Page 974 of 993 FirstFirst ... 474874924964972973974975976984 ... LastLast
Results 9,731 to 9,740 of 9929

Thread: Little rants that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    intp
    18 was horrible. Couldn't face doing that again.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    18 was horrible. Couldn't face doing that again.
    Me either. Not with my current body anyway.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INFP
    Owners of off-leash dogs: your apologies for your dog's behavior are worthless.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    I hate them. They put their animals at risk for no goddam reason. I also hate that local law enforcement turns a blind eye to it.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    intp

One of the guys at work used to work doing pest control on goats, possums and deer. Some dogs got his kid's pet rabbits so he 1080'd 'em. Last he saw they were running down the street in a mad dog panic.

The owners spent a bit of time door knocking looking for their dogs...

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I hate them. They put their animals at risk for no goddam reason. I also hate that local law enforcement turns a blind eye to it.
    If an off leash dog owner is apologizing, their dog needs to be leashed. Some dogs are fine without leashes though. I think it might be rare though, given the way most dogs are raised now, alone from 9-5, alone in the yard even when the humans are home, rarely interacting with anyone except the mailman during the day.

I've had 3 as an adult, and only one of them didn't need a leash. I put one on him whenever anyone asked to make others feel better, but he didn't want to be more than five feet away from me at any given moment whether he had a leash or not, so it was just decoration. So smart, so loyal. I didn't keep track of him, he kept track of me.

One dog I had didn't want to go anywhere. He would look at you like you were insane if you wanted to pull him away from the porch he was sworn to protect. He just showed one day, old and arthritic, with a bowl in his mouth. He was skin and bones. He walked up to me on the porch and put the bowl down at my feet. I put food in it, and he stayed there until he died of old age a few years later. I used to joke that we could have built a doghouse around him and he wouldn't have moved. Only time he was ever harnessed was when I physically dragged him from the porch to the car to go to the vet once a year. A hard thing to do, I think he was mostly Saint Bernard. He was a very good dog. I named him Bobo the Hobo. He would pick his enormous head up and chuff at strangers and then look at me like, "You want I should bite em, or can I go back to napping?"

I did have the misfortune of adopting one of the worst dogs on the planet. I raised her at the same time and the same way as the one who didn't ever really need a leash and the outcome was utterly different. Willful, stubborn, didn't give a flying crap if I disapproved or approved. I did not like her at all. Solid white Husky Samoyed mix with one blue and one brown eye. (no she wasn't deaf, she just liked to pretend she couldn't hear me. She could hear the can opener just fine. Also, yes, the vet checked.) I think she may have been the devil. Life is too short to go chasing after a fucking dog that will break out of a fucking window to escape and then nearly kill the neighbor's pregnant horse while you run to the store real quick. There was no fence, crate, house, chain, or yard that could hold her, and she ran as fast as she could to do as much damage to a random neighbor's property every single fucking time she got out. I was so glad when I found her a new home. I had pretty much told the neighbors who wanted her shot that while I couldn't bring myself to do it, I couldn't come up with any compelling reason why they shouldn't. Her name was Isis...but this was before the terrorist group. I sometimes wonder if she founded it.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INtP
    Misbehaving unleashed dogs are the worst, and their over-confident owners. Some dogs will only jump/bite/attack/etc in the presence of certain triggerrs and that is not always predictable. I shopped for bear spray upon someone's recommendation (here, actually?) but ultimately decided against it as I was afraid of the risk of my kids getting into it.

I am ok with vigilante neighbor justice in defending oneself (or one's pet) against unruly dogs.

Type
    INTP
    Car designs have changed in relation to the position and size of indicator lights meaning that they are now only clearly visible when you are directly in front of or directly behind another car. I remember time when indicator lights were large and used to be placed on the corners of the vehicle so they would wrap around the front/back and the side making them easy to see in a wide range of positions. At the rear, the brake lights are now placed on the edge of the car and the indicator lights are to the inside of the brake lights. This is a really bad design from a safety point of view.

I know there are regulations in Australia in relation to the visibility of indicator lights from various locations outside the vehicle that must be satisfied before a vehicle is permitted to be imported and sold. I wonder whether these regulations have changed or are just not being enforced anymore.
    Love displaces fear

Type
    INtP
    We bought a house and are vacating our rental at the end of the month. The landlord asked if it would be ok to have a tenant come over to look at the place yesterday and we agreed. The landlord didn't come though, just the tenant. I was a bit annoyed as I interpreted it to mean is it ok for our place to be available, not that we would have to show the person the place and answer questions.

Odd for him too, because then I can tell prospective tenants exactly what I am paying for rent now, what things we have put in requests for that still need fixing, and possibly selling them stuff we don't want to haul over.

Type
    INTP
    Fuck everything in the ass
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)