Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back to School.

Type
    XXXX

Back to School.

Has anyone recently started school or going back soon? My classes start tomorrow. I'm taking some education courses, a class in symbolic logic (for the hell of it), and David Foster Wallace for my upper level English requirement. I suppose I'm pretty excited. Generally, I've come around to liking school. It gives me something to do and think about.

Anyway, what about you...what classes are you taking, how do you feel going in, etc...?
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Buy my book

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    David Foster Wallace for my upper level English requirement.
    I'm jealous.

I dropped out. (Senior year, wtf.) So I don't belong in this thread. I just wanted to express my jealousy.

Had I not dropped out, I would be taking a senior thesis class, a class on Almodovar, two misc sciences, and a poetry class.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    ^ Did you have any idea what those misc sciences would be?

Oh and I recently started my second masters degree (part time whilst working full time) in computational intelligence. Just finished a research methods and fuzzy logic classes. Doing swarm intelligence/genetic/memetic algorithms (evolutionary computing) and neural networks from February.

Next year... philosophy of AI, logic programming (Prolog), data mining, and robotics programming (mainly PIDs, sensors, actuators and register-level C code, as I understand). All good stuff!
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    I'm jealous.

I dropped out. (Senior year, wtf.) So I don't belong in this thread. I just wanted to express my jealousy.

Had I not dropped out, I would be taking a senior thesis class, a class on Almodovar, two misc sciences, and a poetry class.
    Why did you drop out? and what are you doing now?

Buy my book

Type
    INFP
    Why did you drop out? and what are you doing now?
    I was losing my mind in a way that was disturbingly visible and I couldn't stand the mixture of fear and shame. Now I'm working at a nursery school and signed up to start an EMT program. Things are much better without the stress of school, though I miss structured learning.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Not really. One was a "lab" (ie more math and thinking involved) and one was just memorizing facts. Possibly Astronomy, and The Senses.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Not really. One was a "lab" (ie more math and thinking involved) and one was just memorizing facts. Possibly Astronomy, and The Senses.
    The more mathematical one being astronomy? I guess calculating parallax and relative magnitudes and that sort of thing would be involved and maybe even basic orbital mechanics (which the game Kerbal Space Program taught me, but anyway). That sounds like fun. I wish our education system gave you the flexibility to do random courses like that.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    XXXX
    I was losing my mind in a way that was disturbingly visible and I couldn't stand the mixture of fear and shame. Now I'm working at a nursery school and signed up to start an EMT program. Things are much better without the stress of school, though I miss structured learning.
    You got to do what's right for you, that's for sure. Good luck in the EMT program. Maybe we can swap knowledge on how to patch bullet holes.

Buy my book

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Has anyone recently started school or going back soon? ...

Anyway, what about you...what classes are you taking, how do you feel going in, etc...?
    yes, i'm doing a graphic design certificate program part time while using the rest of my time to work / fuck around / have a life. i pretty much hate school and everything it does to me. i hate being told what to think about, how much time to spend thinking about something, and where to be at what time. the meaninglessness of it all is always sucking me in like a black hole, but if i manage to pay attention and keep up sometimes i'm exposed to something that might enrich my life. it's difficult cuz i'm surrounded by such apathy. everybody's just getting by and i guess i can't blame them. as a student i have poor discipline, but right now i'm getting straight As. i'm hoping to get accepted to a master's program before i finish this one.
    chatting on discord

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post

Oh and I recently started my second masters degree (part time whilst working full time) in computational intelligence. Just finished a research methods and fuzzy logic classes. Doing swarm intelligence/genetic/memetic algorithms (evolutionary computing) and neural networks from February.

Next year... philosophy of AI, logic programming (Prolog), data mining, and robotics programming (mainly PIDs, sensors, actuators and register-level C code, as I understand). All good stuff!
    You're still single, right? Have you considered guys? Perhaps one that would go to strip clubs with you and drink whiskey?