Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: You are in a Supermarket.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    You will never. You'll NEVER do it. For years, I'll sit around waiting for you to interpret them, but you won't get around to it.
    This is the rage of a child with a P parent that makes promises they never keep, who as an adult refuses to delegate anything that makes them happy to anyone else. You probably buy your own birthday presents, while shunning anyone who attempts to shower you with gifts or best wishes. Because what's worse than not getting a gift? Getting one that clearly indicates the person has no idea who you are, what you like or what makes you happy.

Psychological analysis is 95% projection.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    It's an Irish son of a bitch. I recognize him from a day he was walking through a forest looking for four-leafed clovers. I tap his shoulder and smile. He drops the Oreos and runs like the devil is after him, knocking down sales stands and jumping over a cash register in the process.
    He does make for a dashing Daphne

Utisz, I'm officially taking over your thread until you get your ass back here.

I encourage @Horatio to do the same, because he's an armchair psychologist too.

Edit: scratch that. You're way too good at this!
    Last edited by Mxx; 08-04-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    1) You are in a supermarket. You are pushing a trolley through it. You come upon the bread aisle. What is it like? Details, please.
    Well, it's got lots of bread in many different forms, from whole wheat to white and smells like a bakery. I imagine there's some pastries mixed in to tempt me as well.
    You don't have a fetish. You have all the fetishes.

Also, you are now Freddie Mercury in my mind for some reason.

Type
    INxP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Based on the current pattern (though admittedly, the sample size is minute), I predict that gator will get her interpretation on the 23rd, anan on Apr 24, Logan on June 6, Oso on July 30, LightLeak on Oct 5--and it won't be long after that the interval grows so large Utisz forgets the whole thing. So for me, this is clearly just another forest.
    Utisz was a couple days earlier than predicted for gator, but this is clearly offset by how late he is for Anon. I stand by my previous observation as 'optimistic'.
    There's a queue.
    *cough.
    Welp. We weren't promised a five minute turnaround on this one. Lesson noted.
    Cleanup on aisle 12: trees have taken root.

1) You are in a supermarket. You are pushing a trolley through it. You come upon the bread aisle. What is it like? Details, please.
    There are many types of 'artisan' bread. Basically just different varieties of unsliced crusty breads. They come in various shapes from rounds to torpedoes to loafs to flats. They also come in a variety of densities and smells. The pumpernickel smells very good. They bake fresh every day here, but there's also a good selection of cheaper day old loaves. Their bagels are fluffy and chewy, and the croissants melt in your mouth. There are no donuts or plastic bags in evidence. Everything is either on display or in light paper wrapping.
    Clearly life is full of variety for you, with shelves full of interesting things for you to sample, things of different shapes and sizes, from the artisanal to the everyday. You don't tend to shun anything that is authentic and full-bodied, where even the day-old bread seems proper and wholesome.

You do resent, however, the potential presence of doughnuts and plastic bags ... it's not that they are popular or common (the day old loaves you seem to welcome) but rather you reject the creeping flimsy consumerism that they represent, the mass-production turning everything bland, flimsy and samey.

The fact that the bread is also thus "naked" -- without its plastic wrapping -- means that you are not squeamish about nature taking its course (the possibility of the bread drying out or other people pawing the loaves, or, at a stretch, ageing and mortality in general) ... of course the naked bread also suggests that you look past superficiality in whatever form.

The fact that the bread is not sliced hints to a hard work ethic, meaning that you believe that one has to work to achieve what they want and perhaps that you are not afraid of getting "stuck in" when something needs doing or catches your eye. You like doing things yourself and are probably not big on calling in "experts" for small issues, nor on convenience for convenience's sake---convenience at the cost of other, more important things. Put another way, you probably see "raw potential" in places where other people would not.

2) You push your trolley further. You're in the dairy aisle. You pick up a bottle of milk. It goes off in four days. What do you do?

