Page 1011 of 1014 FirstFirst ... 11511911961100110091010101110121013 ... LastLast
Results 10,101 to 10,110 of 10135

Thread: Little rants that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    I agree with your general sentiment, but I think you are wrong about how much unskilled labor is needed. And much of that unskilled labor will be (or can be) automated away. Finally, I am not sure one repetitive unskilled job is any more fulfilling than another.

For example, to take your shopping scenario to the extreme, at some point not only might we not need cashiers, we won't even need retail stores. Just buy everything online and have it delivered. Then not only are the cashiers obsolete, but the stock clerks, janitors, security guards, etc.
    I think it'll be field specific, and we will eventually reach a point where we will draw a line distinct between which jobs we want a human doing no matter what and which ones we'd rather a machine do. I don't think we're at that point yet, so we're experiencing trial and error.

I also don't think retail stores will ever totally go away because there are a lot things people would rather not to buy sight unseen. Some people are fine with buying everything online, and sure there are some things only found online these days, but I think there will always be things people feel uncomfortable spending money on before they see it person. Food is a good example of this. You can have food delivered today (and I've ordered grocery delivery twice before when I dislocated my knee and couldn't go anywhere very easily for a few weeks, one of the many reasons it's great we can have food delivered) but barring some extreme circumstance people would prefer to pick their own fruit from the pile, and see the cut of meat they're buying with their own eyes.

So will all these people become UPS delivery drivers? And if so, is driving around all day carrying packages to doorsteps any more fulfilling than any of the above obsolete jobs? Probably not. Even so, probably only 1 in 10 or so of the bricks and mortar employees would be required.

And of course, self driving vehicles and/or delivery drones are looming in the not too distant future.

So I argue there is not really enough unskilled labor demand to provide for available workers, and this trend will steadily worsen. OTOH, I do not think avoiding automation for the sole sake of keeping people employed is desirable. Interesting times...
    Yes, it's a complicated problem. I think it's entirely possible that with the elimination of more unskilled labor jobs we might slowly see the bottom end of the "unskilled labor pool" elevate their consciousness in some way to match the new "bottom". It could in the long run be a net gain for positive human experience. This assumes that new jobs open up somewhere else though.

I think the most likely scenario is that we will make up more bullshit mid-level and low-level jobs like in the article Catroptric posted in the first place. There will be less cashiers but there will be more professional drinkers.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    There will be less cashiers but there will be more professional drinkers.
    You would make the best high school guidance counselor ever. @flurps: might be time to go back.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    You would make the best high school guidance counselor ever. @flurps: might be time to go back.
    That's a start but where are all the professional acid droppers, probably in silicon valley right, damn

One ticket to pancreatitisland please, ding ding

Type
    INTP
    Now awake after 4 hours sleep. Dafuq is with this waking insomnia?!

Also sent Rev out grocery shopping on his own the other day (an exercise of trust).
    He only came back with half of what we needed and completely forgot to shop for baby stuff.

Am I dating the definition of a man child? Or am I just be too harsh?
    This is the debate that rages within me.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    Now awake after 4 hours sleep. Dafuq is with this waking insomnia?!

Also sent Rev out grocery shopping on his own the other day (an exercise of trust).
    He only came back with half of what we needed and completely forgot to shop for baby stuff.

Am I dating the definition of a man child? Or am I just be too harsh?
    This is the debate that rages within me.
    Next time give him a list. He needs that shit.

Type
    INXj
    And just like that, tomorrow’s Monday.

Type
    INFP
    Someone keeps texting me long links (google.amp.ad.infinitum) to local news stories from days ago in the news cycle e.g. an ABC7 Sacramento story about the Russell Westbrook NBA trade in Houston. This person is under 35. How do you react to texted links without comment? Are you extra irked when they're untrimmed? I just ignore them but they keep coming. I find it very annoying but I'm a little crazy.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    Someone keeps texting me long links (google.amp.ad.infinitum) to local news stories from days ago in the news cycle e.g. an ABC7 Sacramento story about the Russell Westbrook NBA trade in Houston. This person is under 35. How do you react to texted links without comment? Are you extra irked when they're untrimmed? I just ignore them but they keep coming. I find it very annoying but I'm a little crazy.
    I asked my cab driver friend for a ride a few days ago. He said he lost his license. I said ok. I hear a ding on my messenger last night. He said "Sup man" I was like OH Hell Naw. Seriously? Sup man? The audacity.

