Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog talk

Type
    iNtP

Dog talk

Ok, so i want to ask other members if there dog's - or pets, have learned to communicate with them. I have a dog who, has LEARNT to communicate with me in a way in which i did not teach her. for example, when i ask her something which I HAVE taught her, she has TAUGHT me that, if she sits when i ask her something, it means 'no'. Im curious to know if anyone else has developed ways in which they communicate with their fury companions, or other pets!
    Last edited by mhc; 01-30-2015 at 10:18 AM.
    Just look at the blue sky

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    The bird I own has different cries and noises for "Are you there?", "DANGER!", "Don't go", "Please give me some attention", "I am happy", "ANGRY!!!" and "Sorry" in addition to his song and general chatter, most of which I am sure are congenital.

Type
    iNtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    The bird I own has different cries and noises for "Are you there?", "DANGER!", "Don't go", "Please give me some attention", "I am happy", "ANGRY!!!" and "Sorry" in addition to his song and general chatter, most of which I am sure are congenital.
    Im curious to know how you worked out 'DANGER' and 'ANGRY'
    Sometimes if i ask my dog if she wants to go outside, she sits down - giving a clear indication of no

What sort of bird do you own, I to used to own a bird ( a rainbow lorikeet) - she was a jealous thing but very loyal - who also had different noises for different things.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by mhc View Post
    Im curious to know how you worked out 'DANGER' and 'ANGRY'
    He cries danger when a larger bird flies past the window or when I have a visitor he's never seen before. The angry noise I know from play-fighting and taking away some item of food which he already claimed to be his.

Sometimes if i ask my dog if she wants to go outside, she sits down - giving a clear indication of no
    That is practical and awesome.

What sort of bird do you own, I to used to own a bird - she was a jealous thing but very loyal - who also had different noises for different things.
    A European goldfinch which, despite its minute size, seems to think it's an eagle. I had different, larger birds when I was a kid, but none that were as bold as this one.

What was the bird you had? Jealousy and loyalty suggests a parrot of some kind, or at least a cockatiel.

Edit: Ah, just saw your revision. Rainbow lorikeets are great. Wasn't she loud, though?

Type
    iNtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    :Edit: Ah, just saw your revision. Rainbow lorikeets are great. Wasn't she loud, though?
    Not as bad as some other lorikeets I've seen, she did however have a nasty little habit of squawking her high pitched 'love' squawk in my ear, while sitting on my shoulder. Apart from that and her greeting squawk , her noise was tolerable. I actually hadn't thought of her for awhile as she died a few years back , but i find myself reminiscing now Before she died I could actually let her flutter off and then go and collect her - she flew over the fence once and I had to go knock on the neighbours door to get her back.

He cries danger when a larger bird flies past the window or when I have a visitor he's never seen before. The angry noise I know from play-fighting and taking away some item of food which he already claimed to be his.
    Sounds like you have a good relationship with him

The goldfinch's look nice, and If i were to have another bird I think idea prefer one that could whistle a nice song. I bought a house a few months ago, and every morning I listen to the native birds (mainly some small finches and doves) singing outside my bedroom window - as I've trees just outside.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by mhc View Post
    Not as bad as some other lorikeets I've seen, she did however have a nasty little habit of squawking her high pitched 'love' squawk in my ear, while sitting on my shoulder.
    Haha, this reminded me:

I actually hadn't thought of her for awhile as she died a few years back , but i find myself reminiscing now Before she died I could actually let her flutter off and then go and collect her - she flew over the fence once and I had to go knock on the neighbours door to get her back.
    She sounds like a great bird. It must be great to be able to take them outside.

...every morning I listen to the native birds (mainly some small finches and doves) singing outside my bedroom window - as I've trees just outside.
    Enviable!

Type
    iNtP
    oh, I just remembered, when ever my dog used to hear my birds greeting noise, she would run to the back door as she knew someone was there!

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i recently got to dogsit a dog (for his primary dogsitters) & learned his communication tricks really quickly. within one day, i knew when he had to go pee. he does this little thing with his tail and he whines, staring out the window/door longingly. he's a really good dog, but he likes to kick up his poo onto his back somehow.

i understand my chickens pretty well. they're remarkably sociable animals, or they can be. it depends on the individual chicken. when they were younger, they'd fly up onto my shoulders. i have one, the attention-seeker of the group, who enjoys knocking food out of my hand like an asshole just to mess with me.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 01-30-2015 at 01:58 PM.

Type
    INXX
    Milo has several vocalizations. I know what he wants even when I'm not in the room and there are other things he tells me...
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

Type
    INTP
    I have a border collie/heeler pup (almost a year old). He's very intelligent. I previously had a corgi who I thought was a genius but this dog has impressed me too. Both herding dogs but my corgi had a lot of grit and not a lot of athleticism. The BCxH is really athletic. If I play ball with him inside he leaps completely over the couch instead of running around it to fetch a toy. Can pogo stick in the air (head above 5') to see what his girlfriend is up to next door.

To answer your question, yes, he sits when he wants to convey no. He shakes when he wants you to do something or to get your attention. Not as vocal (yet?) as the corgi.