more likely to also get the products they use for significantly cheaper than sold. Most auto repair shops are unethical and have the temerity to call themselves 'Christian' companies to prey on the gullible. If you need to update a computer configuration with new software update they claim it requires an hour of labor (while they wait around and collect an extra hour of pay.)

If something is covered under warranty or medicare and insurance policies, any type of business will milk it dry as well. I specifically try and avoid supporting mainstream businesses and try to go directly to the source or go with generic competition, simply because of how unethical most business practices are. A timing chain in a car that has the same engine design by GMC had a class action lawsuit put against them with another car branding, and of course realizing it shouldn't go out right at the end of a warranty (which would only ever cover their own shit product,) I damn well am going to go with the superior competitor part.

Worth reading: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-is-succumbing
    Last edited by Catoptric; 08-07-2020 at 04:23 AM. Reason: $.29 -> $.23

Type
    isfp
    Jesus fuck I drank en a lot of cognac