I happen to know that the sell by date is not the same as the day it will sour. It's got a good week or so left beyond that date as long as I don't open it. The milk will go sour within a week of opening it no matter how many days are left before the sell by. I'm no sucker though. I flag down a store worker and ask if I can get a discount.
    Again that lack of squeamishness comes to the fore: you approach things rationally rather than reacting on an emotional level.

There's also a rejection of authority here: you reject the date that authority has put on the bottle for telling you what's "safe" and "not safe". The "authorities" do not necessarily know more than you, nor, clearly, do they always have your best interest at heart. Flagging down the store worker also suggests that you are not reserved when dealing with people, especially when getting what you deserve; it seems like the discount is more a question of fairness and perhaps even testing the authority (again the price should be negotiable to you) rather than just accepting authority at face value. It seems reasonable to get a discount no matter what the price says and your questioning of the status quo -- and your knowledge about the milk -- should pay off.

Flagging down the clerk also suggests a certain confidence that you will get what you want (or what is fair), which suggests a sense of assertiveness and perhaps confidence and security in your place in the world; put another way, probably many people would think "what's the point" with a sense of defeat, or would think perhaps they are "wrong" to ask for a discount, but not you.

(What I'm wondering is what happens if the clerk says "I only work here" and the manager they get says "sorry, only marked discounts are available". Do you shrug it off? I'm guessing you do not buy the milk in protest. But did you want the milk? Hmm. Anyways, it's not part of the fantasy. )

3) You push your trolley further. You want to buy Oreos. Someone is blocking them. Describe the person. What do you do?

It's a couple of women who are debating which Oreos to buy. They're engaged in a subtle war because they clearly have differing ideas about what makes for the ideal Oreo, but neither wants to be a bossy bitch. I remember that the last three packages of Oreos I've purchased royally sucked as if they'd gone to the now defunct Hydrox brand and jacked that shitty recipe to use. I move on shaking my head at how the once great cookie has crumbled.
    The women don't really seem to annoy you, which suggests that you are not a strong introvert. Rather you seem to be observing them and building an analysis of them that might either help in dealing with them later, or perhaps in your reading of people at another date. In the end, they are not even in your way; hence it seems like you don't view other people -- strangers -- as a major obstacle or something to be avoided, but often rather as a curiosity to observe. Probably this means that you feel okay with protecting your own space, meaning that you are not afraid to say "no" if the plans of other people do not suit you.

Rejecting the Oreos that let you down suggests that you place a strong value on loyalty, and while willing to give another chance (you tried three packs), at some stage when you come to a greater understanding of the situation and understand that it's not likely to change, you are willing to let go. But there's also a sense of nostalgia, like with the shitty new recipe, that that creeping consumerism is again watering everything down.

4) You push your trolley further. A sale is announced on the intercom. What items are on sale? Will you buy these items?

Meat. All meat is on sale. And hell yes I'm buying these items. I came here for meat in the first place. I just got sidetracked when I remembered I was low on Creme Fraishe and goat cheese.
    Again it seems that life is full of possibilities for you, and if you keep your eye open and look for opportunities, and apply your knowledge, good things will happen for you. There's thus a definite sense of optimism in you, not just that what you came to the store for is on sale, but also that you remembered/found the creme fraiche and the goats cheese you forgot about. Assertively saying "Meat." means that you're not surprised and even expected the sale to be something you are interested in, yet another opportunity there to be taken.

There's also a sense that you like the simple/raw things in life ... like meat, cheese and bread. You like things that are simple and raw, but done well.

5) You push your trolley further. You reach the hygiene aisle. Something is spilt on the floor. Describe it in detail.

