Page 3 of 804 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Little rants that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Do I have a huge fucking sign flashing on my forehead that says "BOOTY CALL"??!!! What did I do??? Whyyyyyy??
    No!

The sign isn't in all caps.

Type
    INTP
    More specifically: how was your father in your childhood?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyBard View Post
    More specifically: how was your father in your childhood?
    How bout you ask me again when you're allowed to wear long trousers.

Type
    INTP
    Last night at 9:30 my landlords emailed me asking for permission to show my apartment today to someone who's interested. Now legally, they're bound to give 24 hour notice before entering. I told them that no, it wouldn't work because I didn't have time to clean up the place before going to work the next day, and didn't hear back. Until now, when I get a call from them asking AGAIN to show the place. I reiterated that I hadn't had a chance to clean up, and she launches into a big rant about how hard it is to rent right now, "because it's Christmas!" (which she repeated several times) and how it's their only chance because they're going away to Tahoe, blah blah. Am I supposed to feel pity? Or guilty for somehow burdening them during Christmas? Sorry, but these are the same people that fined me $25 because I had a complication with a bank transaction that caused me to be a few weeks late on my rent payment. I don't give a damn if you have to work during Christmas. I've spent a year paying you a third of my income.

Somehow I know that they're going to come up with every reason they can to keep as much of my deposit as possible. I should have taken better photos of the place when I moved in.

Type
    INTP
    I'm sick and tired of making accounts. I'm fed up with it. The problem isn't just the making of the account but how many people and institutions insist on it. It's especially tortuous when looking for work. Nearly every job I've applied to in the last 5 years has required me to build an account first. The only exceptions were where I already had an account built, or, the jobs I actually got.

The disgusting part of it is how much work gets thrown into futility. I'm sending a gawdam resume you fuckwits. All the information I want you to have is on it. You want more? Give me an interview and stop jerking me around without finishing the job and letting me have a happy ending. It's a disgusting waste of your resources and my time.

It's also a form of discrimination. Before everyone went online, if you asked for an application, you got one. By law, they couldn't refuse you. Now if you ask for an application they refuse and tell you to apply online. I'm fortunate that I have that option, but not everyone does, and it's ludicrous to presume that sort of access. One might argue about the availability of public terminals, and it's more or less true that if I were hard up for internet access, I could probably find a library somewhere that would let me have a few minutes of web time--but here's the thing about public terminals these giant producers of ass mucous pretend doesn't exist: they're ludicrously unsecured, and making that account--well, it has information, properties and behaviors sufficiently personal to warrant not just a password, but usually a password with such arcane mandated provisions that not only will it be difficult for script kiddies to readily hack, but it will be nigh impossible to remember. That means applying puts you in a way more vulnerable position than filling out a paper application and handing it to someone of presumed competence. A paper application has limited access, but once your info is on the web, you're worldwide bait. Doing it from your home is like having a one night stand with proper protection. Using a public terminal is more akin to barebacking with an ax crazy person you already know has multiple venereal diseases, viral meningitis, and uncontrolled tuberculosis. That is to say, it's a little risky.

Canvassing with resumes is already tedious, whether at a job fair, door to door, or targetted resumes via email, it's bloody tedious and tiresome. Add in making an account every-fucking-where, and it becomes a giant fucking headache that lasts for months/years on end. I have accounts all over the internet now, and most of them, I don't know a damn thing about anymore. I've gone to apply for a job, started the process of making an account, only to discover I already had an account. Ironically, this doesn't save me any time at all because now I have to go through the login/password retrieval process. I haven't managed to develop a password that manages to meet every requirement out there--every time I think I've got one, I end up making an account that has added a new hoop that must be entered while doing a new gymnastic feat. Hell, there are some accounts out there where I was in a period of such irritation I just facerolled the password to get my resume into their digital ghetto garbage bin as fast as possible.

The end result of all this is that it usually doesn't matter whether I'm applying to a company for the first time or the fiftieth, it takes nearly the same amount of time to get through it all, which from my end makes the account lack utility. It causes me to hate almost every company I apply to. Colour me idealistic but I remember when applying to jobs was an opportunity to feel hope. Now it's an invitation for rage. I'm a disgruntled employee of a hundred or more corporations and businesses I've never even gotten an interview with, let alone drawn a paycheck.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 12-24-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Type
    INtP
    I am missing out on the Christmas get-togethers due to strep throat and its accompanying 100+ fever. I know some of you misanthropes would consider missing out on extended family shit as a rave, but it's my kids first Christmas and I'm sick on the couch, online, missing it.
    Last edited by oxyjen; 12-25-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Type
    Intp
    That is bad. ugh. We is so so sorry. Your baby will forigive you though. You just need to feel a whole lot better, cause you do. Kids need to find out very first thing that we are way less than perfect, very less. Otherwise it scares them horribly later on when we turn human in their eyes. It's a horror, it is.

However, get well soon, whatever are you doing sick on the eve of St. Nickolas and all? Oh yeah, I was sick for a couple of days beginning Saturday. Mostly better now. I really did think I was going to die for real though. Rest, rest, rest, tea, medicine, rest, okay? Bummer.

Type
    INtP
    Herm, you're the forum mom. Glad you're here, and yes this is genuine Fe and not the meds talking.

Type
    INTP
    I got a raise today. This would normally not be a rant, except that the raise was based on the fact that I'm certifying myself in the industry and expect to be done by early next year. This would still not be a rant, except that I plan on leaving the job before that time. It's a family company (my family -- boss isn't in the family though) so I can't just pocket the money and laugh. What's more, is that while I was having my year-end review, my boss was going on about how much he hates turnover and how expensive training is, how valuable I am for being there for two years, yadda yadda, and I sat there with a straight face knowing all the while that we'll be sitting in that same room in less than a month and I'll be telling him that too bad, he's losing me. Which sucks, because I like the guy.

I hate break-ups of any sort, including jobs. What's weird is that it's so much easier to tell my family that I'm leaving the company than it is to tell this guy. Probably because he doesn't realize how little loyalty my family actually has to the employees. But after today, it will be like breaking up with someone right after they tell you they want to marry you or something.

Type
    intp
    Lakers suck serious balls now.