Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Manga/anime discussion

Otaku
    Type
    INTP

Manga/anime discussion

Discuss anything manga/anime related.

I'll start, best manga/anime you've read/watched this year?

(My own Best 10 of 2013 post incoming.)

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    This year? I guess re-watching Revolutionaly Girl Utena (although it is quite old by now) could count? Othewise, I look forward to watching Attack on Titan with Sekhmet this winter sometime.

Otaku
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    This year? I guess re-watching Revolutionaly Girl Utena (although it is quite old by now) could count? Othewise, I look forward to watching Attack on Titan with Sekhmet this winter sometime.
    Well, I am counting everything I start this year, but whichever way works for you.

Attack on Titan is a fad I'll never understand. Geez, broody boy avenging the death of his parents, I've never seen that plot before. Though I've heard world building is good and animation of gorgeous, so there's that.

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    Fair enough, we took it as a blind recommendation from some friends, heh.

Oh, and Red Line might count. Fucking awesome animation.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Attack on Titan was really intense for the first four or five episodes, then the horror of the Titans kinda wore off and I got bored and stopped watching after episode ten or so. The plot apart from that just wasn't very interesting I guess, or the action sequences. Those first few episodes were really disturbing though.

I know it's not the best, but I really enjoyed Kotoura-san. It's just... so cute! The first episode is heart-breaking, and then the dumbass pervert teenage boy with a heart of gold and the quirky fun members of the occult club who force her to trust people and let them in again... it's a really sweet story even if it's pretty silly most of the time.

I've also been liking 8th-grade syndrome(think that's what it's called) quite a bit, it's pretty funny and relatable to my high school experience and the gimmick of showing the pretend fantasy stuff as they're actually imagining it sometimes is actually pretty cool.

Servant x Service is about exactly as much fun as Working!!, which is quite a bit. Definitely gonna keep watching it.

Others I've enjoyed this year were Puella Magi(of course), Girls Und Panzer(really hoping they keep making this), and A Certain Scientific Railgun(pretty fun but eventually I got tired of it). Oh and Yuyushiki, Suzumiya Haruhi, Kill La Kill, Watamote, Haganai... I think that's about it. There were others that I thought were stupid, those were all ones I liked.

Type
    INTP
    Does 8th Grade Syndrome feature a girl who wears a medical eye-patch over her eye with a contact lens?

Yuyushiki is a guilty pleasure.

Currently watching the Fate series. Started with Zero, which turned out to be a good choice. Currently watching Stay, though I think the third series in the meta story might actually take place between the two--based on the brief synopsis of the first episode I read. It's... ok.

I think one of the more interesting things about it is that Zero has a much more seinen feel and most of the players involved are adults. Stay has a more shonen feel and, yep, now the combatants with their life on the line are mostly high school kids. It's interesting to me that they managed to--and chose to--work with the same meta-formula but with such different atmospheres, and kept it all in the same world. It's the difference between having a character try to kill off a high school full of students, and having a confirmed pair of magic wielding serial killers who prefer to prey on women and children (and do so).

There are other places where Zero went straight for the throat but Stay... stays it's hand.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Otaku
    Type
    INTP
    We were planning to watch Redline this break. I'll have to see if my sister already has it downloaded then. xD

I've watched Fate Zero, but skipped Stay Night since I've heard really bad things about it. And yes, Caster and his master are the most awesome pair.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Does 8th Grade Syndrome feature a girl who wears a medical eye-patch over her eye with a contact lens?
    Yeah, that's the one.

Type
    ENFP
    I'm watching Log Horizon right now. The premise is a bit cliche at first, but it's refreshing for the protagonist to not be a blockhead who gets by on guts, or some enigmatic brainiac who has better computing power in his brain than a real computer. I won't say it's without flaws, but it's the only one of this season I really enjoy.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    Yeah, that's the one.
    Love, Chunibyo and other Delusions. I really enjoyed that one. Has a nice payoff at the end. Very cute and romantic.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.