Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Living to your full potential or take it easy?

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Living to your full potential or take it easy?

I was wondering if people would rather push themselves and try to live to their full potential and be extremely productive, or have a lot of spare time and take it easy? Or do the first choice first and then retire early and do the second....

Type
    INXX
    A good question.

I think I idle at about 50%. Some things I might approach 75% and some 25%. I also think I apply myself more than most people to. Now in the category of learning, I'm relentless- more like 90%. I don't know everything about any one subject, but I know way more than a layman in hundreds of subjects and I've earned money in scores of those. I also see how those things are interconnected so there is a synergistic amplifying effect.
    Last edited by LordLatch; 01-22-2015 at 04:53 AM.
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    not mutually exclusive. i consider work necessary and i'd consider it an accomplishment if i'm able to "reach my potential" there and find some sort of work that doesn't hurt to do, that provides the type of security that would allow me to "take it easy" sometimes and enjoy the important parts of life.

maybe my future won't happen that way but whatev

what does whoever gets the highest revolutions per life win?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by last_caress View Post

what does whoever gets the highest revolutions per life win?
    If it is the journey that matters rather than the destination than they win the feeling of having a busy life.

Type
    INTP
    If you win the rat race, you're still a rat?

I think that a mastery of life, or reaching one's full potential, is made more difficult if we frame it as a difficult accomplishment. I think there are plenty of geniuses out there who do a world of good, and they do it in such a way that it is highly effective without attracting needless glamour or attention. Making it out to be something worthy of special status voids the simplicity of it all by attracting resistance and needless obstacles. So basically, I think we do well to be laid back about how much ass-kicking we do...because efficiency demands that you only do it for its own sake...don't spend more time than necessary...or less time...don't sacrifice your humanity, but don't wallow in it either...it is the way of the tao.

http://www.taoism.net/chuang/butcher.htm

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    John, I think the world would be grateful if you'd take it easy and not try to live up to your potential. If you succeed in your dream of leading a race of giant sentient robots then the rest of us are doomed to be either assimilated, enslaved or exterminated. While it might work out for you when you're immortal as an insane brain-in-a-tank overmind, try to think about how much your wife would miss you.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    John, I think the world would be grateful if you'd take it easy and not try to live up to your potential.
    Well you're in luck. I've been cutting back dramatically the hours and tasks I do at work.

If you succeed in your dream
    My dream is for my wife to be super-beautiful rather than mediocre.

of leading a race of giant sentient robots then the rest of us are doomed to be either assimilated, enslaved or exterminated. While it might work out for you when you're immortal as an insane brain-in-a-tank overmind, try to think about how much your wife would miss you.
    She would probably want to join me though we'd both have robotic bodies.

Type
    xNxx
    do you know what a rectal prolapse is

Type
    ENTP
    Living to one's full potential is sort of a pipe dream, since the concept is completely subjective anyway. I'd rather frame this in terms of a life "well lived" - one where you can take pride in what you've done, whether it succeeded or failed.

Being the lazy shitty asshole I am, I don't know what this feels like. But my version of a life "well lived" would be one where I overcome my laziness and aversion, work harder, learn to better manage my own failings, and broaden my horizons. Naturally, if I'm able to crack the code and do that, my expectations will broaden as well, and a whole new definition of "potential" will emerge, at which point I'll run into different plateaus of limitations, and so forth.

I think it's possible to have a life "well lived" that isn't framed in terms of one's potential - which is an inherently presumptive (if not entitled) perspective.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.