Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oscar Nominations 2015 (Thread #1)

Type
    INFP

Oscar Nominations 2015 (Thread #1)

The List

This thread is for catharsis: the expression of angst and/or joy over the exclusion and inclusion of various movies in the nominations list.

I will add my thoughts on the movies I've seen later. Right now the only thing that really bothers me is the exclusion of Selma from the Best Director category.
    Last edited by Blorg; 01-29-2015 at 12:49 AM. Reason: thanks msg_v2

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    The List

This thread is for catharsis: the expression of angst and/or joy over the exclusion and inclusion of various movies in the nominations list.

I will add my thoughts on the movies I've seen later. Right now the only thing that really bothers me is the exclusion of Selma from the Best Director category.
    A movie about the civil rights movement with a black protagonist? That would just be crazy.

Type
    INTP
    You cant just make a movie about nazis or slavery (or civil rights) every godamn year and expect to be a shoe in. These dramas should have their own category.

Type
    INTP
    BTW I've been waiting for @Spartan26 to make an oscar thread. What happened? Is he not our oscar man anymore? Or did he just run out of swag.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Anyway, I want Grand Budapest to win, but I haven't seen any of the others. Also, the soundtrack to that movie was incredible.

Boyhood and Birdman sound like they might be worth a watch.

Type
    eNTP
    Interesting. I went through the list of nominees, and the only movies with nominations that I've seen are the Lego movie (nominated for a song), Winter Soldier (for effects), and Guardians of the Galaxy (make-up and hair, visual effects).

Almost all of the remaining nominations are for movies I've only ever heard of because someone mentioned them in the "I just saw" thread, and even that doesn't cover most of the noms. I have no connection to this year's crop of movies.

I expect the gap will be even wider next year. Movies cost too much.

On the plus side: not having TV service seems to be doing wonders for my not knowing anything about what's currently or about to be in theaters. I think that's pretty awesome.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INTP
    This year's Oscars will be the whitest

Once again this year, millions of Americans will watch the movie industry's annual tribute to nepotism, cronyism, elitism, racism, and sexism known as the "Academy Awards," where overhyped celebrities from the world of make-believe, wearing suits and gowns that cost more money than many Americans make in a year, strut ostentatiously before groveling sycophants and idolaters.

This year's charade, however, was made even more farcical after the world learned that, on the date of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's eighty-sixth birthday, all the nominees for best actor, best actress, best supporting actor, and best supporting actress are white.

Sorry, I had to put that somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopharian View Post
    BTW I've been waiting for @Spartan26 to make an oscar thread. What happened? Is he not our oscar man anymore? Or did he just run out of swag.
    Sorry, it's coming. Swag will prolly be limited this year but I will do a cash prize. It may be another week or two.

Type
    INTP
    I really liked the screenplay to Top Five. Paramount made a big splash when they bought the movie at TIFF but then dropped the ball in marketing it and getting it out for awards. In one sense it's a tough sell but the reviews had been quite strong.

I love Emma Stone but I didn't think her performance in Birdman was nomination exceptional. Maybe had there been more to it. The women in that film overall didn't have that much to contribute (based on writing not their performance). I really wondered about the ex-wife. I was expecting her to be either more volatile or swarmy or something but more of device for intro'ing info.

I don't know if I wouldn't have put Jake Gyllenhaal in for best actor for Nightcrawler. A couple of those films I hadn't seen.

I liked Boyhood but if not for the sorta "real-time" production of the film, I don't know if it would've been nominated. Maybe, the Oscars love them some auteurs. (As long as you're not named Spike). The Artist was an enjoyable film but BP worthy?? Still scratching my head. Considering how most of the voting academy were around to see silent films, you would've thought they'd realize it was just a run of the mill version at best.

Hi-yo!

Type
    INFP
    Most years I'm willing to wade through the movies deemed important by the Academy but I don't have much interest this year. I've almost seen the Imitation Game about four times but blew it off each time. I heard Selma does a real hatchet job on LBJ. Boyhood is long (but I'll probably see it). American Sniper heavily features people calling eachother baby with southern accents in the trailer.

I saw Grand Budapest Hotel and thought it was a little too precious. All the Wes Anderson kitsch with less of the sentiment. It's my least favorite movie of his in a long time.

I really want to see Birdman. I love the cast.

I loved the music in Interstellar. Does that make me sound like a rube? I hear people shit on Hans Zimmer all the time but I love him.

I thought it was a pretty good year for popcorn movies, but movies knuckledraggers like will have to settle for being rewarded with mountains of cash. John Wick was a below the radar, solid action movie. I thought the Winter Soldier was pretty well done and is the best Marvel movie so far. Days of Future Past was a breath of fresh air after so many utterly terrible X-Men movies.

I'll eventually see Whiplash, Gone Girl, Foxcatcher, Ida and whatever other movies win in major categories. I'm really looking forward to Reese Witherspoon's dress more than anything but this is the wrong forum for that.

My favorite movie of the year was Top Five. It had the feel of a Woody Allen move (I didn't see Magic in the Moonlight, but I intend to). Rosario Dawson was outstanding. It seems strange to me that she didn't get more Oscar buzz. It's rare for the Academy to pay attention to movies about contemporary black culture. They have a real hard-on for period pieces in general.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?