There's a lot to texting etiquette that people don't quite get. Sending 2 or 3 messages at once, not cool. Dragging on a conversation too long, not cool. A ding or an alert is often a stressor in a busy city life. Don't just write "what's up?" Get to the point. Here's a text from last night

Them: Yo
    Me: Yeah
    Them: what's up
    In other words, get to the point

A gas station clerk said I said yeah a lot, yeah can I get a cigar. Yeah that one.

But yeah, I hate that ding only to be disappointed and its a dude. Setting off my reward center for nothing bro, now I'm pissed, now I'm blocking you. Just kidding, I was just like yeah I'm just busy playing Call of Duty rn. Ttyl.

A few nights ago my phone wouldn't stop buzzing, resulting in me spilling hot soup every where from someone who triple texts, I was like WHAT? Texting me every 2 seconds, now I spilled soup everywhere. What's up?!?

I'm just a little more high strung when I play Black ops. My coworker called in sick today, and I was like thank god. He's the Sr low volt guy, so not much I could do without him. I called in sick 2 days ago so I'm glad that evens it out. Under his company this gig lead to me getting a project setting up an alarm and security system. Definitely will help me get into electrical union.

Now I'm off to Wal Mart.

Oh yeah, speaking of which, fuck Steve Aoki. Offering Kawhi Leonard a lifetime worth of pizza to come to LA? There's so many things wrong with that. Pizza will destroy an NBA player, and second wtf does Steve Aoki know about basketball. Shouldn't he be writing a poem or something?

Ok, looks at shopping list "Caprisun and pizza" alright!
    Memelogical qoutient

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Johnson View Post
    I asked my cab driver friend for a ride a few days ago. He said he lost his license. I said ok. I hear a ding on my messenger last night. He said "Sup man" I was like OH Hell Naw. Seriously? Sup man? The audacity.

There's a lot to texting etiquette that people don't quite get. Sending 2 or 3 messages at once, not cool. Dragging on a conversation too long, not cool. A ding or an alert is often a stressor in a busy city life. Don't just write "what's up?" Get to the point. Here's a text from last night

Them: Yo
    Them: what's up
    In other words, get to the point

A gas station clerk said I said yeah a lot, yeah can I get a cigar. Yeah that one.

But yeah, I hate that ding only to be disappointed and its a dude. Setting off my reward center for nothing bro, now I'm pissed, now I'm blocking you. Just kidding, I was just like yeah I'm just busy playing Call of Duty rn. Ttyl.

A few nights ago my phone wouldn't stop buzzing, resulting in me spilling hot soup every where from someone who triple texts, I was like WHAT? Texting me every 2 seconds, now I spilled soup everywhere. What's up?!?

I'm just a little more high strung when I play Black ops. My coworker called in sick today, and I was like thank god. He's the Sr low volt guy, so not much I could do without him. I called in sick 2 days ago so I'm glad that evens it out. Under his company this gig lead to me getting a project setting up an alarm and security system. Definitely will help me get into electrical union.

Now I'm off to Wal Mart.

Oh yeah, speaking of which, fuck Steve Aoki. Offering Kawhi Leonard a lifetime worth of pizza to come to LA? There's so many things wrong with that. Pizza will destroy an NBA player, and second wtf does Steve Aoki know about basketball. Shouldn't he be writing a poem or something?

Ok, looks at shopping list "Caprisun and pizza" alright!
    I had to look up who Steve Aoki is. I like my pop Korean. I doubt Kawhi pays for pizza anyway. Even if he just wanted free meals I'm sure he could have just stayed in Toronto and gotten free shit for the rest of his life. I wonder who the most famous NBA player is who isn't famous enough to get free meals everywhere. Al Horford? Jrue Holiday? You know how it goes. The richer you are the less you have to pay for. I'd still rather pay for my meals and retain my anonymity, I tell myself. I don't think Kawhi cares that much about fame or he's just really great at keeping up the appearance of not caring about fame. Next season is going to be crazy, if anyone is considering following the NBA.

I'll text a few times in a row but it's all substance. I've never texted anybody 'hey' in my life. I ignore 'hey.' Fuck off. I'm very much straight to the point. The medium is designed for pith.

I was at Wal-Mart earlier looking around and I bought a Gerber EAB Lite for box-cutting. Very cool little tool and cheap. It would probably get uncomfortable if I cut boxes all day but sadly I can't provide for myself cutting boxes all day or that's what I'd do, with a more ergonomic box cutter, of course.
    Last edited by MoneyJungle; 07-16-2019 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Monday Night Raw is boring

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    ISTP
    @Grape Johnson you're work ethic is admirable.