Looks like a wino got into the Tresseme again. There's some alcohol in most shampoos and nobody notices a grubby person heading for the hygiene aisle. It's a mixture of lather, heavy white goo, and what might have been a sandwich. The smell is putrid with an undertone of coconut and kiwi. Looks like they were on their second bottle when they started refunding their shoplifted shamhooch. Strangely there is also a large quantity of ribbon floss--looks waxed, wide, and probably cinnamon. I guess they were trying for something like Fireball.
    Haha, well you have a creative side too it seems. There's a sense of understanding, like what would be a mystery to most people you try to understand based on your knowledge and previous experiences, connecting the dots, like that it is to be expected that the winos would go for the Tresseme, and that the cinnamon floss matches the Fireball flavour. Also there's perhaps a sense of pride in street smarts, almost like there's a sense of empathy or of an attempt to understand the wino's motives rather than a reactive disgust. Reaching further, it's a bit like there's a part of you in that wino, like the creative cocktail recipes, the knowledge that while the alcohol aisle is the obvious choice it is also the one with most risk by that fact, that the easy pickings alcohol-wise are in the hygiene aisle, and also the clash with authority and normality---and that one can always try to make the most of any situation. Not that you would drink Tresseme with a cinnamon-floss twist, and maybe I'm reaching, but I think there's a part of that wino in you, though I'm not sure what to read into that.

6) You are at the back of a long checkout queue. A new queue opens right beside you. How do you react?

I don't give a shit. I picked the line I was willing to wait for. Besides, I really want to watch this middle aged woman fill out a fucking check. The interplay as the cashier scavenges her identification for additional information is always such a delight to endure. It's totally just as fast as cash or debit. Really--it doesn't take 10 times as long, it just feels like it because of how many more minutes are required to perform the transaction.

I wait a moment to see if anyone ahead of me lurches over, then I take the opportunity to get the fuck out of there.
    At first, again a sense of loyalty and patience, of standing by your decisions; again a sense of observing both the lady and the cashier, of wanting to buck the trend; and again a sense of wanting to soak things in, of trying to observe and understand what's around you rather than going blindly for what is most convenient.

What is a bit tricky here is that you say you don't give a shit, but in the end you do move over, which is surprising. I'm not 100% sure what to read into this. Given that you leave an opportunity to those in front to move over first, perhaps that is out of fairness, but the word "lurches" doesn't suggest that that's the case. Rather it seems you expected one of them to lurch (mindlessly/slowly) over and given their advantage of being ahead of you, rather than be bested by them, you defined your desired outcome as different to theirs so they would not win and instead find interest in the lady filling out the cheque. I guess maybe here there's a sense of resentment for the hollow "success" that some people lurch into, like the silver spoon giving folks an easier time than you had, but also making them hollow and mindless. But when they do not move over, you see your opportunity and take it, almost like you made your peace with both options and that way, there's no winners or losers, and you can just get the fuck out of there. Again though this last part is tricky.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    @Utisz: nice. I can clarify a bit on the line switch--my knee and I argue a lot, so I tend toward a certain amount of inertia once a line is chosen. Hopping queues tends to involve more twisty motion than I like risking, but if I'm not next, I'm fine with line hopping. If the people in front of me choose to move (as they usually do) I get to the register sooner without changing direction. Optimization based on facts I didn't think to present.

I'm also of the opinion that being in a hurry is a waste of time--but I'm not averse to getting through a line faster if it inconveniences no one.

To answer your milk curiosity: stores in my vicinity tend to mark down milk that's close to off, so a manager likely would offer me at least fifty cents off. If not, I'd choose a different container of milk because I consider shelf life to be a large part of the price, and wouldn't want to overpay if I didn't have to.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    3) You push your trolley further. You want to buy Oreos. Someone is blocking them. Describe the person. What do you do?

fat lady who doesn't need the automated cart, but uses it because she is a fat lazy fuck
    wait for her to roll away or come back later

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Psychological analysis is 95% projection.

Type
    INTP

Fine, my psychological analysis of others is 95% projection.

