Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it OK to talk during movies? (How I annoy my SO)

Type
    INTx

Is it OK to talk during movies? (How I annoy my SO)

I don't talk as much at movie theaters, as at home watching a DVD, and when I do, I talk in a very hushed volume to not annoy other people in the theater.

But at home, it seems to me that an important part of the shared viewing enjoyment is to exchange in commentary during the movie, during the green light segments (during gaps in dialogue.) Of course if it's a suspenseful scene you should keep your comments brief like "NO DON"T OPEN THAT DOOR." Unfortunately I and my SO don't see eye to eye on this matter. I get shushed a lot which I take as an affront, an attempt to suppress my freedom of speech.

Type
    INFP
    Hell no

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    Hell no
    LOL - an unequivocal answer

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Ha, no I've been around too many people who would get seriously angry if you did this.

That said, any film I actually want to watch I too would be seriously angry if you talked through it.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Absolutely! Especially if it's a humorous comment. As long as it doesn't collide with any of the actual dialogue, as you mention, I don't see any problem.

Shushing, on the contrary, is unacceptable and I take it as an indication that the other person has a lousy sense of humour. (No offense to your SO!)

Type
    INTx
    @Ferrus ;Glad I asked. These replies are going to boost my empathy capacity. The shushing tends to be counterproductive by inducing some passive aggressiveness on my part. I'l make an effort to be more understanding in the future.

Type
    INTP
    It depends on the company, the movie and what's going on. Generally if it's a halfway decent movie and anything interesting is happening or there's dialogue then you should keep your mouth shut. The crappier/slower the movie, the more acceptable it becomes. Also it depends on whether what you're saying is funny or interesting ("NO DON'T OPEN THAT DOOR"? We'd better be stoned and watching an utter piece of trash). And of course say whatever you want if everyone's seen it before.

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    Absolutely! Especially if it's a humorous comment. As long as it doesn't collide with any of the actual dialogue, as you mention, I don't see any problem.

Shushing, on the contrary, is unacceptable and I take it as an indication that the other person has a lousy sense of humour. (No offense to your SO!)
    That's how I've seen it. But I guess you also have to take into account your movie viewing company.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post

nonsense! Shhhh! SHHHH!

I find it egotistical when people talk during movies. As if they want to dominate your interpretation instead of letting you see what you want to see.

Discussion is for afterwards.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I get shushed a lot which I take as an affront, an attempt to suppress my freedom of speech.
    Have you considered producing scabrously satirical cartoons about your SO and putting them up in the kitchen?
    Last edited by ferrus; 01-27-2015 at 12:51 PM.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein