Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you cook when you are lazy?

When I'm not lazy....it's been so long that I barely remember. A bit more work and time goes into things like risotto, lasagna, quiche, good vegetarian chili, a simple curry, peanut sauce with tofu. For big family holiday meals, it's more the number of courses than the difficulty of preparing them. Sweet potatoes and bread and pies and so on.

Part of my problem is that I like to make certain things from scratch if I can. Yogurt or crust or pasta sauce, for example. This adds an extra step in a lot of cases.

Type
    intp
    Tonight I made a soup from roasted cauliflower, sweet potato, and turnip, and blended with coconut milk. I sauteed kale with ginger for the salad, and used hibiscus vinaigarette I made with the petals leftover from making jamaica. It was for a family dinner, including my vegan grandmother who doesn't eat raw vegetables. She said that she liked the color of the salad, but it was obvious that she only ate it to be polite.

When I cook for myself, I tend to make a large vegetable "side" and consume it as the entire meal. I'm also really into making large soups and portioning it out for a few days. It takes having company for me to plan much beyond cooking things on a stove.
    I wanna see your goodreads, so add me.

Type
    INTP
    Green salad with hummus and toast

Fried egg and tomato sandwich

Ploughhman's lunch

Miso soup with rice, vegetables, and either a poached egg or tofu

Type
    INTP
    Scrambled eggs--scrambled with duxelles--and home fries.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    I've started just skipping dinner a lot of times for this reason. A bag of peanuts is typically enough to curb my appetite for the evening, and I tend to have large lunches.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseedesBeauxArts View Post
    Or crunched for time? Or are just tired of the leftovers you have? Aside from frozen pizza or PBJ, what are the meals that you tend to throw together? Or do you freeze ahead? Or none of the above?
    You are on the right track with the frozen pizza, but I worry about your fresh pasta comments. Good and fast are somewhat incompatible when it comes to food. Lowering your standards is the key!

Once you do, there is a whole gambit of frozen food out there in addition to pizza. Some of it is pretty good (well - IMO, but I can't cook with any skill at all which makes me pretty easy to please). I always keep half a dozen varieties or so of these meals in my freezer. And then there is the whole world of canned goods. Mostly soups, but one can simply eat a can of tuna/salmon and a slice or two of bread when the goal is merely to stave off hunger.

And of course Kraft dinner (and now all the "gourmet" versions of kd, various pasta+powder that cooks up into some dish or another). Although I sense this type of pasta would not pass muster for you.

Type
    INTP
    I grew up poor so our shelves were not stocked so well. We (usually) had saltines. As a result I LOVE saltines and always have some on hand. I usually have something around to put on top: butter, brie, extra sharp cheddar, pepperoni slices, or peanut butter.

Peanut butter and bologna sandwiches are cheap and easy as are deli meats. Tomato, spanish olives, and mayo on toasted baguette if i have good bread laying around.

Real pinch but in the mood for something sweet/rich: cereal - granola with a tiny bit of HWC is heaven and oh so easy too...

Being good: coffee and a quest bar.

Type
    INTP
    I keep a bunch of cheese sticks and snack mix available for such laziness. Zero prep time. Open mouth, insert food, be minimally nourished. Done. Whole meals can be satisfied, as such.

As far as "cook", I just make a very lazy/efficient pizza (not frozen.. from crust,sauce,cheese, etc). Can have it from idea to on a plate in about 15 minutes.

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Bookrose View Post
    I grew up poor so our shelves were not stocked so well. We (usually) had saltines. As a result I LOVE saltines and always have some on hand. I usually have something around to put on top.
    Same cept I put chipotle cheddar, some uncured meat and sometimes spicy hummus!

I have subsisted a whole day on a can of Pringles(or Lay's Stackers) or dry romen on many occasions.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    Same cept I put chipotle cheddar...
    Caramba Papi!