Type
    INxP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by mhc View Post
    1 bread each side of the isle
    2 put it back
    3 busy, politely interrupt the person and tell them my intent
    4 items that need to be moved quickly, no
    5 a puddle on the floor
    6 move to the new checkout
    Well now mhc, I dunno. You're a being of few words.

What to read into your conciseness?

Why in response to (5) "Something is spilt on the floor. Describe it in detail." would you answer "a puddle on the floor"?

Were you trying to tell me who gives a fuck what the puddle was, it was just a puddle?

Or do you want to tell me that for you, it was not interesting to think on further? That puddles in hygiene aisles of supermarkets are not really of interest to you?

Were you trying to tell me that I have nothing to tell you?

Your user profile says "just dont think about it". Your answers here say the same.

My best guess is that you're chasing the dragon, maybe the one you happened upon as a kid.

In any case, here we find you, with gainful employment, some 600 odd posts, and ostensibly little interest in this interpretation.

Type
    iNtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Utisz View Post
    Well now mhc, I dunno. You're a being of few words.

What to read into your conciseness?

Why in response to (5) "Something is spilt on the floor. Describe it in detail." would you answer "a puddle on the floor"?

Were you trying to tell me who gives a fuck what the puddle was, it was just a puddle?

Or do you want to tell me that for you, it was not interesting to think on further? That puddles in hygiene aisles of supermarkets are not really of interest to you?

Were you trying to tell me that I have nothing to tell you?

Your user profile says "just dont think about it". Your answers here say the same.

My best guess is that you're chasing the dragon, maybe the one you happened upon as a kid.

In any case, here we find you, with gainful employment, some 600 odd posts, and ostensibly little interest in this interpretation.
    wow this is a blast from the past!

such as the little P type that i am, i find great knowledge and insight into your motifs and intentions for this thread and am more interested in your answers than my own. Of course we are all human, but those infinite threads of uniqueness that define what we pursue are nothing short of creative genius with untold wonders to behold.

Like what counts as being detailed and how much detail warrants giving a fuck? should something be interesting and if so than what? is this really about me or you? has what I've done previously influenced what im being asked now?

Pushing the T to the side in favour of F, i was going thru a pretty traumatic time when i answered the quiz so thought idea give another shot at it.

2) You push your trolley further. You're in the dairy aisle. You pick up a bottle of milk. It goes off in four days. What do you do?

4) You push your trolley further. A sale is announced on the intercom. What items are on sale? Will you buy these items?

5) You push your trolley further. You reach the hygiene aisle. Something is spilt on the floor. Describe it in detail.

6) You are at the back of a long checkout queue. A new queue opens right beside you. How do you react?
    1) Oh the smell. more than anything about the bread isle is the smell. such a delight. i hesitantly grip the handles of the trolly tight as i push through the isle without giving myself the time to fully indulge in the feeling, instead favouring the cold hard duties of necessity.

2) i scan the dates on the other milk bottles. i know i still have a full 2 litre in the fridge as i always have one bottle on the go and a back up. i decide to leave the epitome of stock rotator laziness in the form a a milk bottle in favour of relying on my own backup plan.

3) no sense of situational awareness! am i wrong for not putting myself first and being considerate of others and knowing when im in the way, or should i be so self obsessed in my own doings that others should wait for me. should i be more patient? anyway fuck all that - "excuse me mate, can you please move."

4) sale? you mean more stock that needs to move that isn't already. toothpaste, dog food, rice, salt, flour.

5) fluoride. blue fluoride, aka mouthwash. being so watery its spread everywhere in the hard, white polished floor. the alcoholly smell wafts into my nostrils. i recall all the bottles of this shit that i buy and never end up using because of all the crap I've read about fluoride and of the dilemma it courses me as i don't like to waste money or things, so the bottles sit there. i might use them one day and its not like it goes off. i have two bottles in the cupboard now, that should be enough...

6)(To checkout chic as i start loading my groceries onto checkout) "Hi how are you today that was good timing"
    Just look at the blue sky