Page 107 of 1120 FirstFirst ... 757971051061071081091171572076071107 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 11198

Thread: Little rants that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    No, it isn't. Have you seen the movie? Just telling somebody you think they're crazy isn't gaslighting. It's about deliberately manipulating situations to make a person question their own sanity. Not that he doesn't sound obnoxious but this is becoming another one of those overused and misapplied terms and it irritates me, at least partly because the movie was awesome and now it gets associated with all sorts of mundane disputes.
    *have not seen the movie

Having been in the semantic grey area between your point of view and an actual stalking before, I can smell this at a distance. The difference is that one can dispassionately say "you're crazy". What happens here is "you're crazy and just let me fix/love you," which is NOT a mundane dispute, it's controlling behavior.

There's also a grey area between the genuine liminal state that is (perhaps codependent) love which is essentially "we're crazy and we can fix/love each other" and the one-sided stalker thing.

It's like trying to manufacture love by triggering someone's codependence.

Last edited by stuck; 05-02-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    It's like trying to manufacture love by triggering someone's codependence.
    This doesn't work? I can't imagine why not.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 05-02-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Type
    INTj
    Given the timing in between messages he could either be trolling you, or you could actually have a psychologically screwed up stalker.

Type
    INTP
    Given that out-right murder is illegal, I'm with Stuck on the blocking approach.
    Murder in self-defense may actually be probable with this one.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ...or you could actually have a psychologically screwed up stalker.
    By definition, aren't all stalkers psychologically screwed up?

The best way to deal with a noxious person is to ignore him/her. S/he goes away and looks for another victim.

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by Thevenin View Post
    By definition, aren't all stalkers psychologically screwed up?
    I would argue that stalking could be a transient trait, brought on by environmental variables; however, it could also be indicative of a full-blown personality disorder. So while some may be screwed up, others may be really screwed up. The timing between those messages stand out to me though...

Type
    INTP
    Upspeak--it drives me nuts! So irritating. If you have something to say, say it with conviction--stop saying it like it's a question. It makes you appear uncertain, diffident, wimpy.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Given that out-right murder is illegal, I'm with Stuck on the blocking approach.
    Murder in self-defense may actually be probable with this one.
    Actually, if she plays her cards right she could set this up for a free murder very easily.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Actually, if she plays her cards right she could set this up for a free murder very easily.
    I suggest a meet-up in Florida. If he's a minority, it's a gimme

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thevenin View Post
    Upspeak--it drives me nuts! So irritating. If you have something to say, say it with conviction--stop saying it like it's a question. It makes you appear uncertain, diffident, wimpy.
    Based on limited* observation of users of it, I'm pretty sure that's the goal. It's a vocal tactic used to make the speaker less threatening.

*In this case I speak not only of it's relative rarity, but my fondness for avoiding the presence of people who use it. It's one of about a dozen vocalization traits that I've been unable to overcome my aversion to.